Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > VPC 4

VPC 4
twistedface
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2000, 09:19 PM

I have a PowerMac 5500 with a Crescendo G3 L2 400 MHz/1MB processor and 128 MB RAM. Has anyone with a similar config tried Virtual PC 4/Win95 on their machines? I want to know if tis worth it and if there is any compatibility problems.

Allah
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2001, 04:55 PM

Interesting question. I ran RealPC on a StarMax 3000 (Mac 4400) with 96 mb ram. It ran slow but usable for MS Office but I had to run it 256 colours to get any speed. Then I got a G4 agp and slapped 320 mb ram in it and gave RealPC 220 mb. I would imagine that VPC is a resource hog as well so get more ram. Other than that it might suffer a little from the lower bus/ram speed. If I upgrade my StarMax (next few months?) I'll post my experience. Good luck
Carp� Bandwidth

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2001, 04:35 AM

If my memory serves me correctly, a PM 5500 is a PPC 603ev based system. Since it is not running a PPC 750 (G3) or 7400 (G4) you are not going to be able to run VPC4. Bumping around on the internet for the past few weeks I have been reading the various articles and user comments about it. The best repository of user feedback and some technical comments is from Ric Ford's Macintouch site. The site is a daily read for me, along with Macnn and many others.

Check out http://www.macintouch.com/vpc4.html

I think that you will find the comments to be useful. There is a letter in that repository that talks about Connectix using some of the newer features of the G3 and G4 and that precludes VPC4s use on anything older. But the good news is that people using G3 and G4 systems are enjoying a huge speed boost, in most instances.

I just noticed that you are using an accelerator card. I am unsure of the compatibility with the card, but since all processing on the system is being done by the card's processor, I would think that VPC4 would work just fine for you.

[This message has been edited by jeromep (edited 01-04-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules