Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X DP4 won't install on Dual 500 G4??

Mac OS X DP4 won't install on Dual 500 G4??
realeyz
Jul 30, 2000, 02:10 PM

Anyone else have this problem? It simply says "OS X cannot be installed on this computer"

There was a message from someone saying it might have been the DVD-RAM drive but this machine only has a regular DVD-ROM in it.

Can't seem to find any notes about it anywhere.

Anyone know what it might be?

Thanx
realeyz imaging
animation | 3D modeling | visual effects | web design | illustration

reader50
Administrator
Jul 30, 2000, 03:16 PM

There have been other complaints about this.
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum3/HTML/000543.html

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 30, 2000, 09:52 PM

Presumably the reason it won't run is because DP4 is older than the machine.

Same thing as trying to get System 7.5 to run on that machine... it won't work!

tooki

P
Jul 31, 2000, 05:45 AM

That won't work, we know. Wait for the public beta. I don't think even OS X Server will work on the Duals.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

X Freedom
Jul 31, 2000, 12:34 PM

Any one read MacInTouch today (7.31.00)?

"When an apple rep at Macworld NY was asked if the demo version running was the public beta, he simply replied that it was 'the same as DP4, only a special internal build to run the demos on the new multiprocessor machines.'"

Still for the life of me I can not see why people are so upset that they can not run DP4 on the MP systems. Yea I know it would be nice and all but DP4 was not built with support for the MP mac (even though one would think it would have be). You will just have to wait till Public Beta.

------------------
The goal of Project Freedom is to point users to solutions which brings the classic feel of the Mac OS to Mac OS X. (Mac OS X) Project Freedom

[This message has been edited by X Freedom (edited 07-31-2000).]

realeyz  (op)
Jul 31, 2000, 04:20 PM

Yeah, its not a big deal that DP4 doesnt install on my Dual 500, I was just wondering if anyone had a workaround or whatever for it.

When is the approximate date for the public beta to be released anyway? Predictions? Announcements? anything.

Thanx
realeyz imaging
animation | 3D modeling | visual effects | web design | illustration

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2000, 04:28 PM

tooki: How the heck to you know that 7.1 doesn't work on the new hardware??? That's like saying that Windows 3.1 doesn't load onto a new 1GHz PIII??? Or the new Honda electric car doesn't work with leaded gas... It's cool that you know this, but where did you come about this information?

X Freedom: I think it's because there are geeks like myself that sell their old computer to buy a new only to find out that they still need their old computer for specific software that they no longer can use... In this case, I can't even run the OS that I'm developing a small program for...

Does anyone think that there will be a Public Beta 2 after a few months? I think once the geeks find enough holes in the OS, that Apple can patch, will there be something between OS X public beta, and the final release?

[--->CAN'T WAIT FOR PUBLIC BETA<---]

X Freedom
Jul 31, 2000, 07:01 PM

Your lucky you can buy a new system that often.

I do understand how people can feel stuck in a hole when you buy a new system only to find you can't run the OS you want on it. Take for instance Server X. It would seem natural OS X Server would run on an MP system. As far as I know this isn't the case. Apple should of had a patch ready to go when the MP systems shipped.

I suppose anyone who wants to run OS X on an MP system could work on getting darwin to to boot on an MP system. Copy the need stuff to a drive that has OS X installed then boot off that drive. It could work. (just an idea)

------------------
The goal of Project Freedom is to point users to solutions which brings the classic feel of the Mac OS to Mac OS X. (Mac OS X) Project Freedom

MacScientist
Jul 31, 2000, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
tooki: How the heck to you know that 7.1 doesn't work on the new hardware??? That's like saying that Windows 3.1 doesn't load onto a new 1GHz PIII??? Or the new Honda electric car doesn't work with leaded gas... It's cool that you know this, but where did you come about this information?

This is just plain wrong. System 7.1 requires the Mac Toolbox ROM to be in firmware. The latest Macintosh computers require Open Firmware, which did not exist when Apple introduced System 7.1. Neither does System 7.1 support such essential formats as IDE, USB, Firewire, and any number of others that we now take for granted.

OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2000, 11:49 PM

Good question, does Darwin boot on the new dual G4's? Can it be made to work?

Also I think the reason that DP4 doesn't work on the new machines is because it doesn't have drivers for whatever new or updated components Apple has included on the logic board/ROM, NOT that it doesn't support MP.
If anyone has the hardware to test this hypothesis, you could try running DP4 under a rev. 1 G4 with a Newer (or other manufacturer) multiprocessor upgrade card.
Anyone wanna try running G4 on a quad??? ;-)
-OX

X Freedom
Aug 1, 2000, 12:58 AM

I do not keep up on darwin that much but I do know that you could make it to boot an MP system. In fact the work is already done. If apple has the need parts updated on the servers is another matter all together. But how a CVS server works the code should be their. All you would then need to do is compile it.

Originally posted by OmniX:
Good question, does Darwin boot on the new dual G4's? Can it be made to work?

Also I think the reason that DP4 doesn't work on the new machines is because it doesn't have drivers for whatever new or updated components Apple has included on the logic board/ROM, NOT that it doesn't support MP.
If anyone has the hardware to test this hypothesis, you could try running DP4 under a rev. 1 G4 with a Newer (or other manufacturer) multiprocessor upgrade card.
Anyone wanna try running G4 on a quad??? ;-)
-OX

------------------

mrmartini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2000, 02:58 AM

to my knowledge, DP4 doesn't fully support miltprocessing yet. they have the develpment packs if you want to code for it, but it just won't boot. hopefully Public Beta will address that?!?!

nater
Aug 22, 2000, 03:12 PM

OSX won't install on any of the new G computers (Dual Processor, Single Processor or Cube). You can download just Darwin from the Apple OpenSoarce Page. that will install fine, but it still won't run a new G4. I suspect that if you could get DP4onto a disk, that the new G4s won't run that either. it looks like we will all have to wait for the next release of OSX if we want to run it on our new G4s.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2000, 07:50 AM

What if you installed it on a machine that DOES run Darwin, then moved that hard drive to a machine where it wouldn't install?

MacOS761
Senior User
Aug 24, 2000, 11:32 AM

How the heck to you know that 7.1 doesn't work on the new hardware???
For many years, Mac's have been unable to install OS's earlier than what came on them. I think there is a ROM on the boards that prevents it. If you put a system 8.0 install disk in a G4 and try to start up from it, a message will appear saying the system is too old, and not supported on your hardware, whether that's technologically true or not. Even 6 year old macs do that.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

jeffrone69
Aug 24, 2000, 03:10 PM

DP4 is not dualpro compaztible at this time which really bits. Also you can't make a partion for OS X, and theres still problems with the OS 9 window...

Jeff

jeffrone69
Aug 24, 2000, 03:16 PM

DP4 is not dualpro compaztible at this time which really bits. Also you can't make a partion for OS X, and theres still problems with the OS 9 window...

Jeff

OS X installed
Aug 26, 2000, 09:41 PM

This is on Low End Mac, I think. It worked on a PM9500 with an xlr8 G3 processor card.

At the screen where you get the message that OS X cannot be installed on a particular computer, there should still be a "Special" menu. By using the "Special" menu, you should be able to install OS X on an "unsupported" machine.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2000, 08:31 AM

I knew about the "unsupported" install, but was too chicken to try it :-)

Has anyone tried an unsupported install on their new G4? Any luck?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Captain Bitmappy
Aug 29, 2000, 04:23 PM

I tried the 'unsupported' option. After it rebooted, it would not boot from the cd and winds up back in os 9.
Oh well.

edbishop
Sep 9, 2000, 11:24 PM

Here's the official Apple page:
Mac OS X Server 1.2: System Requirements...
========
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30604

Forum Links
Forum Rules