Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > a better LimeWire for OSX!

a better LimeWire for OSX!
wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2001, 03:34 AM

I have created a bundle of LimeWire for OSX.
If you don't know LimeWire is a really good looking Gnutella client.

You will need to download the OS9 Version of LimeWire <-Updated download site (dowload.com)
and take a few files from it and drop them into this attractive MacOS X style bundle for a fully working OSX LimeWire that is double-clickable from the Finder.

here is what it looks like:

Click here to Download the Bundle and Instructions for creating your own fully working LimeWire Application with an ultra cool OSX Icon.

Thanks to paganini for the instructions to build this bundle. This Download does not contain any copyrighted material. ie: you have to get the regular limeWire distribution yourself

[This message has been edited by wr11 (edited 05-12-2001).]

paganini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2001, 05:23 AM

wr11,

thanks for the good idea and good work... this is an excellent way to get around the legal "mumbo jumbo" as you put it.

it still doesn't change the fact, imho, that this kind of licensing on LimeWire's part is ridiculous and flys in the face what gnutella is about.

but oh well, the version posted on my site will be removed shortly, in order to stay in legal compliance with LimeWire...

-a.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 07:37 AM

Hey, that rocks! It's what they should have done in the first place. Two things, I dropped my files from the OS X install into the bundle and it ran ok but crashes every 2 minutes and uses a lot of processor time. Haven't tried the OS 9 version. How did you build the bundle?

[This message has been edited by dark3lf (edited 05-12-2001).]

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2001, 11:02 AM

Its not working here. Everytime I try to drag the 3 files over to the java directory in the bundle i get a message saying "The item 'LimeWire.jar 'could not be moved because 'Java' cannot be modified"

How do I fix this?
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2001, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by PMG4DP:
Its not working here. Everytime I try to drag the 3 files over to the java directory in the bundle i get a message saying "The item 'LimeWire.jar 'could not be moved because 'Java' cannot be modified"

How do I fix this?
Hmmm, this got me thinking about permissions but it couldn't be. When you copy the App from the disk image it "becomes" yours permission wise.

Did you copy it from the Disk Image? I know this is a dumb question, but I just downloaded it and it worked fine. Maybe Try Copying the Bundle to another location on your HD, this should set all the permissions to you.

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2001, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
Hey, that rocks! It's what they should have done in the first place. Two things, I dropped my files from the OS X install into the bundle and it ran ok but crashes every 2 minutes and uses a lot of processor time. Haven't tried the OS 9 version. How did you build the bundle?

[This message has been edited by dark3lf (edited 05-12-2001).]
I think the instability is probably due to the fact its a Java Application. Also, being a part of the gnutella network...tends to eat bandwidth...I'm not sure about processor though.

The Bundle was set up using Apples MJRAppBuilder that comes with the Developer Tools. All I did was follow paganini's directions in another forum and created the App Bundle. After I had a fully working LimeWire Application I deleted the 3 files from the Java directory (these are the files from the LimeWire Distribution that can not be redistributed)
So at this point I have an Application that doesn't work, but all it needs is those three files from the OS9 distribution.

If anyone can report success following the instructions and getting this to work, please post here. I want to make sure that it does in fact work!? It should, but who knows

clock melter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2001, 02:35 PM

wr11,

Thanks for posting the beautiful LimeWire icons. I have had no trouble building the app, I haven't been able to get your icon to appear in the dock. Using the package you posted, I am able to see the icon in finder, but when I launch the app, the icon in the dock is generic. :confused

clock melter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2001, 02:36 PM

[This message has been edited by clock melter (edited 05-12-2001).]

clock melter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2001, 02:39 PM

I'll be a veteran member in no time if I keep triple posting.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by wr11:
I think the instability is probably due to the fact its a Java Application. Also, being a part of the gnutella network...tends to eat bandwidth...I'm not sure about processor though.

The Bundle was set up using Apples MJRAppBuilder that comes with the Developer Tools. All I did was follow paganini's directions in another forum and created the App Bundle. After I had a fully working LimeWire Application I deleted the 3 files from the Java directory (these are the files from the LimeWire Distribution that can not be redistributed)
So at this point I have an Application that doesn't work, but all it needs is those three files from the OS9 distribution.

If anyone can report success following the instructions and getting this to work, please post here. I want to make sure that it does in fact work!? It should, but who knows
Oh yes, please don't misunderstand. It certainly does work. All I had to do was drag those 3 files into the Java directory and launch the bundle and it worked just fine. Until it crashes. It seems to work better launching it from the terminal though, never had it crash. But I like this way better, I'll keep trying.

paganini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2001, 03:34 PM

in regards to stability differences between terminal and bundle launching:

when you launch limewire from the terminal (after having installed the offically supported way) the app is managed through the LaunchAnywhere environment... which is horrendously complex... basically, its a script generated by installanywhere that makes various setting to the java VM and then launch limewire inside of that. It is more than likely that there are VM settings getting passed through this script that might be increaseing the stabilty of LimeWire... translating these settings into a MRJ app might be hard... namely, figuring out jsut what exactly is being done by install anywhere... the instructions that have been posted on here and elsewhere were the most barebones in terms of getting LimeWire running outside of Launch/Installanywhere.

there are lots of places you can tweak java vm settings in MRJAppBuilder, such as RAM usage, etc...

of course, this being said, i've got remarkable stabilty with LimeWire on my pismo 500.

one thought, try making sure that your app uses apple installed classes wherever possible. that is, the only two jar files that HAVE to be in the bundle are limewire.jar (because this is the limewire code itself) and collections.jar (becasue these classes aren't part of the standard java distro which is included in os x). swing.jar need not be part of the bundle, since those classes are available from the os x installation of java.

why this should have anything to do with stability, i'm not sure, except persumably, the java distro that comes installed should be used whenever possible... just for good form.

-a.

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2001, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by clock melter:
wr11,

Thanks for posting the beautiful LimeWire icons. I have had no trouble building the app, I haven't been able to get your icon to appear in the dock. Using the package you posted, I am able to see the icon in finder, but when I launch the app, the icon in the dock is generic. :confused
Well, here is another MacOS X Mystery. I have had no trouble with the icon in the finder or in the dock.
Try Copying it somewhere and dragging it to the dock. Interestingly enough, on my machine at least, when I drag it to the dock it only will make a space for it on the right side of the divider, but then jumps it to the left side when I drop it.
Does the icon show up yet? or Do you mean after you double click the app, and the icon shows up in the dock when its opening?

woah, after reading this over I can tell I just had a nap, and my brain hasn't had enough oxygen. Ahhh, days off are great! Somewhat better now.

clock melter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2001, 06:16 PM

wr 11,

No luck. Thanks for the reply. If I figure it out, I will post here.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 08:39 AM

Get the latest version of LimeWire 1.4b it fixes a lot of things. Drop LimeWire.jar and collections.jar into the bundle and you're good to go. No more hogging the processor and very few crashes. Thanks for the bundle wr11.

clock melter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2001, 05:49 PM

1.4b does it for me. wr11's icons work perfectly. It's all goood!

clock melter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2001, 05:55 PM

grrrrr. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by clock melter (edited 05-14-2001).]

clock melter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2001, 05:57 PM

1.4b does it for me. wr11's icons work perfectly. It's all goood!

garrythegarlic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2001, 05:05 AM

Total coolness!! I have noticed some weirdness relating to the dock, but other than that it runs great.

I couldent drag the app into my docks applications section, it wanted to put it in the documents.... however if I run it, it would show up with the other apps, and I just said "keep in dock" and its all good.

10 minutes later, I'm finding that it seems that this is sometimes causing my dock to lock up. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes I have to goto CLI and kill it, but either way it hogs TONS of CPU time before it dies (the dock that is, not the Limewire app). The Limewire app its self continues running, but causes all sorts of weirdness in the dock.

I have not had enough time to confirm this, but it seems that NOT doing the "keep in dock" deal fixes this. Seems odd to me since while its running its in the dock anyway, but perhaps it is treated different when it is just a guest there. I duno.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2001, 09:40 PM

When I click on the link to download the software all I get is a window of "garbage". If there something I am doing wrong?

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2001, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by PHoynak:
When I click on the link to download the software all I get is a window of "garbage". If there something I am doing wrong?
Well, if you are using Explorer (you really should check out OmniWeb) You will need to control-click the link to download it. I saved it as a .dmg file, which explorer tries to load in a window instead of downloading it (another plus for Omniweb as it downloads it). DMG files are OSX's image files and when they are downloaded they are mounted and ready to go...kinda easy

------------------

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
May 16, 2001, 08:24 AM

This is cool, much like "Scouter" was before they shut down the Scour Exchange network.

Anyway, I have a problem, I've read most of the FAQs but I just don't seem to be able to download a file. Other people have uploaded files from me, and I can see and contact other clients to download, but I just haven't had success getting any files (says "couldn't download").

I'm on an OSX G4 connected to a mac running OS9 and IPNetrouter which is running an ADSL modem (The ADSL modem is usb, so I can't connect OSX directly to it - no alcatel OSX USB drivers ). Port 6346 is mapped through IPNetrouter, and LimeWire is forcing the IP of the external ADSL connection, but still no joy.

Any ideas??

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
May 19, 2001, 03:10 AM

guys, can someone help? This is not on the topic of getting Limewire, though...

I was using v1.4 and it quit itself about 6 times a day, but other than that it was fine. Then I switched to 1.4b and since then it hasn't quit itself, but all my new downloads are transferred to the trash! (~/private/.trashes... or something), and my incomplete downloads are now stored in a new incomplete file in my home directory, not on the Firewire disk I had them on before. I checked my download folder in Limewire's prefs and it's not changed. What can I do???

thanks for listening

[edit:] Well, I just checked again, and my download folder was set to ~/private/.trashes

But that still does not answer why it was reset, and why to the trash? Somebody's joke? I don't get it......

[This message has been edited by lucylawless (edited 05-19-2001).]
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 20, 2001, 01:50 PM

THANKS, i got it on the first try. I have been using the ones from OS X and 9, but this is far superior

THanks a bunch

no more terminal

m2
May 20, 2001, 03:21 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/wr11/LimeWireOSX.dmg

Is coming up as an invalid link....

Any ideas?

M2

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2001, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by m2:
http://homepage.mac.com/wr11/LimeWireOSX.dmg

Is coming up as an invalid link....

Any ideas?

M2
It still works fine for me. Be Aware, though, that Explorer does not recognize .dmg files as to be downloaded. You will have to control-click and "download link" or something like that.

I'm glad to make this a little easier and definitely cooler looking than the regular LimeWire distribution.

Also, if anyone out there knows of more top quality Java Apps please point them to me. I would like to make more bundles and icons. Of course, that is if I like them

morgan
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 08:12 AM

hoofhearted, I have the same problem with the mp3rage client for the gnutella network. Once in a great while I'll get something to download but usually not. It's a real drag. So I kinda doubt it's limewire, but who knows.

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 01:33 PM

This is the first version of LimeWire that has been stable enough for me to actually search for and download files.

------------------
/mal
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by morgan:
hoofhearted, I have the same problem with the mp3rage client for the gnutella network.
it's just so bizarre. I have one osx box and on OS9 box behind IPNetrouter. LimeWire on the OSX box allows others to connect and upload my collection , but not allow me to download. On the OS9 box I can download, but no-one has successfully uploaded from me!

ahh, all fun and games. I guess I'll have to be a leecher for a bit!

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2001, 12:01 AM

I am just restarting this thread because I noticed a few more limewire questions lately. I know, its not dead yet...yet...

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2001, 12:27 AM

Well, has anyone tried to install the newer version of LimeWire using the same system here.cause i did, ain't no work�

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
<STRONG>Well, has anyone tried to install the newer version of LimeWire using the same system here.cause i did, ain't no work�</STRONG>
the newest version doesnt require this
it works w/out having to do all that moving of files...just double click on the icon after u install the program, and it works
just like it shouldve to begine w/...
i wear maroon so your blood doesn't show

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 08:07 PM

The OS X version?

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2001, 11:36 PM

yep, been out fer a few months now
try download.com
i wear maroon so your blood doesn't show