Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Oni vs FAKK 2

Oni vs FAKK 2
capone
Forum Regular
May 30, 2001, 08:41 PM

What do you think? Which is better and what do you play more (and why)?

I find Oni to be a better game, although FAKK 2 is cool too.

------------------
-capone

G4/400 448 30,10 Rage128, Radeon
Performa 6116CD/60/700
Quadra AV
LC 575
LCIII
Apple IIgs

And thats not all

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 30, 2001, 09:01 PM

I've only got FAKK2. I know it's a great game, runs in X, and it can be gotten for cheap. My only quibbles with it is that it is too short and it has some sound issues, otherwise, I thought it was really cool.

Oni I heard was rather a disappointment, but still a good game.

------------------
I got a yellow slinky from Outpost.com

TomG3AKAMacguyver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 09:18 AM

Unfortunately my Mac will not really run any off them (either because I'm too near the minimum system requirements or because I get Open GL errors when i try to load them, which may be because I have a Voodoo 2 with the mesa Open GL thingy, not true supported OGL.) Not sure, but anyways, I think you should also add Rune into the mix, as it is also a 3rd Person action/adventure. If you'd like you can read what some Mac gamers had to say about these games at http://www.macgamersreview.com/
The reviews are kinda mixed. And please feel free to fill out the review form for a game and voice your opinion where it will stay up for the present and future benefit of other mac gamers looking for second opinions. That's what the site is for.

(When i get my new Mac this summer I will be getting all 3 of those games, and then I'll tell you which one is really the best one...
Cheers,
TG3
MacGamersReview.com

Arty50
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 02:48 PM

I run Oni on my rev A iMac with a Voodoo 2 and I love it. It gets a little choppy when you're in a large environment, but otherwise it runs fairly well on my slow machine.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

TomG3AKAMacguyver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 04:52 PM

Really. that's cool thanks. That's a 233 mHz I presume. Hmmm, I DL the demo and could not get it to run, as what's happened with a few demos I have tried lately (plus with the ONI Demo after I tried to run it and it didn't work I then got back to my desktop and lost the 1024x768 monitor resolution option which was weird, i did get it back after a bit of troubleshooting). I thought perhaps it was the mesa OGL thing. But perhaps it could be an ATI extension conflicting with the voodoo.

I might still just wait until I get a new Mac this summer, I'm afraid to mess around with the one I have now because I have alot of cool legacy games that run now (Quake I & II, Myth I & II, and a few others) and I'm afraid to mess them up

Thanks for the info though,

TG3
MacGamersReview.com

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 31, 2001, 09:29 PM

If you buy in the summer, you'll get a machine stocked with X. And Omni's ported Oni to Mac OS X, and since X's OpenGL implementation is superior to 9's, you'll get another boost.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2001, 03:24 PM

I've played my way through both games. Strangely enough, I have the same major gripe for each of them- they're too damn short.

If you want a shooter, then go for F.A.K.K. The graphics really are great, and the levels are well designed. On the other hand, it's not terribly difficult, and not "ground-breaking" in any significant way other than dual weapon wielding. Actually, I'd go with the earlier recommendation of Rune. Hand-to-hand combat is tricky, but damn fun. And the game is much longer and more interesting, but just as pretty.

On the other hand, if you play a lot of games (like I do) and want something totally different, go with Oni. Yeah, it's got its extensively-discussed problems, but DAMN it's cool. The fighting moves are truly great, and the animation is really fluid. Oni requires more strategy, as you'll fight fewer total opponents, but you can't just blast your way through them.

Personally, I loved Oni, short as it was. I'll play my way through that game again before I replay either F.A.K.K. or Rune (although Rune *does* have multiplayer).

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 05:13 PM

I can have a life now. I finally had time to sit down and finish Oni. Hee. Hee. I agree with schwa, despite all of Oni's supposed shortcomings that game rocks. It strikes a perfect balance between shooting and hand to hand combat. And the hand to hand is what makes it so fun. It's easy to shoot people, but it's so much nicer to kick someone's arse.

TG3,

I think your problem is MesaGL. You'll be much better off using a mixture of the GameWizard extensions, 3Dfx extensions, and Apple's OpenGL extensions. If you need the 3Dfx extensions I can email them to you.

Turn on:
3Dfx GlideLib3.x
3Dfx OpenGL Renderer
3Dfx Rave
Game Wizard MacGlide
All Apple OpenGL extensions (except the one below)

Turn off:
Game Wizard RAVE
OpenGLRendererATI

Be sure you turn off Mesa GL also. It's outdated and this mix will work much better.

TomG3AKAMacguyver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 10:46 PM

Arty50

Thanks for the info!!
I have been trying a few things and now I got it to the begining Bungie promo, but then it freezes up with the message "can't render Open GL". The only thing I am noticing is I do not have the extension called "3dfx OpenGl Renderer" (nor the "GameWizard MacGlide" one, but I'm not on an iMac so I might not need that one (?).

But yea if you can send me the OGL renderer that would be great! Cool, I just actually might be able to do play it

[email protected]

Thanks!
TG3

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2001, 03:41 PM

From what I recall, you don't need the GameWizard extensions if you're not running the iMac Gamewizard. I think you can use just the 3Dfx extensions if you're on a standard PCI Voodoo2.

Oh, and maybe this is moot, but be sure you have the Bink Shared Library Extension in your system folder. Oni needs this.

capone  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 08:55 PM

What are all the supposed shortcomings you are talking about with Oni?

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2001, 11:22 PM

No multiplayer, and it's definitely on the short side. If you're someone who likes to save your game before every encounter, you'll be frustrated by Oni's system, which has fixed save points.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2001, 02:38 AM

Check out http://macgamersreview.com for some mostly positive Oni reviews that still point out the negatives. In my opinion, it was a great concept but sort of poorly executed. For me the biggest problem -- besides the horrible graphics, and bad save system -- was the boring way the game played out. The whole game is about finding terminals which unlock doors. In addition, you fight the same enemies over and over, and you occasionally have to dodge a laser beam. The fighting is fun, though. The save system is sort of frustrating, but it isn't all that bad. I never had any trouble with the acid level that all the reviews mention (just go up the stairs and you don't have to jump at all), but I had a little bit of trouble with the rooftop level. I never finished the game -- it froze for me just before the last fight -- because the last save point was about ten minutes before the last fight. I played it through a few times, trying out people's debugging solutions, but then I just gave up.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2001, 02:40 AM

Check out http://macgamersreview.com for some mostly positive Oni reviews that still point out the negatives. In my opinion, it was a great concept but sort of poorly executed. For me the biggest problem -- besides the horrible graphics, and bad save system -- was the boring way the game played out. The whole game is about finding terminals which unlock doors. In addition, you fight the same enemies over and over, and you occasionally have to dodge a laser beam. The fighting is fun, though. The save system is sort of frustrating, but it isn't all that bad. I never had any trouble with the acid level that all the reviews mention (just go up the stairs and you don't have to jump at all), but I had a little bit of trouble with the rooftop level. I never finished the game -- it froze for me just before the last fight -- because the last save point was about ten minutes before the last fight. I played it through a few times, trying out people's debugging solutions, but then I just gave up.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2001, 02:44 AM

tie, if it freezes right before the last fight (which it did for me countless times, until......) until I went back and met griffin again--only this time not killing him, then continued the game and i got the last fight with muro.... just a thought..if you killed him, go back and do it again, but don't kill him.. it should work
ice

AAPl Shareholder
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2001, 09:33 AM

Well I have both games, a MP G4, a radeon, and OS X. I'm what'ch ya call a geek

FAKK to is cool, but I think Oni simply kicks its butt. The combat in Oni has been developed with great care... and it shows. In FAKK 2 there are a lot of times were you don't really need skills, you just need to run away or hit attack as fast as you can. However FAKK 2 plays a bit more like zelda. There are puzels in FAKK 2... in Oni you really only think of ways to kill effectivly and with style.

Oni will run in X if you don't use the mouse buttons to attack. Which sucks. An Omni update should be out soon. FAKK 2 is by far the best OS X game out right now. Tony Hawk may beat it though .

I don't really like the models in FAKK 2 either. They are not done well. People have stick arms, square heads, and triangle boobs. Oni's models looks fairly cool.

Overall I'm just fan of guns, ninjas, biiiiigggg levels, good bot AI, phat drum and bass music, and kick'n butt street fighter style once my ammo clip runs dry. Oni rocks all of that. You'll want to play levels over and over.

Did I mention you can kill and fight with inocent folks as well in Oni?! I only wish I could do that in FAKK 2.

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: AAPl Shareholder ]
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

Forum Links
Forum Rules