Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE freezes when launched with Entourage

IE freezes when launched with Entourage
JamesKass
Sep 23, 2000, 11:39 PM

Has anyone else had this problem?:

When I click a URL in Entourage, IE starts loading up and then freezes right around the time the display says "Loading Preferences and Plugins"

This only happens if IE is not launched before I click in the link in Entourage. If IE is already open, the link opens the page, no problem.

Are there prefs I can tweek to help cure this?
James Kass (no, the other one...)
[email protected]
http://NYComedyRadio.com :)

Mel
Sep 24, 2000, 12:11 AM

I have something similar. When I click on a link Entourage says there isn't enough memory to load the browser (I hve 320 megs) or to rebuild the desktop. That doesn't help.
When I change my preferred browser in internet control panel to Netscape, ironically, all works fine.
I have reistalled Offive 2001 twice to no avail.

JamesKass  (op)
Sep 24, 2000, 01:46 AM

Okay, I fixed the problem by trashing my downloads.html, history.html and Downloads Cache file (all of which were found in the ie pref's folder).

Now mel, does Enterouge say there's not enough memory or does the Finder tell you? try dumping the files I did and see if that helps. I'd hate for you to go on using Navigator (UGH!!!)

------------------
[email protected]
http://members.home.net/kassj
[email protected]

Rish
Sep 24, 2000, 08:40 AM

I have heard on other boards that by installing the version of IE that comes on the new Office disks problems between IE and Entourage are solved. Of course I don't have the disks yet so I cannot guarantee this will work.

Cheers!

Mel
Sep 24, 2000, 10:33 AM

Well, it spread to my laptop which was fine last night.. lockup on IE when launching. I did try installing the version from the Office 2001 CD, no luck there.

Will try deleting suggested files. Message was from Entourage, not the finder (OS).

Mel
Sep 24, 2000, 11:53 AM

None of the above fixes worked... and IE now can't be launched by clicking on IE documents.. altho they can be dragg launched over the IE Icon. Zapped my desktop with tech tools 3, tried Nortons, trased finer prefs...
re-installed Office 2001 twice.. someting is haywire somewhere but I am stumped.

jjabbour
Sep 24, 2000, 05:08 PM

I've had a similar problem. Ever since I installed Office 2001, I can no longer open HTML emails all the time. Sometimes, when I choose an HTML email in Entourage, it will open just fine, but other times, it freezes the whole computer. Not just Entourage, but the whole system, forcing a restart from the tower.

There is no for-sure time that this happens, though I have a feeling that it has something to do with IE, b/c it almost always happens after I have IE open. I never had this problem in Outlook Express, but strangely, now if I switch back to OE (5.0.2), I NOW get the same problem! Does this mean it's a problem with a file installed by Entourage? Probably. Anyone else having this problem?

Oh, I have found a sorta-workaround. If I turn off display complex HTML messages in Entourage preferences, it doesn't happen, but then HTML messages look bad...

Any help would be appreciated.

joshua

mrl14
Sep 24, 2000, 06:43 PM

There is a known bug with Entourage and IE. You cannot have them both launched at the same time or IE will cause a hard crash on your machine. The IE that does come with Office 2001 does sometimes work but at the moment I think we're going to have to wait for Ie 5.01 or 5.5 :/

But this is normal for Microsoft to update one program than trash another. =) That is another reason why we use macs =)

##########
www.andCentral.net
You're One Click Away From Tomorrows Music News!!

------------------
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

mrfcobf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2000, 09:11 PM

A "known bug"?? I've been running both just fine with absolutely no problems.

I did notice that upon installing the IE from the Office 2001 CD and office that DNS Plugin was disabled in the extensions manager. Maybe make sure that this is disabled, but I've found no such problem on either of two machines running both Entourage and IE 5.0.

If there is a *known* bug published somewhere, please let me know so I can avoid it...

Mel
Sep 24, 2000, 09:13 PM

Well, after tearing my hair out I fixed it (so far) by erasing my hard drive and replacing everything from a backup...
IE seems to work with Entourage, but clearly something is not good between Entourage and IE..

dzakary
Sep 24, 2000, 09:43 PM

I've had the IE crashing problem with Entourage as well. One thing that I did find that helped is running the "Microsoft Internet Self-Repair" program. The crashing comes back eventually. My guess is that Entourage is deleting or updating several libraries that IE requires.

kaiserd
Sep 24, 2000, 09:50 PM

I would bet it is one of the libraries which Microsoft provides. I trashed all the old ones and let it install all new ones. Still the same problem, even with the IE5 from the 2001 CD. If you run IE5 first, and then Entourage, things are fine. I bet something is being locked in one of the libraries, and when IE5 tries to run after Entourage, the problem occurs. Don't these guys ever test anything?

------------------

kaiserd
Sep 24, 2000, 10:13 PM

Further news!! If you run IE5 first (after re-boot), everything is then fine, even if you Quit IE5, and then run it again AFTER Entourage. Someone smarter than I am can probably explain that one!

------------------

JamesKass  (op)
Sep 24, 2000, 10:47 PM

Yet another update:

The problem came back. It may have something to do with either the history file or downloads file, because it worked for a while until my history started building up again. Possible? Anyone? Bueller?

Also, I tried trashing my favorites file, too. But that didn't help.

I tried disabling the DNS plugin. Didn't work either.

Kaiser, even sometimes if you launch and quit IE and click on a link from within Entourage, it still freezes up.

Is it crashing in the same place for everyone? For me, it seems to only crash in the IE startup screen during the "Loading Preferences and Plugins" stage.
[email protected]

jjabbour
Sep 24, 2000, 11:33 PM

Still existent problems...I have noticed though that it doesn't matter if IE was launched first (at least not for me), I still can cause it to crash. I have never crashed in IE though, is everyone else here crashing in IE? My computer crashes when I'm opening HTML emails in Entourage (sometimes--actually often--IE isn't even open). Is this a problem with anyone else?

joshua

jimmyg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2000, 12:54 AM

Make sure that neither Entourage or IE are running. Then delete the following folder:
System Folder: Extensions: ActiveX

Also delete the following file:
System Folder: Extensions: Microsoft Internet Library

Launch Entourage and it's Self Repair program will run replacing the deleted files with the most recent version. Now you should have no problems using IE/Entourage together and opening HTML mail.

kaiserd
Sep 25, 2000, 01:56 AM

jimmyg - I would love to be able to tell you that your solution worked. However, for me at least, it did not. I still have the same problem (locking up tight), and am still convinced it is a problem with at least one of the libraries. As all the libraries have been replaced by the new software, I suspect we will have to wait for a fix from Microsoft... sadly.

DavidF
Sep 25, 2000, 04:52 AM

Jimmy is with Microsoft

Originally posted by kaiserd:
jimmyg - I would love to be able to tell you that your solution worked. However, for me at least, it did not. I still have the same problem (locking up tight), and am still convinced it is a problem with at least one of the libraries. As all the libraries have been replaced by the new software, I suspect we will have to wait for a fix from Microsoft... sadly.

kaiserd
Sep 25, 2000, 08:15 AM

Another, perhaps helpful, symptom. If you run IE5 first, and then (without loading a page) run Entourage (after accessing the net with Entourage, as in checking mail), you then cannot load a page in IE5. IE5 fails to find the site you ask for. This suggests that IE5 is failing to access the DSN(s). Library problem?

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2000, 09:37 AM

Has anyone tried increasing the memory allocations for Entourage and/or IE and/or any part of Office 2001? It's something I've systematically done with any new installation, particularly with Microsoft apps, in the past couple of years and it's certainly reduced the number of crashes.

FWIW

mrfcobf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2000, 10:55 AM

JamesKass may be on to something...

I have never had problems with IE/Entourage but then again I have my "Remember the Last X Places Visited" set to 0.

I don't like having a history - so I've never used this feature... Maybe it's something with the history for you all. Give it a shot - set to 0 and see what happens...

Good luck,

Bob

JamesKass  (op)
Sep 25, 2000, 12:35 PM

(Mr Garrison Mode Well, spank my ass and call me Charlie...

Increasing the memory allocation has seemed to do the trick! I've got Entourage at Minumum 15MB and Preferred at 20MB, and IE set to Minimum 20MB and Preferred at 22MB.

I'll toy around with smaller sizes later, but for now It seems to have solved the problem. Everyone try it too and let us know if it helped your situation.

Kudos Sean.
[email protected]

JamesKass  (op)
Sep 25, 2000, 02:53 PM

I spoke too soon!

Despite increasing memory on both aps, I'm still having the problem I had before: it freezes up during the "Loading Preferences and Plugins" startup screen.
[email protected]

kaiserd
Sep 25, 2000, 03:46 PM

Well, the "reduce your History to 0" strategy has worked so far (4-5 tries). Isn't this a pain? Has anyone tried contacting Microsnot about this to see if they have any bright ideas, apologies, promises (what about IE 5.5), etc?

JamesKass  (op)
Sep 25, 2000, 04:00 PM

Hmm... I may have to try the 0 history thing, but the history feature is one of the reasons I use IE as opposed to Netscape.

In any case, at least this seems to be the root of the problem. Hopefully MS will come out with a bug fix now.
[email protected]

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2000, 05:32 PM

Try this:

1. Reboot.
2. Delete the "Microsoft Internet Library" file from the Extensions folder.
3. Move the "Explorer" folder from the Preferences folder to some other SAFE location.
4. Launch Entourage.
5. Launch Internet Explorer 5.

See if that helps. Then you can troubleshoot to see where the source of the problems are.

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2000, 11:38 PM

Hello everyone! this fixed my problems between Entourage and IE, i just restarted with extensions off (holding the shift key down) and once the machine was done booting, i immediately restarted normally and everything was fixed, i find that quite often, doing this routine will solve little problems between software...i don't understand why, but it works! Hope this helps! :-)

JamesKass  (op)
Sep 26, 2000, 01:53 PM

Duboy, your solution worked... for about three hours.

It worked fine for text links, but when clicking on a link from an HTML email, it crashed again in the same place, and from that point on it wouldn't work again, even for text links.
[email protected]

mrl14
Sep 26, 2000, 07:43 PM

Microsoft is just telling us 1 thing.

Use Netscape. Or wait for OS X.

I would say and update is forthcoming as the official release date is Oct. 11. If you got an early copy from Com[pUSA you got lucky but must deal with the bugs. For some reason after running netscape then opening IE then quitting netscape I've yet to experience another crash

------------------
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

jjabbour
Sep 28, 2000, 05:01 AM

Okay, I received this response to the question I posted to the Entouage mailing list:

* Quit Entourage
* Throw out all of the items you have in System Folder:Extensions:ActiveX
Controls
* Throw out System folderreferencesPC Registration Database
* Empty the trash
* Restart Entourage

This will hopefully help.

Dan
_________

Also, here is the explanation later sent along....

________
> I have noticed that this seems to be the common recommendation; about the
> only good thing that can be said for it is that it (sometimes) works. But is
> it really appropriate that this be the first suggestion for a potential bug?
>
> Perhaps what is needed is a way to check which of those many items really
> has a problem, and have it either report the specific cause of the problem
> or fix it automatically.
>
> Probably the biggest issue with this type of problem resolution is that it
> does nothing to identify or solve the root cause of the problem - so you
> will not know if you are going to have to do the same procedure next week,
> tomorrow, or twenty minutes from now..... Without identifying the cause, you
> will never improve the quality.

The root cause is that the Active X controls "register" with the
applications and their "registration" is stored in the PPC Registration
Database.

Through a convoluted sequence of interactions (although apparently not an
entirely uncommon one), most often encountered when mixing versions of
software packages, it's possible for an older version of the Active X
control to either "override" a newer version's registration or to "deny" it
the ability to register.

As the newer software "takes for granted" the behavior of the versions of
the Active X controls with which it is associated, the software "fails".

The problem in fixing such a behavior, is that you effectively need to
modify the behavior of the older pre-existing modules. Which simply isn't
possible.

mikel
________

Hope this works for y'all...it seems to have worked for my problems (and actually seems to have sped up Entourage significantly.

good luck
joshua

mrfcobf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2000, 09:57 AM

Will be fixed soon - I contacted Microsoft and they said:

The entourage and explorer issue is known. It should be fixed in an IE
update. The problem is there seems to be a battle between entourage's and
IE's preferences, and this is causing the problem. There should be an update
to IE coming with that fix in it.
--
[name removed]
Software Test Engineer
Microsoft Word for the Macintosh
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft

cwasko
Senior User
Sep 30, 2000, 09:15 PM

I noticed that there was a difference in the versions of the "Microsoft Component Library" and "Microsoft Internet Library" extentions. I also found that the extention "Microsoft Framework" is not even installed by Office 2001. So, what I did was remove all traces of *every* Microsoft app from my hard drive. Then, I rebooted, installed MSIE 5 from the Office 2001 disk, launched MSIE, and quit it. then I *moved* the the 3 named extensions above to the same folder that MSIE is in. Then installed Office 2001. Launched everything... and all has been working for days now.

The reason for putting the above noted extensions in the same folder as MSIE is that when apps look for shared libraries, they look in the folder of the app first, then the extensions folder.

Some of you may remember the ObjectSupportLib problem between, FileMaker, Eudora, and countless other apps. The solution to that problem was similar. Put the right verison of the lib within the apps folder...

Hope this helps everyone out. It has been running stable for a couple of days now. I use Entourage, MSIE, and the other apps quite extensively throughout the day too.

[This message has been edited by cwasko (edited 09-30-2000).]

Keith!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2000, 11:17 PM

They have been running fine for me. I just had done a fresh OS 9 install (to remove all traces of OS X). Before installing any apps, I went into the System folder and delete all Extensions / Prefs for MS products. Install Office 2001 and IE from the CD.

jchoi
Oct 1, 2000, 11:06 AM

I had similar problems not only between IE 5 and Entourage but with other Office components as well, particularly if I am opening a file or even attaching a file in Entourage. The problem was solved by turning off Power On's software Action Files. Since then (4 days now), I have not had any crashes. Weird. I have not had to delete the Active X files nor increase the memory size to IE 5 and Entourage.

jjabbour
Oct 8, 2000, 02:04 AM

Actually, lot's of these solutions didn't work. I tried them last week when I had this problem
at work. They worked for a day or so, but then stopped working again. But, I
do believe I solved the problem...

dum, dum, da duh dum...

I decided to entirely wipe my hard drive (for different reasons) before
installing Office this time around. What I did was NOT install IE5 from the
Mac disc (and even though I told the Mac installer not to install it, it
installed IE and OE anyway--I JUST DIDN'T RUN THEM, then I went through my system folder and deleted EVERYTHING Microsoft, all prefs (Explorer, OE),
all app folders, extensions (anything with MS or Microsoft in it), MS Pref
Panels from System folder, and PPC Database (just in case) then did a
Sherlock search for "MS" and "Microsoft" and deleted anything left. Get MS
off your hard drive! It was clean and spanky new and un-Redmondy...

Next I installed Office 2001 from the disk by drag-and-drop. I ran it
(letting in run the First Run Installer). It put stuff in places on my
drive. (Good for it!) I upped the memory alloc on 'Rage to be safe, and then
I restarted just to be keen.

NEXT I installed IE5 from the Office cd via drag-and-drop. (Remember, I had
already deleted all vestiges of IE from my drive). I then opened up IE (to
let it run its First Run Installer) and GUESS WHAT?!? IT DIDN'T! After
installing Office, I guess IE5 doesn't need to install any files, it just
uses Office files and libraries.

THIS IS MONUMENTAL! I haven't heard this YET on this list. When people were
saying they installed IE from the Office cd and it solved their problems,
they were probably leaving out the fact that they deleted all MS files
first...

So, YES, there is some conflict with IE stuff and 'Rage, but it can be
alleviated by installing Office FIRST on a cleaned-up drive, then installing
IE from the Office cd. (Just be sure to save your favorites elsewhere before
you delete all your current IE stuff).

This has 100% worked for me, solved all my problems and then some (knocking
on wood furiously)...

Good luck all...

joshua

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2000, 06:07 PM

Just thought I'd muddy the waters a bit more. Sounds like you're all having problems after installing NEW copies of MS Office. I have had ZERO issues with IE 5 and Office:Mac2001, but I am using the update of Office98. My IE 5 program came from downloading the bundle of IE and OE from Mactopia. The very first thing I did was to increase the memory allocation of all Office components to 25MB or more. OE 5.0.2 is still on my hard drive, just not being used. I'm using a B&W Power Mac G3 with 420MB RAM, two Maxtor hard drives in slave/master configuration, and a DSL internet connection.Just to sum up:

Office:Mac upgrade version
IE 5 from Mactopia download
Increased memory allocation
---------------------------
No problems

------------------
"There is no spoon."

JamesKass  (op)
Oct 8, 2000, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the tip JJ... I'll have to try it.

PS: We aren't all going to start calling it 'Rage, are we? For some reason I keep thinking of the old sit-com "What's Happenin'"

------------------
[email protected]
Coming soon: http://my8by10.com
[email protected]

Oct 9, 2000, 08:15 PM

Greetings,

This worked for me....at least today

Check out the post about the 'Active X' stuff from

jjabbour

earlier in this list...

Great mac community...thanks

Oct 9, 2000, 08:19 PM

See Previous Message:

Restarted twice seems to hold...today

jjabbour
Oct 13, 2000, 01:29 AM

Hope all is well....I've had zero (ZERO) problems since I totally removed all MS stuff from my drive and installed 2001 and IE from that disk...(as stated in my post from 10/8).

Has anyone done that and still has problems?

Just wondering...

btw, the entourage list is a godsend...

List-Subscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
or
List-Digest Subscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>

joshua

and yes, James, so far 'Rage seems to be the shorthand (or maybe Erage in close second, but that has TWO WHOLE syllables...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules