Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari redirect -- netscape home page not opening

Safari redirect -- netscape home page not opening
bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 06:46 PM

I've always had my home page the Netscape/Apple page, with little newsy blurbs, plus interesting Apple news. I even tracked down that page when APple changed the default a month or so ago.

Starting today, though, I'm getting a weird "redirect" message (too many elements; page can't load because it's in some kind of "redirect loop.') Others are, too as I checked on the Apple support page.

Anyone know what's going on? There was some mention of deleting cookies, but I'm not sure if that will work. More importantly, I don't know what will happen if I do that!

nobodybutme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
I've always had my home page the Netscape/Apple page, with little newsy blurbs, plus interesting Apple news. I even tracked down that page when APple changed the default a month or so ago.

Starting today, though, I'm getting a weird "redirect" message (too many elements; page can't load because it's in some kind of "redirect loop.') Others are, too as I checked on the Apple support page.

Anyone know what's going on? There was some mention of deleting cookies, but I'm not sure if that will work. More importantly, I don't know what will happen if I do that!
It's not Safari. It was happening with Camino for me. I deleted the cookies and went to apple.netscape.com. It just gives you the generic netscape home page. I kind of liked that start page as well. Oh well.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2005, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by bbales:

its also happening on netscape, firefox, and ie for mac.

sigy827
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 06:03 PM

boy, am i glad to see that i am not alone here... been going nuts since yesterday when i got the exact same thing you are all getting.... can't seem to find the new url (i bet apple changed it again)...
i can't even get onto netscape from safari! i can, however, through my aol account.
but, i really liked that homepage and hope we can all figure out what happened and rectify this so we can get it back again..
pls. let me know if any of you discover anything regarding apple's netscape page.
thanks!

rickray1
Jan 15, 2005, 12:44 AM

Same problem here too.

It sucks. Thinking about changing the home page to something else. Any ideas?
Drink PepsiOne ! It tastes GREAT!

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 02:10 AM

Anyone have a good home page as a replacement to that?

yahoo = too much info....

google news = don't like the way it looks

apple's new homepage = no 'news' information, just apple-related stuff

???????

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 02:25 PM

FOr the moment, I've put in the google news page, but that's temporary. I may go with the CNN page.

Like a poster a few up, I can't even get to the regular netscape page -- it keeps recycling to the non-existent one, no matter what URL I use.

But for now, it's google.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 02:52 PM

Apple's ditched the Netscape start page. They now have their own:

http://www.apple.com/startpage/
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2005, 03:26 PM

Deleting any Netscape cookies in your browser should allow you to go to the generic Netscape start page.

Forum Links
Forum Rules