Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD-R question

DVD-R question
melismak
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 03:13 AM

At the risk of sounding stupid, what kinds of files can I burn onto a DVD-R disc? Only video files? I'd like to back up a ton of graphic files as well as my whole dissertation, and the person at Best Buy (who was of questionably sound mind) told me I could "fit more on a DVD-R" than on a CD. I've been toying with it all night, though, and I haven't yet gotten it to work.

I've never had a DVD burner before, so pardon my dumb question (just got my MacBook on Oct. 30!)

ibook_steve
Nov 15, 2006, 06:41 AM

You can save anything on a DVD-R. You can make a disk that plays in a DVD player with video files through iDVD or Toast. When you say you've been "toying with it all night", what have you been doing? Just put a blank disk in the drive. It will mount on the desktop so you can manually add files to it and burn it on disk eject.

Steve

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 12:12 PM

I guess the problem is that when I insert the disc, it doesn't show up on the desktop. It prompts me to either open disk utility, start itunes or idvd or open the finder.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 01:51 PM

Personally, I find that using Roxio's Toast software is a lot more intuitive that Apple's method:

Buy.com - Roxio Toast 7 Titanium - 221000

Amazon.com: Roxio Toast 7 Titanium (Mac): Software: Windows

HazMacFan
Nov 16, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by melismak View Post
I guess the problem is that when I insert the disc, it doesn't show up on the desktop. It prompts me to either open disk utility, start itunes or idvd or open the finder.
It you choose Open with Finder it will show up on your desktop. From there you can start copying files to it and then burn them.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 02:01 PM

Excellent-thanks! I'm still adjusting to the whole mac interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules