Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dead Pixel On My Brand New Macbook!!! What Should I Do? 2nd One!!!

Dead Pixel On My Brand New Macbook!!! What Should I Do? 2nd One!!!
PJJames
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 04:51 AM

Hey guys...wanted to ask your opinion. I bought my Black Macbook Friday night...got it home....the clicker on the track pad was messed up. So I took it back today, they cleared it and gave me a new one. So I get this one home and tonight realized I had a dead pixel right in the middle of my screen...like dead center...and it's kinda bugging me. What should I do? Take it back again??? Would they swap it out again since it's my second one and because its the first day I've had it? I'd like to get some opinions before I go back in. Thanks!
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 04:54 AM

Take it back. So what this is your 2nd one? When I get my MB in the next few days, I will not accept it if anything is wrong with it, and I will keep demanding replacements until I get one that is acceptable to me. That may sound a bit harsh, but I payed for it, so I deserve what I payed for. You are entitled to do the exact same thing - and don't let them repair it either, its a ~1 day old machine!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 04:58 AM

Yeah I think I might just do it...I had to be super picky but yeah...I waited forever for these things to come out and I'll just tell them they've gotta do it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 05:20 AM

There's a chance that they won't take it back just for one pixel, though. I guess it depends on how big a fuss you make.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2006, 05:50 AM

Hate to be the voice of reality here...but dead pixels are a fact of life with LCD displays. I've had 5 laptops over the years and all but one has had either a dead or stuck pixel. The iBook I'm typing this post on has a red pixel stuck in the upper right hand corner. Apple has an offical policy on dead-pixels, as do most laptop producers.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194

It being dead center is a bummer, you can always try to see if they will exhange it for you...can't hurt to ask.

Good luck.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 05:58 AM

It may be a fact of life, but it doesnt mean you have to put up with it, especially when most LCDs are fine
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by PJJames
Yeah I think I might just do it...I had to be super picky but yeah...I waited forever for these things to come out and I'll just tell them they've gotta do it.
You're not being "super picky", you're asking for what is right. Get that MacBook rteplaced.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 09:17 AM

Also you just got it. In the UK you can return anything within 14days - no question's asked - not sure about the US.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 09:42 AM

You can whine and complain about it all you want, but according to Apple it's under their spec. It definitely sucks, but in the end, it's really Apple's decision to replace your machine or not.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
You can whine and complain about it all you want, but according to Apple it's under their spec. It definitely sucks, but in the end, it's really Apple's decision to replace your machine or not.
Umm, no. If he's in Europe, it's his decision. Apple has to take it back within a certain period of time after purchase. Within that period, it's whatever *he* wants. It's called customer protection.
•

hldan
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 12:15 PM

Usually if the bad pixel is dead set in the center of the screen the store will take it back. If the pixel is off to the side or at top they won't. You shouldn't have any problem. As advanced as computers have become I don't know why this crap shoot with dead and stuck pixels is still acceptable by law. If a consumer buys 2 new notebooks and one is perfect and the other has a dead or stuck pixel the store should not have the right to say, "Well that's a fact of life with LCD's" and force the customer to keep it or charge him a restock fee to exchange it. At least the consumer should get a slight discount or partial refund for the flawed screen. Unfortunately the No Lemon law doesn't apply to flawed pixel LCD's.
( Last edited by hldan; May 21, 2006 at 12:22 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
Usually if the bad pixel is dead set in the center of the screen the store will take it back. If the pixel is off to the side or at top they won't.
Not true, every Powerbook I've had (4) came with one dead or stuck pixel, usually close to a corner. I brought them back to an Apple Store and they were all replaced. As a matter of fact my last 15" Powerbook was replaced 3 times as the replacements all had a stuck pixel until the 3rd replacement. I've found that if you purchase a MacBook from an Apple retail store if there is even one dead or stuck pixel there is no problem getting it replaced. I always tell the salesperson or the manager of the store in advance that dead/stuck pixels are unacceptable to me and they have always agrred to replace it if there were any. Now if you purchase from the Apple online store I'm not sure if every retail store will do the same, it's probably up to the managers discretion.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by striker100
Not true, every Powerbook I've had (4) came with one dead or stuck pixel, usually close to a corner. I brought them back to an Apple Store and they were all replaced. Now if you purchase from the Apple online store I'm not sure if every retail store will do the same, it's probably up to the managers discretion.
That is absolutely correct as being manager's discretion. My first 17" Powerbook purchased at my local Apple retail store was defective out of the box and they exchanged it and the newer one had a stuck blue pixel. I was on the phone with the manager for an hour trying to make him understand that it was unacceptable then he told me to bring it in and he would exchange it but if the next one had a bad pixel I had to keep it.

I bought a 30" Cinema Display at the SF Apple Retail store. It had shimmering pixel issues. The Apple store exchanged it and it and opened it right in the store and it had a stuck red pixel. They said if there were no shimmering pixel issues with this one I had to keep it or pay 10% restocking fee to exchange with no guarantee that the next one would be perfect.

IT's all up to the management. I'm sure the newer MacBooks have a nicer screen but if they come with a bad pixel the store can still reject exchanging it for the guy who posted this thread. Your exchange experience was luck because you bought it from a store with a more lenient manager. It doesn't work for everybody like that so you should offer the poster a reality story not just your story.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by RevEvs
Also you just got it. In the UK you can return anything within 14days - no question's asked - not sure about the US.
I believe you have at least three days in the U.S.

Originally Posted by striker100
I've found that if you purchase a MacBook from an Apple retail store if there is even one dead or stuck pixel there is no problem getting it replaced.
Hmm, so is this an additional incentive to buy it directly from the local Apple Store? I'm not a big money-baller, but I bought my eMac, and I believe my iPod from the local store, and I brought them another sale when I took my friend and convinced her to buy an eMac (for her first computer), and I've never had to take anything back. Shouldn't that count for something if you're buying yet another system and you're not happy with it?

Honestly, I find it uncool for a manager/Apple rep. to tell you you'll need to just accept a permanently stuck or dead pixel on your new system, specially if it's going to be your main system.

On a different note, PJ, have you tried the usual remedies for stuck pixels-- rubbing it, etc?
( Last edited by Gamoe; May 21, 2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: More Info)

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 05:53 PM

I've heard that Amazon.com has a much better policy. I would have gone with them if I hadn't wanted BTO

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 06:11 PM

Hey guys...just got home with my 3rd Macbook. They exchanged it no questions asked really. I called about five different stores in the Los Angeles area...they all said they'd exchange it....none of them had Black Macbooks though and I didn't want to wait another 5 days to get one because that would be 5 more days off my 14 day return policy. So I drove about 30 minutes to another store to get one and they did it. I opened it up in the store and everything looks ok...for now, haha. Thanks for everyones reponses...they seem to be pretty good with the exchanges so far...obviously...and I don't mind getting a new computer every other day, hahaha, I just had loading application after application and then realizing that there is some wrong with the thing and I need to exchange it....again! So hopefully this is the last time. Thanks again for all the responses and advice.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 06:23 PM

That's good to hear. The issue of stuck pixels is a bit of a tricky one. Some claimed that if manufacturers had to supply perfect screens, it would raise prices dramatically, but it seems to me that it's gotten rare enough that Apple could probably afford to do this for people who care about it. I've never had a bad pixel (as far as I can tell) in the 8 or 9 laptops that I or members of my family have owned.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 06:46 PM

I think I have a "stuck" pixel in my iBook somewhere that shows up only with certain colors. But it's very minor and it is a 3 year old notebook. More or less the same with my old PowerBook 1400, though I can't say I remember exactly. I would think the technology has matured since then. The newest desktop LCDs I've bought have no stuck or dead pixels, so I don't really see what Apple can't do the same.

Good to hear you're situation is solved (hopefully!), PJ!

hldan
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 06:53 PM

Good News! This means that Apple is really caring about their customers now as this was not the case in the past with them. Congrats
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 07:40 PM

Now my Macbook wines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Urgh......

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 08:59 PM

I worried about this a ton before buying my 20' Apple LCD. After searching and searching I found one on the screen. It drove me crazy for about ten minutes. Then after I started using the computer I forget about it completly. Only with effort could I find it. The much more annoying problem is on my old iBook 600. It has an entire line that goes red when asked to display any color other than white. And of course it waited until well after warrenty to start doing that. Its been doing it for three years.

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 11:23 PM

Well guys....I went into the Apple Store again and said my Macbook was whining and they said they could either give me another...or I could try a Macbook Pro. So I opted for the Macbook Pro and thought I'd give it a try. Hopefully It ends up being ok...the guy at the store said he just got a shipment of 2.0ghz (the one they gave me) and that he took one and hasn't had any whining with it...so I'm hoping I get the same results. Anyways....I'll keep everyone updated....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 11:25 PM

Did they just give you a MBP or did you have to pay the difference?

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 11:53 PM

They made me pay a restocking fee....that's it. Which was still about $150.00 but alot better then about $400.00 for the "upgrade" as they called it. We'll see how it works out.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Umm, no. If he's in Europe, it's his decision. Apple has to take it back within a certain period of time after purchase. Within that period, it's whatever *he* wants. It's called customer protection.
Oops... didn't know things were different for Apple Europe.

Here in the US, it's up to the particular store manager whether to replace the machine or not due to a dead pixel. A single dead pixel is considered well within spec, and if the manager refused to replace your machine, you'd be fighting a losing battle from there.

Sure they can offer you a return within 14 days, but according to Apple, LCDs should generally be considered unacceptable (replaceable) with a "high number" of pixel anomalies.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2006, 03:13 AM

They made me pay a restocking fee....that's it. Which was still about $150.00 but alot better then about $400.00 for the "upgrade" as they called it. We'll see how it works out.
Oh, so how did the second one work out? If I had a dead/stuck pixel in the middle of the screen I would probably eat the restocking fee as well. The standard that mfrs use before they replace the screen is just not reasonable, also they should take into account the location of the dead or stuck pixel. One stuck pixel in the middle of the screen is just too distracting and should be replaced w/o a restocking fee.

I bought a 40" LCD TV and it has a stuck sub pixel about two inches from the bottom right. Not noticable though because i have to sit 10 feet away from the screen and it is stuck on blue which just blends in to most colors.

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 04:17 AM

They didnt make me pay a restocking fee for the second one. I went back this morning...with the dead pixel...and they swapper it right out...no problem. I went back after that though because the Macbook they gave me before was whining like a S.O.B. and they told me I could either pay the restocking fee and try a Macbook Pro or just get another Macbook. I decided to try the Macbook Pro. Just because he told me the new shipment had seemed like there was no issue with them and the genius bar guy said he just got his and it has had no whine...so I got sucked in...but it was they were cool about it overall...nice that they gave me the option. I like the Macbook...and still might go back to it in a few months or in August when Merom has been switched out for the current chips. Who knows....this Macbook Pro may not even work out!!! haha.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2006, 06:05 AM

so if you paid $1300 for your macbook that means you got a macbook pro for $1450? "deal of the century" (if it works)

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 05:32 PM

Sort of, I paid $1400 for the Black Macbook plus tax....so about $1520. Then paid a $150.00 restocking fee and got the Pro. So about $1670. So it's a deal, never the less....it wines a bit....not tooooo loud. I might just stick with it...we'll see...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2006, 05:42 PM

Maybe it's YOU, not the MacBooks ?

-t

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Maybe it's YOU, not the MacBooks ?

-t
Could be....probably not though. When you get a computer home and you can't use it because the clicker on the trackpad is stuck down so much on the right it wont recognize your commands. Or when you're on your second one and right out of the box, there are dead pixels right in the middle of the screen....and then the third one! it' whines and won't recognize a dvd. Those issues make you believe just a little bit that it's not you being picky. I resent the comment...I paid $1500 for a computer to work...maybe require repair down the road, but not first thing. Before the Macbook I had a Powerbook 1.5 ghz that went through 2 keyboards, a top case for the trackpad, and then finally some speakers. I know that there can be issues with things and those issues came up after i'd owned the computer for about 4 months and in the end, I loved my powerbook more then any other computer I've owned. So, my point is...yeah, maybe to you it sounds like I'm being picky...but it's not like the Macbooks have been out for 6 months...they havent...they've been on the market since last Tuesday...there is an exception for error and I wasn't mad.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 06:15 AM

Hey guys...wanted to ask your opinion. I bought my Black Macbook Friday night...got it home....the clicker on the track pad was messed up. So I took it back today, they cleared it and gave me a new one. So I get this one home and tonight realized I had a dead pixel right in the middle of my screen...like dead center...and it's kinda bugging me. What should I do? Take it back again??? Would they swap it out again since it's my second one and because its the first day I've had it? I'd like to get some opinions before I go back in. Thanks!
i had heard about dead pixels in older macs, but nothing recently. is this something to be concerned about overall.

my aging powerbook has no obvious dead pixels (thankfully), but if it did i'd be bummed out.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 06:16 AM

They didnt make me pay a restocking fee for the second one. I went back this morning...with the dead pixel...and they swapper it right out...no problem. I went back after that though because the Macbook they gave me before was whining like a S.O.B. and they told me I could either pay the restocking fee and try a Macbook Pro or just get another Macbook. I decided to try the Macbook Pro. Just because he told me the new shipment had seemed like there was no issue with them and the genius bar guy said he just got his and it has had no whine...so I got sucked in...but it was they were cool about it overall...nice that they gave me the option. I like the Macbook...and still might go back to it in a few months or in August when Merom has been switched out for the current chips. Who knows....this Macbook Pro may not even work out!!! haha.
do you have applecare? if so, would you still have to pay a restocking fee?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro
do you have applecare? if so, would you still have to pay a restocking fee?
The original poster has already solved his problem... this thread is over 3 months old....

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 07:09 AM

yes, but my question wasn't answered. does applecare cover restocking fee?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 07:51 AM

No it doesnt

Forum Links
Forum Rules