Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How do I control which types of traffic go over vpn?

How do I control which types of traffic go over vpn?
GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2009, 06:48 AM

I have a PPTP VPN which I would like to direct all traffic over (no problem all works fine) - except for some particular types of traffic, in this case usenet - which wont work over the VPN as it's account is tied to my IP, (which obviously changes if I use the VPN.)

Thanks.
I have Mac

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2009, 10:34 AM

The only thing I'm aware of that comes close is
Sys Prefs > Network > Your VPN > Advanced > Send all traffic over VPN connection

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2009, 10:35 AM

I'm sure there is some *nix magic that can be done. I just don't know how

-t

Cold Warrior
Jul 24, 2009, 12:18 PM

I've had problems getting dns lookups to use the vpn with the advanced setting simon mentioned. Could be my own failings in getting it to work though. The unix stuff is a pain as well.

Viscosity (shareware, inexpensive) works great and has a setting for that. I've used it recently and tested it with packet sniffing. It routes all over vpn, including dns lookups.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2009, 02:33 PM

First of all, there is no standard VPN implementation, there are several including PPTP, IPSec, OpenVPN, FreeS/WAN, and VPN provided by hardware. PPTP is what I believe Microsoft provides, and it is the least desirable in terms of its security reputation, as I understand it. I can't account for the setting that Simon found in OS X, but normally routing all traffic through your VPN is a server side setting. I've setup an OpenVPN VPN, and by default it didn't route all traffic through the VPN, this was an additional option.

If you are looking for a simple replacement that supports routing all traffic as you desire, OpenVPN is a good choice. The client that Cold Warrior posted, Viscosity, is an OpenVPN client. Tunnelblick is another free OpenVPN client if you don't wish to pay for Viscosity. On the Windows side the official OpenVPN client includes a GUI. Neither will not work with PPTP or IPSec based VPNs. Likewise, the built in OS X VPN client only works with particular VPN implementations - IPSec and PPTP, I believe. Any OS X setting you find in the System Preference Network pane will not apply to your OpenVPN VPN.

It is important to think about this stuff at a lower level than you guys are. Simply finding stuff in your GUI to click on and resorting to trial and error is not the way to do it. You need details and specifics of your server you are connecting to, and you have to understand how your server is configured realizing that the control you have on the client side is limited. If you are hampered by the VPN you are connecting to, just run your own if you can, it's not terribly hard setting up OpenVPN.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jul 24, 2009 at 02:40 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2009, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I've had problems getting dns lookups to use the vpn with the advanced setting simon mentioned. Could be my own failings in getting it to work though.
I've seen that as well. I'm pretty certain it's related to bad settings on the server side.

But there is an easy workaround. Just use OpenDNS IPs along with the setting to route all traffic over VPN. DNS lookups will then work while all the other traffic will still be routed through your VPN tunnel.

GENERAL_SMILEY  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2009, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the answers / suggestions - for the record I would love to use opnenVPN, especially for my home network, but I have found it a nightmare to set up (the server part anyway - viscosity is genius). I have it downloaded and installed it but can only get so far with configuring, and can never get a workable set up going.

As for the PPTP setup in the original question I don't have control of the server end, as it is a paid service.

I found this at Apple discussions - and unusually for those forums it sounds competent and straight to the point :

For the record, here is the solution -- you just need to disable the "send all traffic over vpn" option and set up a default route for the VPN network:

sudo route add (vpn network) (vpn network router) (netmask)

I can't get it to work, any ideas?
I have Mac

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2009, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I've seen that as well. I'm pretty certain it's related to bad settings on the server side.

But there is an easy workaround. Just use OpenDNS IPs along with the setting to route all traffic over VPN. DNS lookups will then work while all the other traffic will still be routed through your VPN tunnel.
What do you hope to accomplish with routing DNS requests over a VPN that can't be accomplished running your own DNS server, or relying on your /etc/hosts file? This seems like a lot of hassle to me, but I'm probably not understanding your objective here.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2009, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by GENERAL_SMILEY View Post
Thanks for the answers / suggestions - for the record I would love to use opnenVPN, especially for my home network, but I have found it a nightmare to set up (the server part anyway - viscosity is genius). I have it downloaded and installed it but can only get so far with configuring, and can never get a workable set up going.

As for the PPTP setup in the original question I don't have control of the server end, as it is a paid service.

I found this at Apple discussions - and unusually for those forums it sounds competent and straight to the point :

For the record, here is the solution -- you just need to disable the "send all traffic over vpn" option and set up a default route for the VPN network:

sudo route add (vpn network) (vpn network router) (netmask)

I can't get it to work, any ideas?

Not with an absence of details, sorry!

GENERAL_SMILEY  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2009, 05:50 AM

Apologies I don't think I was being very clear, and I'm still not sure this is the right way, so just bear with me.

I have a PPTP connection which I want to move all non local traffic over, (which currently works like that when I click the send all traffic over tick box) - except I want to keep one type of traffic (ssl usenet, port 563) outside of the VPN.

Does this make sense.
I have Mac

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2009, 01:56 PM

I don't think you can, not without controlling the server. There is no way that some VPN provider is going to route your traffic, incur your bandwidth costs, and take on this responsibility unless they want to.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jul 25, 2009 at 02:07 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules