Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What do you want in an iPhone?

What do you want in an iPhone?
wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 03:42 AM

Hey everyone, I thought it would be nice to share what we want the now infamous iPod phone to be. I put together the image above after I got thinking about what I really wanted. Most of us have phones now and Apple should not need to re-invent the wheel with the iPhone.

My ideal iPhone specs:
• Quad-band GSM
•2GB flash storage
• Similar battery life as the nano.
•iTunes Integration
(music, calendars, contacts, movies, games and tv)
•Touchscreen for additional interaction
• Bluetooth, WIFI, and Apple Remote functions
• Email, Browsing, and iChat
•3MP camera

That would be a pretty sweet phone, but I don't think it's too out of reach. I know the WIFI would be tough, but if they can pull that off with decent battery live they would have market dominating product.
( Last edited by wr11; Sep 28, 2006 at 04:23 AM. )

jyunderwood
Sep 28, 2006, 04:03 AM

I like all your specs but I don't really care about the wifi personally and an rss reader that syncs with your safari bookmarks wouldn't be bad.

I use Alltel currently so a CDMA version would be required before I could get one but by the time they came out with one (if they ever) my contract would be up.

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by jyunderwood
I like all your specs but I don't really care about the wifi personally and an rss reader that syncs with your safari bookmarks wouldn't be bad.

I use Alltel currently so a CDMA version would be required before I could get one but by the time they came out with one (if they ever) my contract would be up.
Yeah, but if it did have WIFI it would be fast way to sync it to your computer, surf the net, and possibly use iChat. Though, I agree it's not a must-have feature at all. There are many more features that would be much more critical for this phones success. CDMA is a killer though, internationally it's not used much at all. I would suspect that Apple would have to choose GSM if they wanted to mass produce the phone for all their markets.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2006, 04:33 AM

Nice picture. Realistically, I just want something that combines the sleek stylings of something like the RAZR with genuine iPod usability. And of course, it should have good integration with the iApps. Other details are secondary.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 04:08 PM

I know I might be asking for a bit much, but I just want a cell that works and doesn't need to be plugged in every day. Sort of like the original iPod for MP3 = same for cell.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2006, 04:11 PM

badsey, that would be the RAZR. I plug mine in about once a week-maybe two if I've been using it a lot. Of course I don't use mine a lot; people who do need to plug it in somewhat more frequently.

I for one don't WANT iPod functionality in a cell phone. A little bit of memory for contacts and pictures and ringtones is fine, but an MP3/AAC player too? That's too much functionality in one tiny box. I don't think it's practical either designwise or from a user perspective. That's just me though.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 04:42 PM

Here's the deal on this stuff:

I have a phone (Nokia 6682) that does all the crazy stuff and has the large screen.

-battery life is low, 3 days tops with the product on standby
-you never learn how to open/create Word/Excel docs etc
-doesn't sync with computer well
-no keyboard built-in, and keypads suck for writing.

These phones need to be excellent and easy to learn out of the box and have a keyboard on them.

If Apple makes a good phone, people will buy them. The present cell phones are not that good. Lots of features on these phones people don't use and just make the product more difficult to use. You should be able to choose the features you want besides camera/audio/video.

Sending documents is still fairly expensive also 1kB ~ $.01 = that adds up.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I for one don't WANT iPod functionality in a cell phone. A little bit of memory for contacts and pictures and ringtones is fine, but an MP3/AAC player too? That's too much functionality in one tiny box. I don't think it's practical either designwise or from a user perspective. That's just me though.
It sounds like you aren't in the target audience for the mythical iPhone, then.

While I generally agree with the idea that dedicated devices (something that is ONLY a cell phone or ONLY an mp3 player) are better, I think the reason people are so obsessed with the idea of an iPhone is that no one has been able to successfully combine the two without some major compromises. They (and I) hope that Apple will be able to pull it off.
( Last edited by icruise; Sep 28, 2006 at 07:17 PM. )


Sep 28, 2006, 07:01 PM

badsey, that would be the RAZR. I plug mine in about once a week-maybe two if I've been using it a lot. Of course I don't use mine a lot; people who do need to plug it in somewhat more frequently.

Then why don't you get a normal cell phone?
-


Sep 28, 2006, 07:02 PM

It won't have a 3MP camera, and it won't be touch-screen. It would require a higher-resolution screen than what is feasible on a small device... I believe Palm actually has an article about this on their website.
-

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2006, 07:23 PM

What I DON'T want is something that comes in a pretty Apple-ified package but is really no better than other phones. I'm hoping that Apple can do something with the user interface, since that is pretty atrocious on most phones.


Sep 28, 2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
What I DON'T want is something that comes in a pretty Apple-ified package but is really no better than other phones. I'm hoping that Apple can do something with the user interface, since that is pretty atrocious on most phones.
It should be something like the RAZR V3s. They have a nice interface, but it needs to be nicer than it is. But of course, it must be different enough to scream Apple at people familiar with Macs and iPods.
-

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 08:02 PM

I'm going to agree the interface is the real holy grail for Apple. If they can combine all the current cellphone features and technology while still making it easy to learn, configure, and most importantly sync then I think we'll all be happy.

I included some wild specs at the top but I would settle for less. I have a feeling that getting the phone in Canada, when and if it comes out, will be easier said than done. Apple should consider partnering with carriers for subsidized phones while still selling "unlocked" phones from the Apple store.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 08:47 PM

I agree, I have an iPod and do not need a phone that is an iPod - I want a sleek, cutting edge candybar phone, that gives the same wow factor as other new Apple products do.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 09:03 PM

What do I want in an iPhone? I'd settle for existance.


Sep 28, 2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
What do I want in an iPhone? I'd settle for existance.
No doubt. She is a little late. By the time she is out, I'm afraid she'll be to little to late.
-

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 10:15 PM

OK, this is my rough sketch. (the number pad can be tucked away - which it should be most of the time IMHO)

My concept is simplicity. You should be able to do just about everything from the scroll wheel. In fact, IMHO, we don't even need the key pad (but that might be too much).

It has 2, 4 and 8GB of storage. It has a run of the mill camera and is obviously integrated with iTunes, iCal, Address Book, etc.

Integration is key. I think bluetooth is all we need, but others will disagree. While it works well as a standard phone, it excels when you use the headphones.

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 10:17 PM

One more time. So my first picture was more of an iPod mini/nano phone. How about a full sized iPod phone? Maybe more of an organizer... with shades of the long dead newton? I don't think they'll go this route, but hey you never know.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by wr11
One more time. So my first picture was more of an iPod mini/nano phone. How about a full sized iPod phone? Maybe more of an organizer... with shades of the long dead newton? I don't think they'll go this route, but hey you never know.
Hmmmm... i really don't like the idea of a touch screen scroll wheel.

Also, I don't think the buttons are well thought out.

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Also, I don't think the buttons are well thought out.
LOL - I almost didn't have a zero, would have been difficult to dial! It's more of a cut and paste job, so yeah the buttons aren't really all that good. I kinda wanted to convey some level of simplicity while still having something like a whole qwerty layout.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 10:35 PM

Sorry... it's a cool design... I just think it needs to be so much more simple. Even my design feels clunky IMHO.

The trick will be iTunes integration. People will fall in love with the phone if they can do cool things with it with little problems.

I'm just afraid that Apple will jump on the $2 ring tones, etc. etc. If it's not open, it's going to die.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 11:02 PM

Well, I imagine this thing is already going to sync really painlessly with Apple's bundled OS X software and iLife. But what I'd really really like to see is some kind of iPhone Sync SDK that allows 3rd party devs an easy way to sync data between their OS X software and the phone.

I'm not expecting that, though, because it would probably mean they'd need to develop a whole smartphone OS that anyone can code for, and they probably don't want to make the phone that flexible/complicated for end users, nor put that much R & D into features that most of their target market doesn't care about.

But I hope they at least put in categorized notes and a way to sync 'em (even if they make sync a Leopard-only feature)

More realistically, I want:
  • 2 GB built-in storage
  • memory card slot
  • camera that's not too much worse than my K750i's and hopefully a bit better
  • media player UI that's orders of magnitude better than my phone's.
  • iPod games (my Palm died, and I miss Bejeweled)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
But what I'd really really like to see is some kind of iPhone Sync SDK that allows 3rd party devs an easy way to sync data between their OS X software and the phone.

I'm not expecting that, though, because it would probably mean they'd need to develop a whole smartphone OS that anyone can code for, and they probably don't want to make the phone that flexible/complicated for end users, nor put that much R & D into features that most of their target market doesn't care about.
Why not let it run widgets?

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 11:06 PM

Now the family is complete.

Introducing the iPhone shuffle: "For the people who don't really care who's calling."
If life can be random then your calls can be too! *must have teeny-tiny fingers to operate this device. Click wheel is somewhere unseen.

Okay, I'm done having fun.

wr11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Why not let it run widgets?
That makes sense. Something like widget apps, meant to be shown one at a time, almost like a normal program. Apple could build that into xcode and since the phone is going to have a browser it would already have the libraries there.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 11:29 PM

IMHO, whatever Apple puts out now won't be good enough...

It won't be quad band, won't have a high enough resolution camera, won't hold enough songs, screen won't be big enough, won't work with my provider, and will be too expensive.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 11:56 PM

Widgets might be cool, but I don't know if they'd allow arbitrary storage of supporting files, which would be important for any sort of data syncing.

Oh yeah, may as well add to my list of unrealistic expectations: I want a fast ≥ 3-megapixel camera, and I want an unlocked quad-band GSM version, so I can get it at the Chinatown store that applies contract-extension discounts to unlocked phones. (I'm inclined to believe the Cingular-exclusive rumors, and I want to renew T-Mo in March..)

And I want a pony.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by wr11

Now the family is complete.

Introducing the iPhone shuffle: "For the people who don't really care who's calling."
If life can be random then your calls can be too! *must have teeny-tiny fingers to operate this device. Click wheel is somewhere unseen.

Okay, I'm done having fun.
A ton of people would buy a phone like this. I still would want the click wheel to fast-forward, pause and rewind thru calls (live). + with the shuffle feature you don't need to really care who you are calling either.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by badsey
I know I might be asking for a bit much, but I just want a cell that works and doesn't need to be plugged in every day.
My Treo 600 needs to be charged once every ten days. It's a tad heavy, but the battery life is awesome.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 03:21 AM

Personally, I'd like an iPod nano with a no-frills quad band phone and no camera. If I wanna take pictures I'll take a decent real camera, thanks. However, I'm afraid Apple would have to include a camera just because that's what a large part of the market expects.

So I'll probably just stick with my Treo and my iPod as separate devices. In the end, I think I'd rather have two or three really good devices than just one that's good at only one thing (if at all). Of course that's just my personal preference, YMMV.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 
Then why don't you get a normal cell phone?
I DO want a flip, a phone that lasts a long time on one charge, a multiband phone, a phone with a decent address book, and one with Bluetooth for my hands free headset. I didn't even "need" the camera in the RAZR, but it has come in handy. But if all the "normal phone" features I listed were not there, the RAZR would not be my choice, even though it is a very cool looking phone. The key here is "phone." Adding a whole different set of functions to handle music files the way an iPod does would NOT enhance the phone functionality as the features I listed do.

Besides, it's HARD TO FIND a cell phone that does NOT have a camera, games, and other non-phone features. I think the RAZR is as close to minimal as I could get without giving up on the PHONE functions I really wanted.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 09:01 AM

Simon: I just like the idea of having a camera on me all the time, since I don't know in advance when I'm going to want to take a picture. But I'd rather have just one thing in my pocket most of the time and save the camera toting for specific photo-taking trips.

The real bummer with my phone is how long it takes to get into camera mode and snap a picture. I missed a chance to photograph a squirrel hanging out on a bicycle yesterday..

I do think it might make sense for them to release camera and cameraless models, but they'll probably have one model to start with, and only do any sort of branching out if the thing is wildly successful.

Scott-G
Sep 29, 2006, 10:05 AM

I wouldn't mind a "nano sytle" iPhone without a camera. But my biggest pieve is having the microphone/speaker on the same side of the phone as the display. Hair oil, sweat, etc has to be wiped off all the time. Put the microphone/speaker on the back and have the sreen dim-able when in use.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 10:08 AM

i want the iphone to be a chip in your head. when you want to call someone, you just think about it and then they you can call them. when you want to listen to a song, you just think about it and it plays for you. then it would be a true "i" phone.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scott-G
I wouldn't mind a "nano sytle" iPhone without a camera. But my biggest pieve is having the microphone/speaker on the same side of the phone as the display. Hair oil, sweat, etc has to be wiped off all the time. Put the microphone/speaker on the back and have the sreen dim-able when in use.
I like the clamshell design because it protects the screen and buttons from the wear and tear that a regular phone receives.

The exterior of my e815 looks like it has been in a battle... but the inside is still looking great!

IMHO, it's going to be very difficult to design such a phone. I'm not saying Apple isn't up to the challenge... I'm just afraid that I'm going to have to switch providers to get the phone. There is no way Verizon is going to offer the phone without seriously crippling the software [crippled bluetooth, can't create your own ring tones, etc. etc.]

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple didn't move in a different direction... like a phone that requires a headset... [which is going to be strange as you would need a stereo headset].

cho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 11:33 PM

I have not seen this mentioned yet but what I would like would be:

* compatability with the current universal dock which would allow the universal dock station to be used as a charger and also as a device to broadcast music/videos to external devices, and allow the usage of the Apple Remote.

Neat idea eh?

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jyunderwood

I WANT the wifi. The PSP has it (while a bit limited) and it is great for checking emails or listening (and saving) RSS feeds while at a hot spot. I would like to see the capabilities (expanded) of the Sony Mylo added to a GMS (NOT CDMA) phone. Just have a hardware/software switch to turn it off when not in use.

If the US was more like, say S. Korea - the land of the obiquious hot spot, wifi capabilities would be paramount to a good product. Of course here in the US we cannot get hot spots everywhere due to corporate greed. I am always embarrassed to explain this to friends from Japan and Korea.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2006, 01:22 AM

I'd like to see an Apple phone with:

•iPod functionality (audio & video)
•iApp sync (iPhoto, iCal, Address Book)
•Camera (with simple export to iPhoto)
•Enter and edit iCal entries. Alarms would be nice, too.
•iChat/AIM
•Bluetooth for handsfree/headsets/iSync
•Use same dock connector & pinout for iPod accessory compatibility
•Optional charge/sync cradle like the for the iPods

•And... wait for it... Windows compatibility. Add that and they'll sell a ton.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I'd like to see an Apple phone with:

•iPod functionality (audio & video)
•iApp sync (iPhoto, iCal, Address Book)
•Camera (with simple export to iPhoto)
•Enter and edit iCal entries. Alarms would be nice, too.
•iChat/AIM
•Bluetooth for handsfree/headsets/iSync
•Use same dock connector & pinout for iPod accessory compatibility
•Optional charge/sync cradle like the for the iPods

•And... wait for it... Windows compatibility. Add that and they'll sell a ton.
I think, assuming the Apple phone ever comes out, you'll be in luck. Maybe they'll leave out the iChat/AIM (and Steve will say something like "nobody wants to do IM with a little bitty phone keypad"), but except for working like an iPod the other features are so standard that they'd be raked over the coals in the press for excluding any.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they left some stuff out of Windows compatibility, like making the PIM sync stuff more basic.

iCaramba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 05:50 AM

I'd like to see the following features:
- Bluetooth
- WiFi
- a decent camera on the back (3MPixels)
- a decent camera on the front for video calls
- a decent flash
- VOIP functionality (proper SIP, not Skype!!!)
- GPS chip (also to be used in conjunction with the camera)
- ability to install additional software (I'd like to install some games and GPS software)

I'd also like to see Apple release a cool Bluetooth headset to go with the iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules