Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ichat av cameras

ichat av cameras
CandyMaffia
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 09:05 AM

can you use only the isight webcam in the ichat program?? cause it is not recognizing my Philips ToUcam.. why?? did i miss anything??
imac g5 20" isight ed. user with ipod shuffle, ibook g3 700mhz, nokia 6680, canon cp3200

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2003, 10:03 AM

iChat only supports Firewire devices.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
iChat only supports Firewire devices.
Does this not work?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12294

iChatUSBCam 1.0.2

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2003, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Does this not work?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12294

iChatUSBCam 1.0.2
Officially, iChat only supports FireWire camera's. No technical reason why it cant work with USB camera's, other than Apple being greedy and wanting to shift more FireWire iSight camera's.

iChat USB cam was a popular patch to allow USB cams to work with iChat AV. But I believe you now have to pay for this..
Not only that, but drivers for Philips Toucams are kind of thin on the ground. Philips certainly dont produce them, and the popular universal Macam driver no longer works in 10.3 (In fact it causes a nasty crash I am told), and the developer is no where to be found. So who knows when that will be made 10.3 friendly.. (If you are still using 10.2 though, then the Macam driver is fine, and free!)
Last option is the 3rd party universal IOxperts driver. Which (surprise surprise) needs paying for too.. But does at least work in 10.3
It all adds up and starts to look a little pricey, So to offset the cost/agrovation, you may as well just go get a new iSight camera. Exactly what Apple want you to do..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules