Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > "Items rescued from Mac HD..."

"Items rescued from Mac HD..."
nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2001, 10:25 PM

I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. I get items in the trash after restarts or shutdown/restarts that consist of a folder named "Items rescued from Macintosh HD" and inside is usually a different item every time. Sometimes it might be a "download cache" file, sometimes it is an actual installer app. Is this something new with OS 9.1? I recently re-formatted both of my Macs (an iMac and a Pismo Powerbook) that had OS X on them, and now neither do. But, the above stated issue still remains.
My guess is that it is an OS 9.1 thing, because that is the main constant in this equation pre and post format.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

------------------
Enjoy Sunny Graphics/Illustration

yoyo52
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 11:38 PM

With pre-9.0 OS (I think--my memory doesn't extend much beyond the day before yesterday ) those rescued items would pop up every time the computer crashed or froze. Then for a while they didn't appear any more. Now with 9.1 they appear again. And if you have X on your computer, there will be a rescued item in the trash every time you start up in 9.1. The files can be deleted pretty safely.

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

reader50
Administrator
May 29, 2001, 12:01 AM

The files in question are from a couple of invisible folders at the root of each partition. "Temporary Items" and "Cleanup at Startup" folders. These are intended for temporary files, and are supposed to be cleaned out at shutdown. If your system crashed, or if X shut down Classic less than perfectly, the cleanout would not happen and temp files would be left in these folders.

Upon reboot, the Finder cleans out the contents of these folders into the Trash. However, there was a bug in the 9.0/9.0.4 Finder and the cleanup would not happen. In fact, the accumulation of files in these folders sometimes started taking up a serious chunk of HD space after a time, and several freeware utilities were released to do the cleanup manually.

If you crashed with an important document unfinished, there is some chance a copy will end up in the Rescued Items folder. Probably under a nonsense name like "tempfile12345". But most of the time, just go ahead and empty the Trash. These are just files that were supposed to be deleted anyway.

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2001, 12:54 AM

So, is a program like "AutoPurge" not necessary any more? It is supposed to empty all of those temp files. I did notice once that when AutoPurge started up, it said "counting files", and I noticed some of those "rescued" items in the trash at the same time. Maybe AutoPurge was just doubling up on what the OS was already doing?
Most of the time, AutoPurge would just say "no files found" when it started up. By the way, I have it in my Startup Items folder, which I know starts up almost last when you reboot...
PS, thanks for the replies! Any info helps!

------------------
Enjoy Sunny Graphics/Illustration

reader50
Administrator
May 29, 2001, 01:33 AM

The cleanout at startup bug is fixed in the 9.1 Finder. That is where all those "Rescued Items" are coming from.

Forum Links
Forum Rules