Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PBs and deal pixels

New PBs and deal pixels
herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 03:26 PM

From what I've read on the forum, it seems like not too many of the new PB owners have had problems with dead pixels. My 17 PB arrives tomorrow and I'm praying to God Almighty that it will have zero dead ones.

Any new owners with dead pixels?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by herbsman:
From what I've read on the forum, it seems like not too many of the new PB owners have had problems with dead pixels. My 17 PB arrives tomorrow and I'm praying to God Almighty that it will have zero dead ones.

Any new owners with dead pixels?

I'm thinking you should save your prayers for something that actually matters.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 07:24 PM

I got the new 17" and there is one red one at the bottom right of the screen. It's ontop of the dock so I never even know it's there.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 07:29 PM

If I got one with a single dead pixel it would be returned to Apple the second I noticed it.....

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 07:36 PM

Yeah, dead pixels are a pet peeve for me. My TiBook I had earlier this year had what appeared to be a speck of dust behind the LCD, but it was over the dock so it wasn't that noticeable. It still drove me crazy to know that it was there. If my new 12" has dead pixels I will probably attempt to get it exchanged at a retail store as it seems they have let others do that here. If not, I'll have to raise some hell on the phone. If crappy retailers like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc let you exchange laptops with dead pixels, there's no reason why Apple shouldn't allow it.

clf8
Sep 28, 2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by CobraNT:
If I got one with a single dead pixel it would be returned to Apple the second I noticed it.....
Closest I could find on Apple's pixel return policy: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194

I'm sure there are threads around here talking about it. I looked really closely when my 15" arrived and seemed to only have one dead pixel (which I was happy about, coulda been worse). In looking for it now though, I can't find it, so it must not be dead. Every "dead' pixel I think I see, it just turns out to be a speck of dust.
-Flowers...

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 08:20 PM

Return Policy? If my PB arrived with a dead pixel they would be sending me a replacement or not getting paid from my credit card company.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 08:32 PM

Return Policy? If my PB arrived with a dead pixel they would be sending me a replacement or not getting paid from my credit card company.
Apple's joke of a return policy is to service every item first. This is why I hate ordering Apple products because not only do they enforce this ludicrous policy, but all Apple resellers offer no returns/exchanges whatsoever on Apple products (the only exception is Amazon and for iPods, Dell and Best Buy where their regular no hassle returns apply). Everything must be returned to service first to be determined if it's DOA. With DOA items you can have it serviced or exchanged. If it's not DOA it will be serviced, or you will receive a refurbished item. It's quite ridiculous to spend the amount of money on Apple products to be offered the worst customer service. How they can refuse to exchange defective products is beyond me. It's times like these I wish USA had some consumer protection like those in Europe have where they are allowed to refuse defective items.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 08:35 PM

My credit card offer me protection against that type of issue, its called a chargeback. I simply call my card company, tell the them problem, and they don't pay the company I purchased from until I am satisfied. Policies tend to disappear when they all a sudden don't have the money in their pockets any more.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 08:40 PM

Heh, true there are chargebacks, but if Apple themselves show their return policies, which I assume you agree to when you make a purchase they can still claim you owe them money and that will result ruining your credit. Legally, what rights do you have in a situation like this where Apple's policies show that they won't exchange a product unless it's DOA? The only times I've used chargebacks are when I don't receive an item I've ordered.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 08:48 PM

I received my new AL 15" with ONE dead pixel.

Normally I would not pay it any mind if it were in an obscure part of the screen.

This one is, however, right at 12 o'clock and one inch below the menu bar and is dead in a 'white' state.

It disappears in may cases.. but shows up like the North Star on the boot screen and any background that is darker that 25% grey.

I will be phoning Apple and getting it fixed or it will be returned. This is a BTO.. so I had no chance to inspect it until it got to my doorstep.

I'll keep y'all posted.

toby

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 08:53 PM

Thankfully no dead pixels on my Al 15!

luckiesf1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 09:28 PM

When I first got my 12" PB, a dead pixel appeared within a few hours of use. I called Apple and told them about it and they told me that I need at least 3-4 dead pixels before they can take it back. The rep documented my complaint and then reminded me of apple care. A few days later, I spotted another one near the top of my screen, but have not gotten around to tell Apple.
12" 867 PB/1128MB RAM/60GB/SD/Airport Express/BT Mouse + Keyboard/40GB ipod.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 10:19 PM

No where when ordering on-line or at an Apple store does it ask that I agree with their policies as a condition of sale. Apple is not stupid. Usually just the threat of a chargeback will resolve an issue like this. A chargeback will not ruin your credit and my credit card company often will help resolve the issue before issuing a chargeback. In a previous issue I had with a defective auto part I ordered they phoned the customer service department of the company and explained I was not happy with the service I was getting and had requested a chargeback. The manager of the company promptly resolved the issue going against the company policy. The chargeback was never even issued and the problem was resolved. Just because a company has a policy does not mean the consumer has to agree with them. However, to keep within 'legal' guidelines after issuing a chargeback you are required to contact the company and request they make arrangements to pick up the defective item at their cost. The customer is king, do not ever forget that.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 10:31 PM

I have 8 stuck pixels and the white spots on my 15" AlBook. Apple agreed to replace/repair it last Thursday. Still waiting for the FedEx box to arrive. Maybe tomorrow.

Jerman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 10:39 PM

I am trying to decide whether I want a 12" or a 15". I am wondering if Applecare will assure that if I have a dead pixel that I can return it.... Anyone know this? Also, are you able to purchase Applecare after you buy the computer? Thanks.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 10:51 PM

No dead pixels on a new 15 inch model. I had unboxed it at the Apple Reseller to check everything out before leaving. It booted, worked off AC power, accepted discs, worked on the Airport network, ran programs fine, and had no display issues, so I took it home.
<This space under renovation>

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Jerman:
I am trying to decide whether I want a 12" or a 15". I am wondering if Applecare will assure that if I have a dead pixel that I can return it.... Anyone know this? Also, are you able to purchase Applecare after you buy the computer? Thanks.
Applecare offers service/replacement on dead pixels at their discretion. They have no official number that they tell the public. It's usually 3-4 pixels. If they are right next to each other, they may make exceptions for a lower dead pixel count. You don't need to purchase Applecare at the time of purchase, it can be purchased up to 1 year after you bought the laptop. For least hassle, if you have an Apple Store nearby, buy from them and open up the laptop in the store and inspect it. They will probably be more accomodating than the online store. Their policies state otherwise, but you can get them to exchange products that you find unsatisfactory. I did it with my iPod that had a messed up hold switch the other day.

Jerman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 11:06 PM

We have an Apple Store very close, so that should not be a problem. So right when I buy it, I will insist on inspecting it.... I am pretty sure on getting the 15" btw, but a bit concerned about the issues I have heard about it.

beefstu01
Sep 28, 2003, 11:07 PM

No dead pixels here, nor any of the bright spots. I guess I'm sorta lucky... My complaints are basically that my lid doesn't close completely flush (there's a warp of like 1 mm on either side) and that the laptop gets kinda hot (well, only while playing UT2k3, which the AlBook has no problem ripping through)

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 11:09 PM

I agree with schk. If you have an Apple Store close by go there and buy your laptop. This is the only way to make sure you won't have any dead pixels etc. Inspect it and take it home.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 11:48 PM

My credit card offer me protection against that type of issue, its called a chargeback. I simply call my card company, tell the them problem, and they don't pay the company I purchased from until I am satisfied. Policies tend to disappear when they all a sudden don't have the money in their pockets any more.
Chargebacks aren't an instant thing, especially not when you try to order $3000 worth of equipment and say "It's defective, I'm taking my money back."

One dead pixel does not equal a defective screen.

Edit: Try massaging your screen if you have one dead pixel.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 11:55 PM

I agree with schk. If you have an Apple Store close by go there and buy your laptop. This is the only way to make sure you won't have any dead pixels etc. Inspect it and take it home.
I bought my TiGz at the Apple store here. It was my third Powerbook and I felt that maybe I was due for a dead pixel as the first two were perfect, so I opened it up in the store an started it up while searching the screen. It looked fine so I took it home and there I found one that I couldn't see against the grey and blue of the initial startup process in the store. To really check it out you'd have to do the whole setup then and there and then run a pixel check program. Luckily once I found mine I actually liked it and was glad my computer was unique. Then I developed another problem with the screen and Apple replaced it with a perfect one and I really missed the little green cutie. I'm now convinced that 'Pixel Karma' exists and you will get what you fear the most. Worry about more important things in life that an almost invisible little dot.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

one09jason
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 12:04 AM

This does not work in my experience. The staff at the Apple store will not let you open the box unless you buy the item. If you buy the item and don't like what's inside, they charge you a 10% restocking fee. I had a problem like this with a Studio Display that I bought at a store. I appealed to the highest level of management at the store. I got stonewalled and quoted policy no matter how persuasive I was.

My experience with Apple in general is that I always get stonewalled and quoted policy. On a different issue, I once suggested to an AppleCare rep on the phone that I could use my credit card company to defend me and refuse payent. He said had to terminate the call because I had "threatened legal action against Apple". They have an expensive legal team that covers all the angles so that these policies are inforced. For some inexplicable reason, Apple has an incredible reversion to taking things back, even when the complaint is quite resonable. As much Macs are great products, I must say Apple can be a really terrible company. It is sometimes very hard to be an Apple advocate and supporter when the company treats people so badly.

If anyone here has ever has success using their credit card company to refuse Apple payment for something like this, I would very much like to know. Short of making a legal battle out of it, this seems like our only defense against being screwed over by corporate "policies".

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by schk:
Apple's joke of a return policy is to service every item first. This is why I hate ordering Apple products because not only do they enforce this ludicrous policy, but all Apple resellers offer no returns/exchanges whatsoever on Apple products (the only exception is Amazon and for iPods, Dell and Best Buy where their regular no hassle returns apply). Everything must be returned to service first to be determined if it's DOA. With DOA items you can have it serviced or exchanged. If it's not DOA it will be serviced, or you will receive a refurbished item. It's quite ridiculous to spend the amount of money on Apple products to be offered the worst customer service. How they can refuse to exchange defective products is beyond me. It's times like these I wish USA had some consumer protection like those in Europe have where they are allowed to refuse defective items.
Unless you know what you're talking about, please don't make statements like this. CompUSA will exchange any defective Apple product within 14 days of purchase, with a new unit! After 14 days, it falls under Apple's warranty policy, and it gets repaired under warranty. I don't know where you get your "facts" from, but they're wrong!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

one09jason
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
CompUSA will exchange any defective Apple product within 14 days of purchase, with a new unit! After 14 days, it falls under Apple's warranty policy, and it gets repaired under warranty. I don't know where you get your "facts" from, but they're wrong!
Interesting. Do you know if CompUSA considers a dead pixel as "defective". Will they take back a PoweBook with a dead pixel?

If so, that'd be very cool and a good reason to order from them.

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 01:12 AM

Good to hear--CompUSA is my closest Mac source (and has been a great Apple store for a couple years now).

I'd like to remind people that sometimes bad pixels can be "massaged" gently out. I've never done or seen this--my Lombard's screen is perfect--but SUPPOSEDLY that can be a fix sometimes. For what it's worth.
nagromme

SillyMe
Sep 29, 2003, 02:21 AM

Significant usage of diputes leading to chargebacks can affect your credit rating in a negative way. Also, if the credit card company determines/rules the charge to be appropriate after investigating from the vendor and the purchaser, you may be recharged the amount pending new information. The policy that guarantees your satisfaction may be additional coverage (insurance) that you pay via a flat rate based on your balance. I doubt if you lack this extra coverage, your "satisfaction" alone would be a strong enough reason to warrant a chargeback, especially since the industry's average dead pixel policy may be upward in the rage from 4 to 10.

I'm not saying the dispute wouldn't work, just that you may have mixed results depending on the issuing bank.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 03:15 AM

I have one dead pixel on my new 15" Al.
C'est la vie.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 06:10 AM

Yes, this was talked about as well when the first 17" Powerbooks was released and people flocking towards ordering one. (I'm one of them) I was one of the lucky ones... not a single dead pixel on my beloved 17" screen. A perfect in every way working bute.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 06:26 AM

3 years after getting my Pismo, a little devil of a dead pixel showed its face on the LCD a week ago, I gave it a hard flick with the finger, and gone it was. Gotta love technology like that.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

wavegroom
Sep 29, 2003, 07:00 AM

I hope that my powerbook will arrive without deadpixels...
On my ibook I have a red dead pixel line!!!! From top to bottom. This line appeard after a year or so.... (I have broken my warranty with overclocking )

liquidh2o
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by one09jason:
This does not work in my experience. The staff at the Apple store will not let you open the box unless you buy the item. If you buy the item and don't like what's inside, they charge you a 10% restocking fee. I had a problem like this with a Studio Display that I bought at a store. I appealed to the highest level of management at the store. I got stonewalled and quoted policy no matter how persuasive I was.
Your statement is correct. I've had this discussion before as well. Their hands are tied, if they break the rules for you, then other people expect you to do the same for them. All of a sudden you have a bunch of people opening up products just to look at them, then deciding not to buy, and the product has to be sold as refurbished since it's been open. That'd be a big loss of profit if Apple allowed an "open before you buy" policy.

Not only that, if they break the rules for you, they can get fired. Apparently that's a policy too

Forum Links
Forum Rules