Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ADB and OS X

ADB and OS X
dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2002, 08:17 AM

I have heard that MacOS X has no support for ADB devices. Has anyone tried them? I was looking through the extensions manager portion of MOX Optimize and it lists ADB Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor drivers as being a part of MacOS X.
If the drivers are there...why dont the devices work with OS X?
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2002, 08:31 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by dwishbone:
<strong>I have heard that MacOS X has no support for ADB devices. Has anyone tried them? I was looking through the extensions manager portion of MOX Optimize and it lists ADB Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor drivers as being a part of MacOS X.
If the drivers are there...why dont the devices work with OS X?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">My Apple Extended Keyboard II, the best keyboard Apple ever made, works for me. It's pluged directly into my Mac, a B&W G3 (the last Mac with ADB) and works fine.

<small>[ 06-27-2002, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Simon X ]</small>

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2002, 12:12 PM

Yeah, if OS X didn't support ADB, how could the Beige G3's be supported? Apple supports their keyboards and mice, I think the "lack of ADB support" is in reference to third-party ADB devices, which need new drivers to run in OS X. No one will write those drivers, cause ADB has been deprecated as an interface, so basically no other ADB stuff works in X.

As a fun fact, the keyboards on the TiBooks are actually still ADB. Don't ask me why.

--J

dwishbone  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2002, 12:40 PM

Thanks, I was wondering that myself...because i knew the Beige G3s and Yosemite G3s used ADB. I figured it might have been more of Apple "leaving people at the station" like they have done so often the past few years. For example the floppy drive doesnt work in a beige G3 under X. Anyway,it's good to know I won't need to invest in a new USB keyboard when I get my 8600 tomorrow.

<small>[ 06-27-2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: dwishbone ]</small>
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2002, 02:32 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by dwishbone:
<strong>For example the floppy drive doesnt work in a beige G3 under X. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks to some good folks, it does:

<a href="http://www.darwin-development.org/floppy/" target="_blank">Floppy Driver</a>.

Check it out, looks like it would work with your 8600...works with my G3.

Cheers,

--J

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2002, 08:48 PM

It's too bad... i have a two-button MacAlly ADB mouse that only works with the left button in OSX. If I want full functionality, I'll have to shell out for a USB mouse, which isn't natively supported on my 8500.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2002, 12:14 PM

Following the logic of using ADB internal keyboards on PowerBooks, It probably hs to do with keeping USB free and open for other peripheral devices. It might also be a driver issue or a startup issue that causes Apple to continue to use ADB. Interesting though.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2002, 02:37 AM

I have a WallStreet PowerBook (last PowerBook to have ADB) and I use my Apple Extended Keyboard and MacAlly one button ADB mouse on it. They work fine, but then again the single button mouse should work fine anyway (no extra drivers required for just one button).

I am going to get a new computer, probably a lightly used G4 tower, in the next month or two and I like my keyboard so much that I'll buy one of those Griffin USB to ADB adapters.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules