Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Internet on OS X (and some opinions of mine) :-)

Internet on OS X (and some opinions of mine) :-)
RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2000, 02:29 AM

Well differing from most of you people I am jusy a home usre who DOES NOT have OS X yet. I am really looking forward to it and i am extremely exited about it. I definetly think it's superior to Windoze the Mac OS had always been.. I mean Mac users always know what is on their hard drives and we always know how to fix it.. A lot of people want a Start Menu like device in OS X but to tell ya the truth most Windoze users don't even know where their files are they justc click start.. God forbid they want to uninstall something and the program has no unistaller is dificult...... I know pwoplw that download stuff from the net and actually last 2 hours finding the file... It took them a long time to figure it out.. Windoze keeps everything hidden it takes over the computer and the user (unless its a pro) knows where to find it.. I have solved so many problems for windoze users .... I don't even have a Windows machine except for VPC but even before..... i knew... They just don't think of files they thing of start menus... I think we are far more useful and advanced..... OS X keeps it by adding the new finder which I admit looks weird but i'll adjust to it.. :-) Anyways now to my 2 questions to you lucky peeps on OS X ...

Does anybody have any idea when Beta will be released?? I am hoping for a July release..... I just hope.. Anybdy has any info???

And also i am a DSL User on Bellatlantic.net and I connect through an app called MacPoet .. I was wondering when OS X comes out (beta) Will there be a way to connect to the net over PPPoE or will I have to wait till they decide to make an OS X version of the lame software?? I think it stinks... I just wish it was on all the time.... But are there any apps out right now that are compatible??? I heard of a FreeBSD Version and I heard that OS X is based on BSD can we use THAT app?? My guess would be NO but I just need to ask.... Well... Hope to hear from you guys soon......

Signing Off.........
Rodri.
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Fink Nottle
Jun 30, 2000, 09:24 AM

Greetings,

I have a DSL link as well and was pleased to see a posting on Macfixit that suggested connection functionality was built into OS X. The thread is at:
http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/For...ML/000023.html

I really hope this is the case.
Cheers!

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2000, 03:58 PM

Mac OS X Beta will be released sometime during MacWorld New York, which starts on July 19th. And anyone will be able to get a copy...
I just CAN't WAIT (I've been stuck w/DP3 since February, as DP4 does not work on my machine).
And it's FREE!
Be happy.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2000, 04:36 PM

I will count my free beta OS X's when they hatch!!! I wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't back out of the "free" public Beta idea... I don't think it's going to happen just like that. Somewhere along the line, we will all have to cough up some dough. Think about it... There is a few hundred truckloads of dollars missing from the Apple bank account. With the acquisition of Next, and various failed OS's (Pink, Copland...) under their belt, Apple needs to make money back in a big way. We are talking at least $200+ per user over the next two years. I see 2001 as the year of the greenback for apple (I guess that's good in some ways, and bad in others. As one Apple loyalist, I for one am ready to pay the keep this ball rolling)

It would be nice to just get a free copy in the mail when it does come around... Where is the sign up list APPLE!!!

Mitchell out...

The Wolfe
Jun 30, 2000, 04:59 PM

If Apple charged a modest $20 or $30 for a good beta copy of OS X, I would get it right away. From Apple's standpoint, they want as many 'powerusers', sharware and freeware programmers, and media types to use the new OS as possible. I don't think they will price it out of reach of many of these people, although I don't think they should have to post a loss shipping it. OS X is one of th biggest things to come out of Apple in a long time, and it's going to take some time to iron the bugs out. They want it to be perfect when it ships in boxed form next January.

It's a very exciting time!

------------------
-Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

MacScientist
Jun 30, 2000, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I will count my free beta OS X's when they hatch!!! I wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't back out of the "free" public Beta idea...

Just exactly when did Apple promise that MacOS X beta would be free?

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2000, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Think about it... There is a few hundred truckloads of dollars missing from the Apple bank account. With the acquisition of Next, and various failed OS's (Pink, Copland...) under their belt, Apple needs to make money back in a big way. We are talking at least $200+ per user over the next two years. I see 2001 as the year of the greenback for apple (I guess that's good in some ways, and bad in others. As one Apple loyalist, I for one am ready to pay the keep this ball rolling)
Dude, what are you smoking? Amazing sales of iMacs, Powerbooks, G3/G4 line, iBooks.. straight consecutive quarters since '98.. mad amounts of cash on hand.. I mean it's no time to get c0cky (apparently the UBB thinks that's a bad word) but it's hardly like Apple is in the red because of Pink/Copland. They're not in the red at all, in fact quite far from it. That doesn't mean they won't charge for the beta but still, tell it like it is.

[This message has been edited by Orbit (edited 06-30-2000).]

JR
Jul 1, 2000, 02:15 AM

I will believe it(OS X beta at MacWorld New York) when I have it in my hands. It's Apple, and even though I love em, they are not always the most timely fellows. lol

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2000, 04:06 AM

In business, one should never, ever try to make up for lost years by loading up on current ones. This would be a BIG mistake. Effective businesses have one eye on the year at hand and the other on the future. Any current and future business decisions should be made primarily according to current required rates of return. As for losses in years past, the IRS has a great deal for companies. These get written off, and can be applied to the future. In other words, losses can be amortized in order to reduce future taxes. And remember, every company has R&D projects that fail. They just write them off and keep on truckin'.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

mmmm
Jul 1, 2000, 10:28 PM

I do remember Apple (I think it was Jobs in a keynote speach...or was it one of those oh-so trustworthy mac news sources?) promising a free beta this summer. But think about this: downloading the OS and burning it to a CD would be a major pain, so Apple will have to manufacture CDs and then ship them to people. That costs $$, and I think $20 is a pretty good estimate of what Apple will charge per CD. That is pretty damn cheap if you ask me. As long as the thing boots.

Hackcess
Jul 6, 2000, 09:26 AM

Somehow everyone's notion of a "summer" release and Apple's notion of a "summer" release may differ significantly. DP4 is not very old and I can't imagine Apple having made many modifications to DP4 in the last 6 weeks or so.

If we look to the calendar, September 21st is still considered an official "summer" release date.

:^P

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 6, 2000, 02:51 PM

Hack, do you really think that DP4 was the most current code that Apple had on hand at the time? I bet not. Same with Aqua - they had it ready to go, or at least good enough to get an idea, at least one DP before they included it. I think they may be better along than you gather.
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2000, 01:23 PM

I would be VERY surprised if we didn't see OS X beta available at MacWorld. Apple needs to keep this momentum going. They have had great success over the past couple of years and have managed to dig themselves out of the Copland "incident"

They are trying to build an energy behind OS X similar to the energy (not the concept) behind Linux. When machines start shipping with OS X in January they need to have all the major and minor developers working with OS X, the need the power users to be touting how freakin cool OS X is compared to previous versions of the MacOS.

I am extremely optimistic that MacWorld NY (10 days and counting) will be a VERY VERY good event for Apple and the future of the company.

And on a side note, the developer seeds recently have been very few and far between (for about 2 months) which is a sign (at least it has been historically) that the Apple folks have been hard at work on something major.

See ya at the keynote

Peace,
G

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jul 9, 2000, 01:37 AM

Speaking of MacWorld New York, does anyone know if the keynote will be broadcast via quicktime? I know the last one wasn't, and I would really hate to miss the excitement if Jobs does release a public beta.

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

anonymous
Jul 9, 2000, 07:56 AM

MacWEEK.com has a QuickLink that states:
"Apple Computer will Webcast Steve Jobs' Macworld Expo New York keynote address on Wednesday, July 19, at approximately 9 a.m. EDT."

Haven't seen anything about it yet on Apple's site, but it seems to me that they haven't mentioned these things until just a few days before the event.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Jul 13, 2000, 10:30 AM

You're not going to see OSX at MWNY. More likely an announcement of when it will be released. As much as i'd like to get my hands on the beta, not enough time has elapsed since DP4. But rest assured, *everyone* at Apple is working 24/7 on OSX.

Speed

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 13, 2000, 11:18 AM

You speak with an air of authority, Racer... are you somehow affiliated with said computing company, perhaps?
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

sjobs
Jul 13, 2000, 12:00 PM

JoLa
Jul 13, 2000, 05:41 PM

My guess i at Expo. Here in europe (at least in Sweden) every reseller are invited by there national Apple company to se the keynote at movies. The invitation say
... this Expo will be remebered as one of the most importent events in Apple history...

hmm.. wonder what the fuzz is about :-)

X Freedom
Jul 14, 2000, 01:15 AM

Here is a little app for some people with ADSL. I have a cable modem so I have no idea how helpful this app is. http://members.blackbox.net/a/programs/pptp/

------------------
The goal of Project Freedom is to point users to solutions which brings the classic feel of the Mac OS to Mac OS X. (Mac OS X) Project Freedom

Forum Links
Forum Rules