Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone run IE5 carbon on macsos9.x?

Anyone run IE5 carbon on macsos9.x?
oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2000, 04:33 AM

Just got my copy a few days ago, and long story short, i installed macosx, and had it running fine.
I then dragged the ie5 carbon app into macos9, and launched it after i booted into 9.04, and ran the application. It worked great. Fast, but kinda cpu hoggy. (as if ie5 on macos was any better +P)

Give it a try, and lemme know what kinda results you cats get.

------------------
-See Yea!

M3D Jack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2000, 09:14 AM

I ran a copy of IE 5.1b1 in Mac OS 9.0.4 on a G3/450 with 176MB of RAM. It wasn't fast at all IMHO. In fact, it felt really sluggish, but then again, I didn't have DP4 on the box at all. It crashed after approximately two and a half minutes of use. Anyhow, the novelty wore off quick, and I went back to using IE5 for Mac OS 9. I guess it's cool if you are running DP4 a lot.

AAPl Shareholder
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2000, 06:41 AM

I wonder what happens if I stick the carbon lib in to the classic boot process on OS X. I wonder if I could open a carbon app with classic. Hummmm
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

Ununnilium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2000, 09:39 PM

I just tried it after reading this topic. I'm actually writing this with IE 5 Carbon right now. Rendering is slower. Everything else seems to work about the same though. One neat thing is that IE 5 Carbon supports live resizing of its windows under OS9. Neat.

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2000, 06:31 AM

All of the sudden IE Carbon stopped working for me under OS X. It'll launch but the LaunchCFMApp thread gets stuck at the launch phase and never completes. I trashed the "prefs" and still nothing. The IE app isn't a bundle and I can't imagine what else could have changed- unless the program itself got corrupted. Anyone have any ideas? A nice intro to troubleshooting our new OS...

Aldie
Jun 22, 2000, 09:06 AM

Could someone post a copy of IE 5 Carbon on an iDisk? I would like to try it under OS 9.0.4. thanx

wormman
Jun 22, 2000, 12:37 PM

Internet Explorer bundled with DP4 is a piece of crap screwing up the entire system on several ocasions. I switched to Omniweb and haven't had a problem since.

Forum Links
Forum Rules