Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > safari popups

safari popups
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2009, 02:32 AM

I'm needing some help. Safari 4 will not open new links I click on in another tab unless I control click it and specify that. If I just click a link it just opens another window. Is there anyway to force it to open in tabs? I've checked the prefs and have the check mark in the box for open links from apps in tab.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2009, 10:20 PM

Anyone? Please? I just need to force new windows to open in tabs.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 30, 2009, 01:15 AM

Maybe the setting in Preferences > General "Open links from applications" applies to Safari itself? You could try setting that to open in a new tab.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2009, 01:24 AM

Command-clicking a link puts it in a new tab, but I agree that there should be a way to force all windows to open as tabs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009, 08:54 PM

I've already set it to open app links in a new tab. I can't find any other way of doing it. Its really starting to piss me off. Firefox and opera do it just fine, Safari 4 doesn't.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2009, 05:53 AM

Then use Firefox instead. That's why there are choices.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2009, 06:50 AM

Download and install Glims.

Edit: my brother, coincidentally, just showed me "SafariStand" - it is exactly what you are after too.
( Last edited by kylef; Jul 1, 2009 at 02:44 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
I've already set it to open app links in a new tab. I can't find any other way of doing it. Its really starting to piss me off. Firefox and opera do it just fine, Safari 4 doesn't.
Safari does not have a feature to force all new windows into tabs. Links from applications are links from other applications (like Mail). Hold down the command key to open windows in a new tab or use Firefox, Opera or iCab. iCab is also WebKit based, so you get exactly the same rendering and performance as in Safari but you have a billion of settings available including opening all windows in tabs.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 12:21 PM

Just an update for those wondering. Glims is truly worth the download. Tabs now open exactly as I wish. Its free, easy to use and set up. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to change the way tabs works in safari.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 05:16 AM

Safari add-ons often break after updates, FWIW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules