Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Running Leopard from Time Machine backed up external...

Running Leopard from Time Machine backed up external...
asodamiac
Senior User
Mar 30, 2008, 12:54 AM

Hey folks,

I backed up my Powerbook G4 via Time Machine to an external drive before sending it off for repairs. My computer has not come back yet, so I will have to borrow my brother's Powerbook G4 for a few days. He is running Tiger, while my Powerbook is running Leopard. Will I be able to run my "computer" or the OS off of my external drive on HIS computer?

I just need to run my OS from the external for a few days until my Powerbook is shipped back to me. I don't want to reformat my brothers computer and load my OS onto his computer from Time Machine. If not, I could just access my files through the external, but it's not just accessing my files, but I would like to be able to access my "computer" in general. Same computer, different feel... I know it sounds crazy, but I can't stand using his Powerbook!

Thanks!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2008, 01:16 AM

No, that can't be done. The backup is (and should be) read-only. Booting however requires write-access.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 30, 2008, 12:01 PM

Darn. What a bummer!

Guess I'll have to thug it out for a few days.

Thanks.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

Forum Links
Forum Rules