Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Doggie was attacked. I need some help.

Doggie was attacked. I need some help.
ghostshadow
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2009, 02:16 PM

Hey all,

I debated whether or not to post this here since I do more lurking than posting. But I am in dire need of getting this information out to the "masses".
-------
Back story:

Back in August (17th) - My recently rescued puppy dog, named Danger, was attacked by another dog while we were out on a stroll for exercise. Unfortunately, Danger got tore up pretty bad. He's just a pup so he couldn't defend himself, the other dog was so fast that Danger, nor I, knew what was going on because it happened so quickly. Danger had to be taken to the vet and have some surgeries done. He is recoverying well, but I need some help with the situation. To read the full details of what all happened you can read the bottom post here : Please Help Save Danger Puppy

The reason I am posting this here is because I need a little help paying for Dangers vet bills. I lost my job several months ago and I am having one heck of a time trying to find other employment. I do not have nearly enough to begin to cover his bills. I don't want to sound like I have my hand out and I don't want to sound like I expect help from any of you.

The most I want out of this post is to spread the word about Danger so we can raise funds some how.

I have set up a digg link here : Please Help Save Danger Puppy We need Donations!

I set up a pledgie here : Pledgie — Donate To: "Help Save My Puppy Dog"

Dangers blog is here : Please Help Save Danger Puppy

Please pass word on to those that may be able to help, or just digg the link please.

Thank You

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2009, 03:08 PM

Couple of questions:

Was either (or both) your dog and the other dog on a leash?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghostshadow  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2009, 03:53 PM

Yes, my dog was on a leash / harness leash. The other dog was not, it came out from around bushes or a shed with bushes around it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
Yes, my dog was on a leash / harness leash. The other dog was not, it came out from around bushes or a shed with bushes around it.
California has some strict laws regarding pets. Hopefully where you live it's the same. If you know who's dog it is, it's the owner's fault. Period. Doesn't matter if the dog "got away from them" or anything. You can sue them in small claims court for up to $7500.
( Last edited by olePigeon; Oct 13, 2009 at 04:13 PM. )
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2009, 06:52 PM

Yes, sue the owner of the other dog in small claims court.

-t

ghostshadow  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2009, 10:53 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into it. We still don't know who the owner is, but we're still trying to get info. My only concern is the cost of court. I don't really know if I have enough to cover that kind of a ordeal. I will look into it though.

Thanks!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into it. We still don't know who the owner is, but we're still trying to get info. My only concern is the cost of court. I don't really know if I have enough to cover that kind of a ordeal. I will look into it though.
Lawyers will generally have a brief conversation with you to give you an overview (I think). There's no harm in calling one or two up just to see what they would charge you, court costs, etc. Also, the lawyer may be able to get his/her fees from a judgement or settlement, much like an attorney would take 33% of an injury settlement.

I donated $30.00. It's not much, and I have very little, but hopefully it will help a little. I just hope Danger recuperates completely, and that you and you Danger enjoy many quality years together.

If that MacBook Pro is your main tool used to earn income, I really don't think you should sell it.

Perhaps your vet can accept a payment plan or something... $50 or $100 a month or so?

Rumor
Oct 14, 2009, 11:46 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ghostshadow  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2009, 12:17 AM

Thank you very much Spacefreak and Rumor.

I am definitely going to look into it. @ rumor - I didn't even realize that existed, I will take a look into them, it looks like there's a branch around my area and they provide veterinary assistance. I will be giving them a call shortly to see what kind of information I can gain.

Thank you again. I really appreciate all of the information. This is all pretty new to me.

elyzabennet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2009, 01:49 AM

If you do decide to consult an attorney, look at your state bar's website. They should have info about where to get free legal advice as well as answers to your questions about small claims court.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to go door to door in the area where Danger was attacked and see if anybody will tell you if they know whose dog attacked yours. Since your dog was attacked for no reason, it is possible that the other dog has caused problems with other people in the area.

You have a very cuty puppy and I hope Danger makes a swift recovery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules