Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > iTunes: Anyone created a colorized meter?

iTunes: Anyone created a colorized meter?
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2004, 12:14 PM

While at work, staring at my monitor when I should be working, I often find myself gazing at the sound meter of iTunes as it dances up and down. No, I'm not a drinker, and I'm not smokin' anything "funny" on the job.

I've always thought it would make nifty eye-candy if the bars were displayed in colors. You know, a nice, rich green color at the quieter levels; yellows and oranges for those wee bit louder tones; and fire engine red for the ear-bleed-inducing levels.

Has it been done? Can it be done? Will it be done?

D

p.s. - I wonder if Pepsi is putting something in those bottles with the iTunes caps on them? I feel this strange urge to buy another one and stare at my iTunes meter some more.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2004, 02:32 PM

the dancing eq thing there? iirc- i think its hard coded in, and nobody can find it. kinda like the blue behind the boot panel.

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 05:05 PM

I was thinking of the same thing...except I was thinking someone could create a giant konfabulator widget that would cover your whole desktop and have that iTunes thingy display there. Or it could be smaller, part of an iTunes remote

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Dave-o�
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 05:15 PM

Dace you might want to check the Konfab Forum for a coder and you do the graphics.. I was working with Lord Sith on a white remote.. but i have lost him... or i think i have...

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 07:13 PM

I have found that many graphical effects are hard coded into iTunes. An example is of the light gradient that furthers the brushed effect. Even if you make the background graphic file white, it will still have an odd metal look to it. Its too bad as for now, we have no way of changing that and getting some interesting iTunes skins out...

Aw man, I was really looking forward to that widget Dave. It was looking so cool... Too bad...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
getting some interesting iTunes skins out...
Originally posted by bbxstudio:
<< Bites tongue hard >>
I feel BBX's pain...

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 09:57 PM

Haha, its true though. The background graphic resource for the NEOS skin is pure black and the hardcoded gradient turns it into a grayish thing... If BBXs Omega is any darker than the NEOS skin then I doubt it would look very good.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2004, 10:00 PM

im not sure if you were being sarcastic but...i think that mean bbx knows something we dont

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
im not sure if you were being sarcastic but...i think that mean bbx knows something we dont
BBX is not skining iTunes is he? Last I heard he was making an iTR

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2004, 10:45 PM

someone, preferably with CIA torture training, needs to kidnap bbx so we can get some straight answers i think...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 01:17 AM

As far as I know BBX will just have a remote for iTunes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does do an iTunes theme...
click one

Dougmc  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2004, 09:58 PM

It seems that Konfabulator isn't a feasable option at this point as the EQ data isn't accessible via Applescript. Too bad really, that would have been a sweet alternative.

Still looking for possiblities.

eleshu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 12:41 AM

If your running panther, you might wan't to check this out http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22736 . I just got it today, seems pretty cool

Dougmc  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 09:03 AM

That's it! That's what I am looking for. Although graphically speaking the colors aren't as strong/saturated as I'd personally like. It's definitely proof that it can be done!

Thanks.

D

Forum Links
Forum Rules