Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > "why doesn't Mac just switch to windows"

"why doesn't Mac just switch to windows"
obi 2 kenobi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 10:43 AM

OK, my roommate just asked me why Mac doesn't just switch to Windows, because "Microsoft stuff is just so much easier to use." Now, without resorting to gun violence, what's the best way to explain to him why he's a moron.

--Chris

P.S. I just switched back to OS 9, because X was driving me up the wall. Anyone else do this yet?

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 10:48 AM

Does your roommate actually use a computer or just read about them? Have they ever used a Mac?

By the way, I've been using OS X since September and I think it is great.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by obi 2 kenobi:
<STRONG>Now, without resorting to gun violence</STRONG>
Given what he said, gun violence (or a big wedgie) may be the only methods.

Carolus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 11:51 AM

Well..you have computers which promise you a lot and give you half of it (windows plug-and-pray) and there's a Mac OS 9 that recognizes my third party USB camera straight away after connecting it to the USB cable for my.. scanner; pictures on desktop without even installing any software which came with the camera ;-)
Same story for printers, videocamera's, ISDN modems, graphic tablets, etc.
In other words : your mac does promise a lot, and even gives you much MORE then you ever expected ..
(And even with the best MS Office version ever if you like it).

Apart from that : ever seen a laptop better designed, looks as well as functionality, strenght and design, then this new iBook ???

For the rest I wouldn't even bother: people without a clue tend to stick to the masses default, and will never get the point that your BMW is a better car than their Nissan, "because Nissan is better while it sells more cars then your...."

(pearls-for-pigs it was I think ;-)
* iBook 600 *
and loads of oldie Macs ;-)

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 05:48 PM

iMovie vs. Windows Movie Maker.

'Nuff said.

nest18
Mar 6, 2002, 06:34 AM

Let him try your mac .... that's the only way
An apple a day keep the Doctor Away :P

ZekeG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 10:59 PM

BLOOD!! BLOOD!! BLOOD!!
"The ships hung in the air the exact same way bricks don't"
----THGTTG

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 06:13 PM

Depending on how reasonalbe he is, you might just tell him that Microsoft stuff only seems easier to him because that was what he learned how to use first. Then tell him tha thtprofessional opinion of the two is that Mavs are easier- and that this is not a point that is debated (it is just accepted) by experts in the industry.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

fulmer
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2002, 02:38 AM

kind of like my computer-illiterate girlfriend: only last year did she start typing on a computer. how did she start a new paragraph? By hitting the space bar 5 times. I showed her how to use the 'Tab' key. Boy was that a time saver. She didn't like it at first b/c it was different. Hey, she's Russian, so cut her some slack.

Using a Mac is like using the Tab key for paragraphs. Using space bar for this is so stupid compared to the Tab option.

(windows is better at some things, however!).

VRL
Senior User
Mar 10, 2002, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by fulmer:
<STRONG>

(windows is better at some things, however!).</STRONG>
lol

MS is better with marketing and screwing competitors. Windows ... well, it just blows. (I know this from actual experience.)

To convince your "friend", perhaps appealing to his/her sense of justice and "right and wrong". Suggest they read the findings of the DOJ trial and research the history of B Gates ... and encourage them to stop supporting companies (people) that are consistently unethical and/or have been convicted of violations (crimes). In other words, take a stand.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by obi 2 kenobi:
<STRONG>P.S. I just switched back to OS 9, because X was driving me up the wall. Anyone else do this yet?</STRONG>
I did that a while ago. One day in X fully drove me crazy.

As for your friend he obviously has never really sat down and used a Mac for a while so his ignorance is understandable.

Biggest problem is that if Apple used Windows, why would anybody buy a Mac? To pay more money for slower hardware? The OS and OS-native programs are the Macs saving grace right now.

VRL
Senior User
Mar 11, 2002, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>
Biggest problem is that if Apple used Windows, why would anybody buy a Mac? To pay more money for slower hardware? The OS and OS-native programs are the Macs saving grace right now.</STRONG>
"Slower hardware" is not really true. And software is optimized (suppose to be optimized) for the hardware it will run on. Plus, in my experience, speed is relative to many things, not just processors. Ask yourself:

Does your OS crash often? Is your OS problematic? Are your apps written well, or are they buggy and unreliable? Do you have optimal hardware architecture , or a hash of parts that just barely work together? Something in between? Are there cheap parts thrown in (so the seller can save money/cut corners)?

If you have a 2+GHz Intel/AMD with a buggy OS installed, that crashes often, and requires a lot of troubleshooting, etc. ... any "perceived speed advantage" is long gone. This is particularly true when comparing it to a PowerMac with OS X (an OS that, in my experience, never crashes).

There's a reason my PC's are either turned off, or getting a new OS installed (Linux).
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Forum Links
Forum Rules