Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs around the corner, Store is down

New iMacs around the corner, Store is down
Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 08:17 AM

Everybody has been expecting new iMacs. And recent rumors (here and here) claimed that should happen this week.

The AppleStore in the US and Europe have just gone down. Time to go crazy.

I'm anxious to see what they'll get apart from Penryn and bigger HDDs. And will Apple stick with ATI on the iMac?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The AppleStore in the US and Europe have just gone down. Time to go crazy.
Are you sure that the European ones too are down? If so, then yes, new hardware today.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
Are you sure that the European ones too are down? If so, then yes, new hardware today.
Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, France. All down.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2008, 08:34 AM

And will Apple stick with ATI on the iMac?
I think this is the most important point about an iMac update as of now. Apple received too many complaints for this one and rightfully so. In the last update Apple could just move to ATI as it did but leave the GPU option for the nVidia 7600 as it was, instead of downgrading and not giving an option at all. As for the "features" of these new ATI GPUs (hardware HD decoding) it is just ash in the eyes since Apple never used them and they still remain dormant.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 08:35 AM

Here we are: new iMacs!

20" 2.4 GHz, 2.66 GHz
24" 2.8 GHz, 3.06 GHz

The 3.06 GHz model has an 8800 GS with 512 MB VRAM. It's also a $150 option on the 2.8 GHz model.

moep
Senior User

Yup, another Apple store outage reveals yet another bump in product specs. This time, it's the iMac getting the treatment just as Geeksugar and our own sources predicted... on a Monday though instead of the Apple's customary Tuesday morning approach. So what's new? Well, for starters you're now looking at the latest Core 2 Duo processors starting at the same $1,199. The 24-inch model now sports a 3.06GHz processor and NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS graphics as options.
via Engadget
( Last edited by moep; Apr 28, 2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: too slow!)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran

Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, France. All down.
Right, checked from myself too, they are down. So, indeed, something is coming today.

EDIT: oops, I was too slow.

moep
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 08:43 AM

Here's a review of the 8800GS for those who aren't familiar with it:

8800GS 384MB quick comparison with 8800GT 512MB - Expreview.com
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 08:48 AM

Now here's the thing: The new iMacs actually don't just come with Penryn, they come with the new Montevina refresh Penryns and the brand new Cantiga chipset. That means they run a 1067 MT/s FSB. That's more than a month before they were scheduled to appear!

It also means Intel has changed their lineup (or Apple has received some type of special deal). The 2.4 GHz iMac comes with 6 MB L2 cache, whereas the announced P8600 was suppoed to come with just 3 MB. Also, a 2.66 GHz socket B Penryn wasn't previously announced at all. There was a P9500 at 2.53 GHz and a T9400 at 2.53 GHz, but no 2.66 GHz part.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 28, 2008 at 09:21 AM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 09:40 AM

cash will be pissed his iMac is now slow as a dog
we don't have time to stop for gas

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2008, 10:23 AM

Pity they didn't sort out the highly reflective glossy display.

I bought a recon matt imac for this very reason.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 10:33 AM

Nice update, esp. with the bus bump. However, the memory is still 800 MHz, because the iMac is still using SO-DIMMs. (Ironically, my G5 iMac used standard 184-pin DIMMs.) My understanding is that the Cantiga chipset does support 1066 MHz.

However, I'll wait until there's a viable Blu-ray solution (both playback and recording) with the iMacs. My 2.33 GHz 2006 C2D iMac will do fine until then. A 30" screen would be nice too. The continued mandatory glossy display is a little bit of a downer though.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 28, 2008 at 02:31 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 11:11 AM

Sounds like nice specs, but meh. Bring on the consumer tower.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Apr 28, 2008, 11:14 AM

Nothing makes sense here. The 8800GS does not exist as a mobile part, the 1066FSB is not supposed to be available for two more months and DDR2-800 is also not supposed to work with the current chipset. The GPU name could be Apple's way of renaming it, but the chipset? Is it really Montevina already? Sounds like it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 11:46 AM

It is the Cantiga chipset, not Montevina. And yes, Cantiga does support 800 MHz DDR2. RAM speed ≠ FSB clock.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 12:14 PM

Is the graphics card for the lower 24" and 20" models the same as the previous model? I was really hoping there would be a refresh for the graphics card across the board.

However, I think I'll be picking up one of these bad boys real soon!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 12:27 PM

The 3.06 GHz model has an 8800 GS with 512 MB VRAM. It's also a $150 option on the 2.8 GHz model.
And I really, really, wouldn't recommend getting that option. Stick with ATI, unless you like your Mac locking up all the time.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 12:42 PM

They kept the graphics the same across the board. All they did was give you the option of an 8800GS on the 24" ones.

That's really disappointing. It would have been nice if they had brought the iMacs up to the current generation with their graphics (Radeon HD 3xxx series and GeForce 9xxx series), but clearly Apple doesn't care enough about gaming to update their GPUs more than once every couple years. That's doubly bad because you can't upgrade them yourself.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 12:54 PM

Hmm, yeah I was hoping for a GPU upgrade, but the more I think about it, I really don't need it. I don't game much, but I mainly do work with photos and videos, but less and less lately. I'm debating if I should wait for the free iPod promotion for students or if I should go ahead and use my student discount to get the newer iMac today.
Dell 2408WFP

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
And I really, really, wouldn't recommend getting that option. Stick with ATI, unless you like your Mac locking up all the time.
Would this really apply to the iMac? I know the 8800 is known to lockup the Mac Pro, but that's a completely different set of hardware.

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
Hmm, yeah I was hoping for a GPU upgrade, but the more I think about it, I really don't need it. I don't game much, but I mainly do work with photos and videos, but less and less lately.
Parts of Final Cut Studio and Aperture can benefit from not only the faster GPU, but also the increased (and faster) GPU memory.

P
Apr 28, 2008, 02:05 PM

It is the Cantiga chipset, not Montevina. And yes, Cantiga does support 800 MHz DDR2. RAM speed ≠ FSB clock.
If you want to be picky, Cantiga is the chipset and Montevina is the platform. In this case, it is possibly Montevina (if they included the new network chip) but more likely Cantiga plus an updated Penryn. And yes, Cantiga supports DDR2-800.

Even curiouser is that the desktop 8800 GS doesn't support 512 MB RAM. It has a 192 bit bus, and thus supports 384 MB or 768 MB. Is Apple doing some private underclocking again, taking an 8800 GT or even 8800M GT and underclocking it to fit inside the TDP? It's hard to find which chip it is - Apple says that it's 2.2x faster than the Radeon 2600 Pro, but an 8800 is much faster than that. The only chip that's close to twice the 2600 Pro is the Radeon 3850 - not even 9600 GT level.

EDIT: An underclocked 8800M GT would fit that rather precisely, actually. 8800M GT is twice 8700M GT. 8700M GT is roughly comparable to Mobile Radeon 2600 XT. Apple's "Radeon 2600 Pro" is an underclocked XT. This means that we have something just under a desktop 9600 GT - not bad, by any means, but no 8800 GT.
( Last edited by P; Apr 28, 2008 at 02:22 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Would this really apply to the iMac? I know the 8800 is known to lockup the Mac Pro, but that's a completely different set of hardware.
Well, I've got a MacBook Pro, which is not really all that different from the iMac hardware-wise, and its NVidia 8600M GT locks up whenever I put it under any kind of load at all, including the back-and-forth flip that Front Row's music player does to switch the side of the screen that the album art is on. A RAGE 128 from 1999 would no doubt be able to render that little animation without breaking a sweat, and the GMA 950 certainly can. But not the mighty NVidia 8600M GT, which is apparently inferior in graphics processing capabilities to either of those. I'm a little miffed since this was the first Mac model where I actually had to pay for the remote, and it's also the first Mac model where I can't actually use said remote, because if I do, it's a near certainty that I'll be hard-rebooting the machine. It's enough to make me actually wish the machine had the integrated graphics that the regular MacBook has.

In all seriousness, the issue, as I understand it, is with NVidia's OS X drivers (and they do dump a ton of NVChannel garbage to system.log when they start acting up), so I'd expect they'd affect pretty much any NVidia GPU in a Mac.

I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to pay more for this albatross rather than just getting an ATI that actually works.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Apr 28, 2008 at 02:20 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 02:30 PM

I don't have any such lockup problems with my 2.33 GHz 7600GT Core2Duo iMac (3 GB RAM).

HAGEhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 03:31 PM

I'd be willing to guess that the 8800GS is a downclocked GT or something equivalent, any thoughts? Judging by the similar 2600 Pro situation from last gen, that's my best guess at this point.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 04:02 PM

Does anyone know if Apple has a "grace period" for students who buy a new computer before their summer free-iPod promotion? My G4 Powerbook is circling the drain right now and I need a new computer soon. Even if Apple doesn't have this "grace period" I'll have to spring for a new computer within the week.

Actually, I may head down to the Apple store today to pick up the new iMac. A new iPod would be nice, but my 4th generation iPod is still going strong
Dell 2408WFP

P
Apr 28, 2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by HAGEhead View Post
I'd be willing to guess that the 8800GS is a downclocked GT or something equivalent, any thoughts? Judging by the similar 2600 Pro situation from last gen, that's my best guess at this point.
Reading through the details of the spec sheets, I've noticed that the 8800M GTX is very similar to the (desktop) 8800 GS. Both are based on the G92, and both have 96 stream processors - 32 disabled from the full 128 used by GTS. Only difference is that the 8800M GTX uses the full 256 bit memory bus, while the 8800 GS has it cut down to 192 bit. It's probably that, only underclocked as per Apple's fancy.

P
Apr 28, 2008, 04:28 PM

In all seriousness, the issue, as I understand it, is with NVidia's OS X drivers (and they do dump a ton of NVChannel garbage to system.log when they start acting up), so I'd expect they'd affect pretty much any NVidia GPU in a Mac.

I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to pay more for this albatross rather than just getting an ATI that actually works.
Court documents showed that nVidia's drivers were the main source of crashes on Vista - bigger than MS itself. Apparently they've had problems getting the G8x chips to work under any OS. Any hardware bugs would have been fixed in the G92 stepping, though, so if the new 8800GTs are crashing, it has to be drivers. That is not the type of thing that either Apple nor nVidia is likely to let slide forever, so I'm fairly confident that they'll get around to fixing it. I'm seriously considering one now that the Swedish prices have dropped - just want to see the first benchmarks before I pull the trigger.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 05:21 PM

Electronista | 3GHz iMac's CPU overclocked, not next-gen

55 Watts at 3.06 GHz
Santa Rosa

For reference, the comparatively "loud" G5 970FX was 50 Watts "typical" at 2.5 GHz.

Chip designers power down latest creations | InfoWorld | News | 2004-02-16 | By Tom Krazit, IDG News Service

We don't know what "typical" means, but some have postulated that it may mean as high as 90+ Watts at max. However, there wasn't ever a 2.5 GHz G5 iMac. They topped out 2.1 GHz. The 2.0 GHz 970FX was 24.5 Watts max, which makes us wonder if it was closer to 50 Watts at absolute max.

ie. I'm just throwing out some random numbers, but what I'm wondering is if the 3.06 will be audibly louder than current iMacs. Cuz my G5 2.0 iMac wasn't exactly loud, but it was definitely audible at times. In contrast, my 2.33 GHz C2D iMac is dead silent.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 28, 2008 at 05:36 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I'm seriously considering one now that the Swedish prices have dropped - just want to see the first benchmarks before I pull the trigger.
You'll regret it - you have no idea how bad the crashing problem is. I can't even get Front Row to work without locking up - I can't imagine what it would be like trying to run some application that would actually be capable of giving a high-end GPU a workout.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 06:11 PM

You'll regret it - you have no idea how bad the crashing problem is. I can't even get Front Row to work without locking up - I can't imagine what it would be like trying to run some application that would actually be capable of giving a high-end GPU a workout.
Weird, because I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with 8600M GT and don't have any problems with it crashing at all. Front Row works like a charm. Granted, I bought my machine in June 2007, but still, no problems.

Haven't tried any games except The Sims 2 (which works fine as well), so I don't know if that stresses the system or not.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 06:23 PM

I just ordered my first Intel Mac, 3.06Ghz model with 4GB of RAM, dotMac, and AppleCare.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 06:23 PM

I can't use a computer with a glossy screen. A full size 24" ****ing glossy screen. I'll pass.

Also, if these machines aren't as silent as the 2GHz C2Ds well, I'll pass.

The GPUs are somewhat disappointing, but that's par with Apple.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 06:26 PM

Well, I just went to the Apple store and bought a 20" with the HD2600. With the student discount, I was able to get a free printer as well.

So far everything is smooth sailing. I really wish they would provide the mini-DVI adapter, but they didn't. I'll have to go back later tonight after my class to pick one up.

People have discussed how they didn't like the glossy screen and I must say, everything is vibrant and contrasty but my goodness! The glare is very annoying. Thank goodness I have a Dell 2408WFP to use as my main monitor!

Have a good one folks.
Dell 2408WFP

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 06:29 PM

Glare depends on the ambient lighting. At home, glare isn't usually a big problem, but in my office it can be quite bad.

If you find that glare is bothering your, you can consider setting up your lamps, etc. a bit differently, if possible.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 07:31 PM

My desk is setup in a particular way, so I don't want to do too much rearranging. The glare issue is only during the day time. I don't think my lamps will be an issue as they are placed behind the iMac and to the side of it. I'll know when the sun goes down

Overall, the iMac is running much more smoothly than my Powerbook. For that, I am grateful.
Dell 2408WFP

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 07:33 PM

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Weird, because I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with 8600M GT and don't have any problems with it crashing at all. Front Row works like a charm. Granted, I bought my machine in June 2007, but still, no problems.

Haven't tried any games except The Sims 2 (which works fine as well), so I don't know if that stresses the system or not.
Do your music tracks all have really short names? Try playing some tracks in Front Row that have long titles, so that the title scrolls in the display. Doing the 'flip' animation while the title is scrolling seems to be one of those things that's just oh so hard for the poor little GPU to handle, so that once it's been doing that for a few minutes, you get a lockup. You'll know it when the screen goes black - the music will of course keep playing, because it's not the whole computer that's locked up, just the UI. That won't be much of a consolation though, since you'll have to do the three-finger salute to get back to being able to do anything with your computer again.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 09:54 PM

Do your music tracks all have really short names? Try playing some tracks in Front Row that have long titles, so that the title scrolls in the display. Doing the 'flip' animation while the title is scrolling seems to be one of those things that's just oh so hard for the poor little GPU to handle, so that once it's been doing that for a few minutes, you get a lockup. You'll know it when the screen goes black - the music will of course keep playing, because it's not the whole computer that's locked up, just the UI. That won't be much of a consolation though, since you'll have to do the three-finger salute to get back to being able to do anything with your computer again.
I'll try it when I get home. Still at work.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 10:26 PM

Somehow I kinda doubt that Apple is introducing a new top-line iMac with a graphics chip that will constantly lock it up. I'm sure you're having a problem but to generalize it to the entire new top iMac is probably kinda over the top. I sure hope not anyway because I got a new 24" iMac 13 days ago and Apple let me sent it back today for a refund so I can get the new one instead! Very excited!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Somehow I kinda doubt that Apple is introducing a new top-line iMac with a graphics chip that will constantly lock it up. I'm sure you're having a problem but to generalize it to the entire new top iMac is probably kinda over the top. I sure hope not anyway because I got a new 24" iMac 13 days ago and Apple let me sent it back today for a refund so I can get the new one instead! Very excited!
Apple - Support - Discussions - Display freezing - NVChannel(GL): ...

NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel exception! - InsanelyMac Forum

Mason Mark (.com) - more Mac OS X 10.5 full system crashes

Graphics channel exception on Mac Pro w/ 8800GT - MacTalk Forums

Leopard 10.5.2 Freezes - Mac Forums

Clearly it's just me.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 06:21 AM

Thanks for telling me, you should tell Apple too! The are thinking of sending me a brand new computer with a brand new chip design that is certain to freeze up constantly because of the graphics card! And probably millions of other people too. (actually I wonder how many people actually do buy a 'generation' of iMac... how many do they sell)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

P
Apr 29, 2008, 08:41 AM

Hmm... Maybe I should wait a bit and see how bad the crashing issue is with the new iMacs, then.

mrtew: Apple sold 856'000 desktops last quarter. They no longer split the revenue onto different lines (presumably because that would show how badly the Mac Pro does...) but we know from past reports that the MBP and the iMac are Apple's two biggest sellers. Last quarter is the softest one - they average closer to a million - so call it 3.5 million desktops a year. More than half of these are iMacs. Say 2 generations per year, and you'd arrive at a figure of about 1 million iMacs per generation. Of course many generations are quite similar, like the current and the last.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 29, 2008, 11:37 AM

Hey Charles, I was just curious and I tried this on my new iMac (yesterday's release) and I didn't seem to have any issues, though I'm not sure if I am doing the test the right way.

I loaded up a play list in iTunes with song titles are are very song, and then opened up Front Row and played this playlist. I waited for each song to start scrolling before forwarding to the next track. Doing this, I had no issues.

I have the 20" iMac with the HD2600.
Dell 2408WFP

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2008, 11:42 AM

The HD2600 doesn't have the problem. It's only with nVidia GPUs apparently.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 11:49 AM

I have not been seeing any of the issues CharlesS reported on my MBP with its nVidia 8600M GT.

OTOH I can confirm that the nVidia drivers are filling up my system.log with all kinds of junk messages. Something my ATI drivers never did. In addition some screen wake after sleep issues were certainly linked to the nVidia drivers. Again something I had never experienced with ATI GPUs in my older MBPs or PBs.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 12:33 PM

I loaded up a play list in iTunes with song titles are are very song, and then opened up Front Row and played this playlist. I waited for each song to start scrolling before forwarding to the next track. Doing this, I had no issues.
Aside from the fact that your graphics card isn't an NVidia, this isn't what is needed to do to reproduce it. It's not as it forwards to the next track - you leave it on the same track. The issue is the "flip" animation it does when playing a track. At first, the album art is on the right side, and at some point, it flips over to the left side. Later on, it flips back. This is what causes it. It doesn't happen every time it flips, nor does it happen immediately - you have to have been listening for a while. So listening to a single song or something wouldn't do it, but if you try to listen to an entire album, and the track names in the album are all long, chances are, you'll get bit.

I have not been seeing any of the issues CharlesS reported on my MBP with its nVidia 8600M GT.

OTOH I can confirm that the nVidia drivers are filling up my system.log with all kinds of junk messages. Something my ATI drivers never did. In addition some screen wake after sleep issues were certainly linked to the nVidia drivers. Again something I had never experienced with ATI GPUs in my older MBPs or PBs.
Do the logs start with the kernel dumping some hex data, and then a bunch of "kernel[0]: NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel timeout!" and "kernel[0]: NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel exception!" type stuff? Because if so, you're getting the bug - you just haven't let Front Row run long enough. Let it keep on playing - try listen to a whole album that has long tracks. If you manage to get through the album, you've got better luck than I do. Eventually, the GPU will just give up and you'll get the lockup. To me, it usually happens less than 10 minutes in, but sometimes it takes longer.

I should have mentioned that this problem occurs in 10.5.2 with the Leopard Graphics Update. If you're running Tiger or something, you probably won't see it, as the dodgy drivers showed up, as I understand it, with the LGU.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 29, 2008, 02:19 PM

Ahh I see. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

It's been a day and so far everything is smooth sailing
Dell 2408WFP

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 04:34 PM

I have never experience any weirdness on my MBP with a 256MB GeForce 8600M GT. Will see how it goes on my new iMac later this week.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 09:59 PM

Does anyone know if Apple has a "grace period" for students who buy a new computer before their summer free-iPod promotion? My G4 Powerbook is circling the drain right now and I need a new computer soon. Even if Apple doesn't have this "grace period" I'll have to spring for a new computer within the week.

Actually, I may head down to the Apple store today to pick up the new iMac. A new iPod would be nice, but my 4th generation iPod is still going strong
There is no grace period, and there is no guarantee that they're going to do a summer i-Pod promotion. The reason they did one last year was because of the new video Nano announcement; they offered the non-video Nano as a way to clear inventory of an end-of-life model.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2008, 10:22 AM

Apple iMac 3.06GHz unboxing, hands-on, and benchmarking - Engadget

There are the Engadget speed test results. Actually, it's pretty impressive... although I wish they had included a 2.8 Extreme vs. the 2.4. It is quite a bit faster than my MBP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules