Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > refurb MBP CD or new MBP C2D? different question

refurb MBP CD or new MBP C2D? different question
sab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 03:48 AM

Hi to all,
I am a pc user and decided to switch to mac. I love macbook pro's look,style.... I will use my MBP for just e-mail,browsing etc etc simple stuff. New MBP C2D is $1999 and refurb MBP CD is like $1399 or somthing like that, of course i want to save money but i found (searching forums) that MBP CD 1st gen has so many problems and refurb means that they were defected (99% of them) and i read that many people send their MBP for repair and they got back with same problem,so my question is that anyone bought refurb MBP CD and found any problem? I don't care of C2D,i wana save money but i can spend more money if i know MBP C2D is better than 1st gen in hardware wise. Please help me out because i am about to buy MBP.

thankz alot
Sab

PS:excuse my english if i did some mistake

sab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 05:36 AM

please reply

jocker
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2007, 09:19 AM

I have a first gen macbook pro (17") - its perfect.

As for the '99% of first gen macbook pros were defective' - what utter BS.

Many people with problems post on these boards, people who are experiencing no problems tendnot to post so much.

Hope this helps.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2007, 09:49 AM

I have an early edition MBP CD 2.0. I would happily purchase this machine again.

As for any refurbished product, a test drive is critical. If not possible, be sure to have a Money back guarantee return policy.

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 02:01 PM

Get the C2D. It has longer usability (only by a bit, though) and it is 802.11n capable.

runninkyle17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 02:51 PM

Actually all refurb Mac products are covered by the original AppleCare warranty. So it is just like buying a new computer, but cheaper. Good luck.

I would go with the C2D, but that is just me. I just got a 2.33 C2D and I love it. The FW800 is a big plus for me and not to mention Leopard is going to be 64-bit. Although Leopard will also be 32-bit, but I just like running 64-bit OSes better.

sab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jocker View Post
I have a first gen macbook pro (17") - its perfect.

As for the '99% of first gen macbook pros were defective' - what utter BS.

Many people with problems post on these boards, people who are experiencing no problems tendnot to post so much.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for replying

i wana clear that i didn't say 99% of 1st gen were defective

i said "refurb MBP means 99% were defective"

thanks again for all your help

sab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 06:43 PM

Any one who own refurn MBP 15"?

amanmann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 09:42 PM

I just got myself a refurb 15" C2D MBP from the apple online store. Everything seems to be just like new except ..the superdrive which makes a lot of noise on reading written media... The screen does have a noticeable grain like all the other MBP's but frankly i've got used to it and doesn't bother me as much now. But because of the drive problem I'm sending it back to apple.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 04:47 AM

I own both a 2.0 GHz CD MBP and a 2.33 GHz C2D MBP. In terms of pure performance there is no huge difference. It's noticeable when you do benchmarks, but not so much in everyday tasks. And for the tasks you mention it certainly won't make a great difference.

If you value all the extras of the C2D (802.11n, FW800, 6xDL SD, better heat management, etc.) don't hesitate to get it. If you don't require those things or you're on a really tight budget, settle for the CD.

dandbj
Jan 29, 2007, 10:46 AM

Get the newer model. If this is your first Mac, you will experience something that just does not exist on the PC side, resale value. When it is time to upgrade, you will be able to sell your Mac for top dollar on ebay and buy a new one for very little. The newer model will definitely be worth it when it is time to sell.

jdrumstik
Jan 29, 2007, 12:24 PM

I have a rev A 15" MBP CD

It has had loads of problems; currently I am suffering from a superdrive that can only write DVDs at 1X and usually fails.

Additionally if I ever put my computer into sleep by closing the lid it probably wont wake up. also It like to try to eject the Super Drive one or two times after I put it to sleep.

I like my computer but I do not see myself purchasing refurb products.

And I believe when he said 99% of MBP are defective he was speaking of the refurb computers.

sab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by jdrumstik View Post
I have a rev A 15" MBP CD

It has had loads of problems; currently I am suffering from a superdrive that can only write DVDs at 1X and usually fails.

Additionally if I ever put my computer into sleep by closing the lid it probably wont wake up. also It like to try to eject the Super Drive one or two times after I put it to sleep.

I like my computer but I do not see myself purchasing refurb products.

And I believe when he said 99% of MBP are defective he was speaking of the refurb computers.

thanks for your help
i have decided that i will buy new MBP c2d after student discount

yea you are right i meant 99% of refurb are defective.

thanks again

Forum Links
Forum Rules