Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > No DVD in iMacs? What about DVD in OSX?

No DVD in iMacs? What about DVD in OSX?
wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 02:41 AM

I don't know what everyone else thinks but does this mean that DVD playback is less of a priority for Apple?

I, for one, will be very upset if there is no DVD video in OSX GM. I have a iMacDV Special 400 and I would really like to watch my DVD's again. My OS9 doesn't want to load up outside of Classic anb I don't want to spend the time to track down the bug I got some DVD's for xmas and I would like to watch them! :-) p.p.please Apple make DVD video a priority!

-will

tz3gm
Senior User
Feb 22, 2001, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by wr11:
I don't know what everyone else thinks but does this mean that DVD playback is less of a priority for Apple?

I, for one, will be very upset if there is no DVD video in OSX GM. I have a iMacDV Special 400 and I would really like to watch my DVD's again. My OS9 doesn't want to load up outside of Classic anb I don't want to spend the time to track down the bug I got some DVD's for xmas and I would like to watch them! :-) p.p.please Apple make DVD video a priority!

-will
i for one believe that apple will not miss out on any functionality in OSX that was in OS9, basically OSX will have all OS9 functionality plus more more more...

just my .2 cents

Qwanky
Feb 22, 2001, 02:51 AM

Yes, it is interesting what will happen with DVD playback. If most of the Macs Apple sells now do not have DVD drives, why would they bother about DVD playback?

Before today, I would have dismissed any talk of a DVD Player being missing from OS X. Now though, I'm not so sure, and that worries me a bit.

But the Titanium PowerBook has a DVD drive, and a major selling point (in Apple sales literature) is that you can watch widescreen DVDs while sitting on a plane.

You would *hope* Apple intended PB owners to be still able to do that under Mac OS X.

Time will tell.

(I play DVDs on my Cube onto a flat panel display. Beautiful resolution - you can see every freckle on the actors' faces)

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2001, 02:53 AM

Oh please this is soooo much FUD. You people are worried over nothing.

tz3gm
Senior User
Feb 22, 2001, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Qwanky:
Yes, it is interesting what will happen with DVD playback. If most of the Macs Apple sells now do not have DVD drives, why would they bother about DVD playback?

Before today, I would have dismissed any talk of a DVD Player being missing from OS X. Now though, I'm not so sure, and that worries me a bit.

But the Titanium PowerBook has a DVD drive, and a major selling point (in Apple sales literature) is that you can watch widescreen DVDs while sitting on a plane.

You would *hope* Apple intended PB owners to be still able to do that under Mac OS X.

Time will tell.

(I play DVDs on my Cube onto a flat panel display. Beautiful resolution - you can see every freckle on the actors' faces)
or actresses

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
I am pretty sure Apple will not forget about DVD playback in OSX..It was just something I noticed in the new iMacs. Though... is the new TiBook using the other system of DVD playback (the more HW oriented one) whereas the iMac is more SW oriented?

-will

torifile
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 03:57 AM

I don't know...There was a thread over at the AI forums about this. Supposedly someone who works for ATI said that the DVD playback would not be supported because it wouldn't be ready. I'd provide a link, but the site's down right now.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 06:39 AM

Worst case scenario is 1.0 doesn't have DVD playback and we have to wait until summer for 1.1.

Oh, and 1.1 better be free, Apple. I'd also like the update to happen completely invisible to me via Software Update. Go to bed with 1.0 and wake up with 1.1. That would be cool.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 07:43 AM

They will do it. The question is, whether they do it for the first release or not. I hope they will... but I'm not so sure, either.

Cipher13
Feb 22, 2001, 07:47 AM

If they don't a third party one will come out.
They can't expect the regulations on DVD decoding to be upheld if there is no legitimate decoder.
And it won't be.

Cipher13

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 08:29 AM

Check out this thread that asked whether or not DVD support will be available in the Final. According to an alleged ATi employee:

No, unfortunately the DVD application and drivers will not be ready for ATI or nVidia for the initial release of OSX. These will be available in a subsequent point release however. I don't know what type of machine checks or whatever are going to be present in the OSX version of ADP.

Regards,

Arshad
ATI Technologies
It seems like sometimes Apple's policy is to forget it's legacy hardware and only focus on developing for hardware that has barely been released yet (Darwin, iTunes initial CD-RW support, Disk Burner, etc...) So this scenerio is not inconcievable. It might be that they will hold off on DVD support in the Final, only to add it when a more consumer-priced Mac has a DVDr drive.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 08:50 AM

This is terrible! No DVD playback, no DSL support! I've heard a rumour that the Finder is broken in release 4k69.. No Finder?? This OS is going to be terrible.

And just out of interest? What exactly does FUD stand for? (asterisk as necessary) I remember a Dead Milkmen song by that name. We just don't use the phrase in Britain.

And speaking of which, can you people stop saying "It rocks!" "OS X rocks!" "this rocks!" "that rocks!"...?

Chris

mjpaci
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2001, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by clebin:

This is terrible! No DVD playback, no DSL support! I've heard a rumour that the Finder is broken in release 4k69.. No Finder?? This OS is going to be terrible.
OK Chicken Little! The sky is NOT falling. Take a step back and think about this. The Finder is 'broken' in build 4k69. How do you know this? Do you think that maybe this is some special build that concentrates on another area of the OS and that, maybe, there's some erroneous code in the Finder that expects some hooks elsewhere that just weren't compiled into this particular crazy-code numbered build? No DVD playback? Don't be a moron.

And just out of interest? What exactly does FUD stand for? (asterisk as necessary) I remember a Dead Milkmen song by that name. We just don't use the phrase in Britain.
FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

FUD is an acronym, not a phrase. 'Think different' is a phrase. 'Mac' is not an acronym.

Only in Britain can the phrase 'Bumming a fag in the toilet' have two completely different meanings right out of the box.

--Mike

happypork
Feb 22, 2001, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by mjpaci:
OK Chicken Little! The sky is NOT falling. Take a step back and think about this.
Dude, he was kidding. It's called humour.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2001, 10:34 AM

Well if ATi is holding it up the that makes sense.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by mjpaci:

Only in Britain can the phrase 'Bumming a fag in the toilet' have two completely different meanings right out of the box.
We don't call gay people 'fags', and we don't 'bum' cigarettes, so that would mean two things and also completely nothing all at once.

Chris

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 12:18 PM

Hmm, what does any of that have to do with DVDs? Anyway, I've seen at work on a Mac that has 4k46 that /System/Library/Filesystems does contain a udf.fs extension (the DVD native filesystem), so at least thats something.

[This message has been edited by dark3lf (edited 02-22-2001).]

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 02:39 PM

So right...will you people give it up! THERE WILL BE DVD PLAYBACK IN OS X!!! Go worry about world peace or hunger or the U.S. having a 2nd-rate education system...

Geez,
krove

------------------
*The next sentence is entirely true...
*The previous sentence is most decidedly false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 03:29 PM

The initial release of OS X will not have DVD movie playback.
The initial release of OS X will not have 3D acceleration for the Rage Pro.
OS X will never have 3D acceleration for the RageII (possibly not even 2D acceleration.)
http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000904.html

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 03:46 PM

Well, here is something to think about. Apple has been working these new "Super Drives" with super-fast encoding utilizing the G4. Well what if they had portions of that code (or somthing like it) for DVD playback in OSX. Would it not just scream?!

Sure they would have to modify it for the G3 but considering how fast it really is...I think a G3 would still preform pretty well for decoding DVD!

any thoughts?

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2001, 05:04 PM

Well that sucks if it's true. All the more reason to dump ATi.

10sfan
Feb 22, 2001, 11:11 PM

Well, this is troubling. If Mac OS X really doesn't support DVD playback, I think that would be significant cause to return it for a refund. I personally probably wouldn't do so, but Apple has said that (almost) all G3 Macs will be supported by Mac OS X, and "supported" shouldn't mean that one of the computer's main selling points is disabled. I hope they at least make it simple enough to boot back into Classic if you have to do so for DVD.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2001, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Milio:
The initial release of OS X will not have DVD movie playback.
The initial release of OS X will not have 3D acceleration for the Rage Pro.
OS X will never have 3D acceleration for the RageII (possibly not even 2D acceleration.)
http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000904.html
This angers me greatly. Crappy acceleration is better than no acceleration at all! guess i'll have to boot in OS 9 to play stuff like Oni properly (if lowest quality lowest resolution is what you think of when you say properly).

YUCK!

All the more reason for me to buy a Titanium Rev 2 when and if it comes out. MWSF 2002 is what I'm banking on. There had better damn well be a new nvidia card in Rev 2 or I'll do something bad.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2001, 01:34 AM

Hearsay.
I wouldn't give too much until Final Candidate reports start to roll in next week.

-chris.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2001, 02:10 AM

I personal believe the above it total ******** so don't put a lot of stock in it.

PLEASE WAIT FOR THE FINAL THEN GET UPSET!

Friend of Clarus
Feb 23, 2001, 02:39 AM

Ever wondered why Mac OS X will not be pre-installed on Macs until well into the summer?

Could it be something to do with most of Apple's core software not actually being Carbonized yet?

Here's my guess at what is and what isn't ready for initial release (by "not X ready" I mean not ready for an initial release):

App Status
--- ------
Apple DVD Player*.......not X ready
iMovie*.......................not X ready
iDVD*..........................not X ready
AppleWorks..................mostly carbonized, probably ready for initial release
Final Cut Pro................not X ready
DVD Studio Pro.............not X ready
iTunes*.......................fully carbonized, usable now, definitely initial release
QuickTime Pro.............mostly X ready, probably ready for initial release
QuickTime VR Authoring Studio......abandoned, never X ready

* indicates bundled software allowing Apple to advertise: "buy a Mac and you'll be able to do this out of the box". (Not having those packages ready means they cannot pre-install Mac OS X on Macs and still advertise that way.)

I am not Apple bashing here, I just believe that they have no right to accuse developers of not getting onto the release curve early when they themselves will not be able to deliver on their own software.

mkchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 03:35 AM

As far as I know, the following apps should be OS X ready when OS X ships:

iTune, iMovie, DVD player

And shortly after OS X ships, there will be OS X version of Final Cut Pro, AppleWorks, iDVD, DVD Studio Pro.

Apple is working very hard, but they just don't like to tell people what they are doing (or what they have done so far)

By the way, I hope to see a DVD/CD-R/RW combo drive in the iMac/PowerMac, so that people can watch DVD and burn CD on the same machine!

Jeremy78
Feb 23, 2001, 08:37 PM

Sounds good!

But do you know something or are you just guessing like the post above?

His/her post backed up the claim with some logic - Apple not pre-installing OS X until July, hence most of their apps not available till then.

I would like to add: A developmental iTunes for X is already on H*t*i*ne, no sign of the other apps.

By the way, I hope to see a DVD/CD-R/RW combo drive in the iMac/PowerMac, so that people can watch DVD and burn CD on the same machine!
And at the same time...

Now that would be an impressive technical feat!

10sfan
Feb 23, 2001, 09:05 PM

AppleWorks 6 is already Carbonized, isn't it? And there is already some form of a Mac OS X version of QuickTime even in the PB.

And yes, I know this is hearsay. I said I would be upset if it does turn out to be true, not that I am assuming it is true and am already upset.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 23, 2001, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Hearsay.
I wouldn't give too much until Final Candidate reports start to roll in next week.

-chris.
I wouldn't have, but a guy from ATi posted this! Whatever, I'll just forget about it. I don't play that many games and don't play all that often.

Hopefully I can last a year without 3D acceleration.

I'll wait until GM. I hope this guy's wrong.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2001, 12:36 AM

Hmm I guess thet since Apples new Product "DVD studio Pro" requires DVD playback capabilities to run, they will have to drop that from there product line since there will not be DVD playback in OSX...

Or mabe they will never make it an OSX app, and only sell it to folks that stay on OS9...

GET A LIFE!!!!!

Im going ot go to a worth while tread now.. See ya!

------------------
Alex Duffield
------------------

*Compliments mr_SonicBlue
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Jeremy78
Feb 24, 2001, 08:23 PM

DON'T PANIC!(tm)

(tm) Registered Trademark, Douglas Adams 1979. Used under license.

There is no question whatsoever that DVD capabilities will be in Mac OS X, just not maybe for the initial release. But certainly by a few months later.

If you need to set your mind at rest: in the 4K5x builds and later, if you plonk in a DVD, you can the VIDEO_TS folder and VOB files. So the OS already accesses DVDs, all it needs is something to decode the MPEG-2 streams. I think Apple is capable of that! (After all, they are the guys with the fastest (G4-based) DVD ENCODING in the industry.)

The problem is just that they are working overtime getting the OS itself ready. The supporting apps will follow and will be downloadable, just as iTunes WASN'T BUNDLED with Mac OS 9.1.

Don't worry, be happy, Mac OS X is good, and it will do DVD!

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2001, 08:35 PM

I don't mean to tell people that MacOS X will never do DVD playback. All the referenced information points to the fact that it will require additional code for the graphics cards to handle it. That won't be done by final, but relatively soon after.

There are quite a few things that will be like that.

I just get tired of all the people thinking that OS X is perfect as a beta, and what's missing will be there on March 24. It will take quite some time before OS X is "complete".

It's not FUD, it's fact. Believing otherwise will lead to disappointment.

[This message has been edited by Milio (edited 02-24-2001).]

Jeremy78
Feb 24, 2001, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Milio:
I just get tired of all the people thinking that OS X is perfect as a beta, and what's missing will be there on March 24. It will take quite some time before OS X is "complete".
Perfectly well said. Day 1 is just the beginning of a long and exciting journey.

Now with that, let's put this dead horse thread out of its misery.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Feb 25, 2001, 02:38 AM

I wonder how many people wouldn't upgrade to macos x because of the DVD support (or lack there of).

Forum Links
Forum Rules