Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Does an ATI Radeon 7000 work in a PM 8600

Does an ATI Radeon 7000 work in a PM 8600
dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2002, 03:10 PM

I was told today by someone at a computer dealer that the Mac ATI Radeon 7000 will not work in a PM 8600. Is this correct? Lowendmac says there are a few models it won't work with without a slight case mod. Is this correct? I hope so because the ATI 128s are really hard to find now.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

DrBoar
Senior User
Jun 26, 2002, 05:29 PM

AFAIK the 7000 will work in any PCI mac. If it is just 2D acceleration that you need the mach cards for 30-40 dollars with the number nine GPU
(http://xlr8.com/cgi-bin/cart-cc/cart.pl?db=stuff.dat&search=cat:Hot+Deals)
will serve you nicely.

dwishbone  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2002, 09:54 PM

I need a good card that will do 2d and 3d (openGL) for both MacOS 9 and X. The Radeon 7000 is the best overall card that fits that purpose that I have seen. It has lots of video RAM and is pretty zippy.
Best I can find on a PCI bus. Are their any others?

macsmoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2002, 12:18 AM

Did you look at this page yet?...http://ati.com/products/mac/radeon7000me/specs.html...No that sometimes you won't find that if you toy with a piece of hardware enough with software that it will work when it shouldn't but...However, if you are running an 8600, how are you running OS X? You can't even run 9.2.1 on that model...Or Rhapsody...

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2002, 12:56 AM

Transferring to the older systems forum, since this is about a PM8600
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

dwishbone  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2002, 08:15 AM

I dont actually have it yet...it is arriving Friday. With a G3/G4 upgrade a Beige Pre-G3 can run OS X nicely.
You can use XPostFacto or Sonnet's Installer X to install OS X on these machines.
9.2.x is another story all together...there is only one way I know of to upgrade a pre-g3 machine to 9.2.x, but the risks are not worth it. 9.1 is just fine and will run in the classic environment so I wouldnt bother.

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2002, 06:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by dwishbone:
<strong>I dont actually have it yet...it is arriving Friday. With a G3/G4 upgrade a Beige Pre-G3 can run OS X nicely.
You can use XPostFacto or Sonnet's Installer X to install OS X on these machines.
9.2.x is another story all together...there is only one way I know of to upgrade a pre-g3 machine to 9.2.x, but the risks are not worth it. 9.1 is just fine and will run in the classic environment so I wouldnt bother.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The Radeon 7000 PCI didn't work in any beige machine (Beige G3 and older) in OS X until the 10.1.5 update and ATI's recent Radeon update. I'm typing this now on my 8500 in OSX 10.1.5 and the Radeon 7000 works like a charm (for the first time)... as for upgrading to 9.2, I wouldn't bother, unless you'll be booting into X exclusively. If for some reason you need to boot into OS 9, you may be in for more of a hassle than the troublr is worth.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules