Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What Email app do you use?

View Poll Results: What Email Application Do You Use?
Poll Options:
Microsoft Entourage 18 votes (13.74%)
Apple Mail 96 votes (73.28%)
Other 17 votes (12.98%)
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll
What Email app do you use?
PowerBookOwner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 10:39 PM

What email application do you use the most?
14" iBook G4 1.42 gHz 60 gig HD w/SuperDrive

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2005, 10:51 PM

Thunderbird.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 01:04 AM

If Mail.app doesn't cut it for you, I suggest Thunderbird.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 03:55 AM

I like Apple's Mail a lot, especially now since I've set it up to check Hotmail, GMail, .Mac, and my normal POP accounts. It definitely has its quirks (no obvious way to flag messages when composing) it works really well for me. The filter rules are easy to set up which makes it easy to keep a dozen mailing list subscriptions somewhat organized.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 04:33 AM

Other - Mozilla Firefox. Really. I have two email addresses, both of which have webmail access. Although I have at some point set them both up to work with a separate email client, I found that they're simply easier to use just on the internet.

Well, the one that I only use once or twice a week doesn't get enough traffic to warrant setting it up with an email client, so I just access that one on the web. And I actually like Gmail's interface enough to use it instead of using Gmail's POP access.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 04:42 AM

Apple Mail is wicked - nice, clean and much better than outlook on pc or entourage.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 07:05 AM

Mail is all I need!

delete
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2005, 10:12 AM

Thunderbird. Lots of ways to customize.

-Q-
Jan 5, 2005, 10:17 AM

Entourage. Mail was almost there in Panther, but not quite. Still had some odd quirks that annoyed me (failing to download mail from some accounts, lost messages, crappy HTML forwarding). I'm hoping the Mail app that comes with Tiger will settle those issues for me.

I've given Thunderbird a go, but it's interface isn't quite polished enough for me. I'm thinking after a revision or two, it might be a good alternative, but for now, for my needs, Entourage it is.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 11:03 AM

What about GNUMail? It looks rather nice and has all the features you need.

Here's a screenshot:

And here's the decription:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/c...tion.cgi?pid=2
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

drive-thru
Senior User
Jan 5, 2005, 12:51 PM

Apple Mail.
It does email without anything else cluttering up the app and getting in the way.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 02:51 PM

Does anyone recall if GNUMail integrates with Apple's Address Book? It's not easy to tell from rooting around the website.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 02:54 PM

I mostly use the Gmail web interface. Occasionally I'll use Mail.app.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 03:37 PM

Can't believe I'm the only person still using Eudora. I started with it 9 years ago, and don't feel any reason to change.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2005, 04:22 PM

GMail here.

smitty825
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by eyadams:
Can't believe I'm the only person still using Eudora. I started with it 9 years ago, and don't feel any reason to change.
I too am using Eudora, but I've only been using it for about 8 years! I've tried a few other mail programs (mail.app, mailsmith, etc), but it seems that Eudora has always worked the best for me. I really wish it would integrate better with OS X, but I do appreciate it's speed, stability and customizability.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2005, 10:11 AM

Anyone using Mailsmith? I can't beleive that program cost $99.00.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 10:15 AM

what on earth do you get for $99 that you don't get for free in mail or thunderbird?

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 10:37 AM

I'm currently trying out GyazMail, and it seems pretty good.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2005, 11:23 AM

I find GyazMail to be a joke. For the longest time people have been commenting to the developer (or his English-speaking handler) that the program isn't serious if it doesn't support IMAP. The only reply is that the developer doesn't use IMAP himself/herself and so he/she won't bother incorporating it into GyazMail.

I personally can't trust something as essential as my e-mail to someone who treats important software as little other than a personal pet project.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2005, 11:29 AM

Entourage 2004 for me. Figured as long as I was paying for the rest of Office I might as well use it. It's really very convenient and I like the "Delete from server" option. Isn't Entourage's ancestry Claris Emailer?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2005, 02:36 PM

I use Apple's email, as it integrates so nicely with the system Address Book, which in turn integrates with iCal and iSync, which in turn keeps my three machines (home, office and laptop) and bluetooth cell phone synchronized quite nicely.


Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I use Apple's email, as it integrates so nicely with the system Address Book, which in turn integrates with iCal and iSync, which in turn keeps my three machines (home, office and laptop) and bluetooth cell phone synchronized quite nicely.
Idem

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 9, 2005, 10:45 AM

I use Apple mail because it is the one that most reminds me of Claris Em@iler.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 11:49 AM

Thunderbird

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by smitty825:
I too am using Eudora, but I've only been using it for about 8 years! I've tried a few other mail programs (mail.app, mailsmith, etc), but it seems that Eudora has always worked the best for me. I really wish it would integrate better with OS X, but I do appreciate it's speed, stability and customizability.
I used Eudora for many years, but about two years ago, i got fed up with the lack of updates, the yearly licensing, and the lack of OS X integration. Even though it was one of the first on the scene to work on OS X, it took forever to get Addres book integration and features like SMTP over SSL (even though this was in the OS 9 version). It seemed to me that every feature that I needed/wanted was another $40 and a year's wait.

I tried to like to Mail, but it just doesn't handle large quantities of mail gracefully, though it has gotten better.

For a while I was using Pine since I was on a terminal at work. Quite flexible for IMAP accounts.

I have since moved to Mailsmith, which is really nice. Not for everybody though. I heartily recommend SpamSieve for anyone with a spam problem (it came bundled with Mailsmith).

The funny thing is (and this should tell me something), I want every program I use to ultimately behave like Eudora (and have the speed of Eudora).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2005, 11:44 AM

Mail.app

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 11:46 AM

Thunderbird. Before that I used PowerMail, and before that I used Claris Em@iler (still arguably the best interface for an e-mail client ever).

This said, Mail 2.0 is shaping up to be awfully nice in Tiger. I've considered writing my own e-mail client in the past which completely ditches the folder concept in favor of database-style views (similar to the 'smart folder/playlist' concept), but I think I may end up giving Mail 2.0 a try first.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 12:01 PM

Gyazmail - MBox archiving/importing actually works...mail does not or did not.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by hudson1:
I find GyazMail to be a joke. For the longest time people have been commenting to the developer (or his English-speaking handler) that the program isn't serious if it doesn't support IMAP. The only reply is that the developer doesn't use IMAP himself/herself and so he/she won't bother incorporating it into GyazMail.

I personally can't trust something as essential as my e-mail to someone who treats important software as little other than a personal pet project.
That is NOT the reply i have had from the Dev. He told me he fully intends to implement IMAP. in addition, he hopes to bring Gyazmail inline with 'kmail'.

The website even lists IMAP support soon !!!

Reply i received

'I want to support IMAP ASAP, however it may take some time... :-( '

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 02:20 PM

i use mail.app. the gpgmail plugin makes using gpg with mail ridiculously easy.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Targon:
That is NOT the reply i have had from the Dev. He told me he fully intends to implement IMAP. in addition, he hopes to bring Gyazmail inline with 'kmail'.

The website even lists IMAP support soon !!!

Reply i received

'I want to support IMAP ASAP, however it may take some time... :-( '
Well, that's good news and I sure hope it happens. My comment was very accurate as of about six months ago, maybe a little more. The feedback from many to the developer for at least two years now has been "you must support IMAP" and this is the first I've heard of any positive follow up.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by hudson1:
I find GyazMail to be a joke. For the longest time people have been commenting to the developer (or his English-speaking handler) that the program isn't serious if it doesn't support IMAP.
Mailsmith is quite a serious mail program, but it doesn't support IMAP.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2005, 12:41 PM

I like the look of Thunderbird but all my email and mail boxes are in MAIL. Is there a way I can transfer my email easily into Thunderbird especially in view of all the recommendations!

magicbbird
Jan 13, 2005, 06:42 PM

I am currently using Mail (still). I like the simple interface. But sometimes it gives me headache.

Just a simple to Entourage users:
(1) When using hotmail plug-in with mail, I can actually delete mails from hotmail account (or .Mac?) after downloading to the computer. However Entourage seems to only sync. with the account, and I need to manually delete emails when it is getting full. Is it still true or am I missing some function?

(2) If using Mail, one advantage is when you upgrade your computer, you can use Apple's program to move all the mails, account settings, etc. to the new computer. If I store all emails in Entourage, how can I easily move all settings and messages to the new one?

Thanks in advance.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by magicbbird:
I am currently using Mail (still). I like the simple interface. But sometimes it gives me headache.

Just a simple to Entourage users:
(1) When using hotmail plug-in with mail, I can actually delete mails from hotmail account (or .Mac?) after downloading to the computer. However Entourage seems to only sync. with the account, and I need to manually delete emails when it is getting full. Is it still true or am I missing some function?

(2) If using Mail, one advantage is when you upgrade your computer, you can use Apple's program to move all the mails, account settings, etc. to the new computer. If I store all emails in Entourage, how can I easily move all settings and messages to the new one?

Thanks in advance.
When using M$:

-> using Entourage: simply copy the folder in your Documents folder -> Micro$oft User Data -> Office 2004 Identities -> Main Identity

and save this to your new Mac.

axlepin
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2005, 05:42 PM

I use Gyaz. The author is steadily improving his app with a revision approximately once a month. It has a great feature set which matches, sometimes eclipses that of Mail.app.

There are things I would like to see in gyaz, but it works for me just fine.

a

Forum Links
Forum Rules