Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Font Problems in OSX

Font Problems in OSX
wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 03:01 AM

I have just been switched all my "user" fonts to Open Type Fonts (.otf) and by chance I have noticed some major flakyness with font handling. BTW, Open Type is very kewl.

Try any Dingbats Font. They do not work. Sure, you could activate the Dingbats keyboard in Language preferences but that only seems to make Zapf Dingbats work. I, for one, do not really want to use Zapf Dingbats all the time. I have tried a few different dingbat fonts and when I select them it defaults to some other font. This only seems to mess up Dingbats, flourishes, and special character fonts... So its not that bad. But Apple should be hard at work to correct this and make the font panel more powerful. (LOL, what ever that means.)

Has anyone else run into this, or found a solution?

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: wr11 ]

<Switch?>
Jun 12, 2001, 09:32 AM

How did you manage to 'switch' all your user fonts to OpenType format? In order to work as OpenType fonts they have to BE OpenType fonts. Just changing an extension won't do it. You probably already know that, but I don't understand what you mean by 'switch.'

<Switch?>
Jun 12, 2001, 09:33 AM

How did you manage to 'switch' all your user fonts to OpenType format? In order to work as OpenType fonts they have to BE OpenType fonts. Just changing an extension won't do it. You probably already know that, but I don't understand what you mean by 'switch.'

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 11:18 AM

By switching, I mean I have new versions of most of my Fonts in Open type. I also got a few of the new Pro fonts from Adobe too. The "pro" fonts are very nice, with lots of variations inside the family... Their almost like Multiple Master Fonts, but MM fonts do not work in OSX yet.

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 06:31 PM

Just want to add:

I would like to see folders allowed inside the font folder(s). I have 250 items in my fonts folder and I would like to be able to keep track of them in folders. Maybe just allowing 1 level of sub-folders, but I would like to keep them organized.

Forum Links
Forum Rules