Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Factor 5 says bye bye to the GameCube

Factor 5 says bye bye to the GameCube
Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 12:09 AM

Even though Factor 5 helped develop the GameCube, had a couple wicked games like Rouge Squadron on N64 and at the GameCube launch they have now bailed on the GameCube.

Why?
My guess is because the last Rouge SUCKED horribly.
They see more money in PS2 as it has a much larger market
They want to be first for the PSP
They have given up on the GameCube and are developing for the next Nintendo system.

This is rather interesting considering the close relationship they had with Nintendo and that Rouge was one of the reasons to get a GameCube at launch.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/506/506508p1.html
( Last edited by Vader�s Pinch of Death; Apr 15, 2004 at 12:16 AM. )

"If it's broke, you choke."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 12:14 AM

Nintendo is killing themselves by being kids only... They need to ease up and let anyone create anything...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 12:14 AM

Don't forget to mention that Nintendo and Silicon Knight (maker of Eternal Darkness and MGS: TTS) recently splited.

Truly a sad news for Nintendo fans

BTW, I'm wondering what will happen with PilotWing? Nintendo and Factor 5 cut a deal several months ago to let Factor 5 develop next PilotWing game. Hope it won't crash and burn.

Vader�s Pinch of Death  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Nintendo is killing themselves by being kids only... They need to ease up and let anyone create anything...
The GameCube was supposed to be that system with Resident Evil and all. So what went wrong with the GameCube as the only good games are still coming from Nintendo themselves.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
Why?
My guess is because the last Rouge SUCKED horribly.
They see more money in PS2 as it has a much larger market
They want to be first for the PSP
They have given up on the GameCube and are developing for the next Nintendo system.
A quote from GameSpot:

However, Eggebrecht was quick to dispel any "doom" that might surround Factor 5's announcement. Echoing Silicon Knights founder Denis Dyack, he emphasized his enthusiasm for Nintendo's future console efforts. "We are extremely excited about both DS and GCNext, so any talk of us abandoning Nintendo platforms altogether is just not true," he told GameSpot.

According to Eggebrecht, the only reason Factor 5 has stopped making GameCube games was that they've abandoned current-generation hardware altogether. "It is simply because we have moved into next-generation development," he said.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 12:35 AM

At least there will be four-player in Metroid Prime 2. (lol)

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 12:36 AM

"next generation hardware" being the xbox and PS2?!
Aloha

Arty50
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 12:37 AM

You wanna know what really hurt the GC, those stupid mini DVDs. It's been a huge selling point for the PS2 and XBox. In fact, when the PS2 was released in Japan a ton of people bought them only to play DVDs since they were still cheaper than most DVD players in that country. Nintendo f'd up bigtime on this.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
At least there will be four-player in Metroid Prime 2. (lol)
Here's pic for Metroid Prime 2 (very poor quality due to them being scanned at low resolution)

Several more scanshots can be found at Cube Europe

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Arty50:
You wanna know what really hurt the GC, those stupid mini DVDs. It's been a huge selling point for the PS2 and XBox. In fact, when the PS2 was released in Japan a ton of people bought them only to play DVDs since they were still cheaper than most DVD players in that country. Nintendo f'd up bigtime on this.
True. The ONLY reason for the Mini DVD's was to prevent piracy. Nintendo has lost more sales because people want a DVD player then they would have to pirates.

I HATE the Mini DVD's because the cut scenes are totally pathetic in most of the games next to the ones you see on a PS2.

Zelda was severely hurt buy the fact that all the characters had text subtitles and no voices. I spent more time mashing the button to scroll the text then I ever did using it to play the game.

Watch the cut scenes in Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank. They are fun and rich in sound effects and voice acting.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Link:
"next generation hardware" being the xbox and PS2?!
Calm down psycho.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 12:54 AM

Awesome Prime 2 shots. Thanks.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 12:56 AM

Upcoming GameCube Games...

Click for bigger image

Click for bigger image

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 12:58 AM

My imagination or you got the two mixed up?!

w00t winwaker 2
Aloha

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 12:59 AM

4 player in Metroid?! Who cares.

Nothing new plus you can do this in any other number of games for the past 10 years.

Other then that I can't wait for that sucker!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 01:23 AM

BTW, if you hardcore gamers want something to look forward to, wait till May 12 for E3 Expo. All info about next generation consoles, Nintendo DS, mystery add-ons for GC, top-secret games, etc will be announced/displayed there.

I can't wait for movies of some GC and XBOX games in action I'll be sure to host them for people here who doesn't have membership to IGN.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 01:29 AM

All I am looking for is:
Zelda 2
Metroid 2
Pikmen 2
The Sony PSP

I could care less about:
Nintendo DS

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
All I am looking for is:
Pikmen 2
You wish it were Pikmen! (OMG, I LAWL MYSELF UP!)

Anyway, I'm also looking forward to the ones you listed, in addition to the 30 (reportedly) DS games they'll show. Geist, more Star Fox screens, TimeSplitters 3, all that good stuff. I'd also like to see what the Rare boys are up to, if they've got anything new besides Conker going (maybe some shot of Perfect Dark 2?).

Most excited about seeing the DS, though, and what it will be able to do.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 01:40 AM

I'd also like to see what the Rare boys are up to, if they've got anything new besides Conker going (maybe some shot of Perfect Dark 2?).
Did you buy an xbox yet or is it still "Nintendo and nothing else"?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 01:48 AM

I've never had the "Nintendo and nothing else" stance. I've never seen a compelling enough game that gave me the desire to buy either of the other consoles, especially since my friends have them.

Perfect Dark 2 might make me look twice at an Xbox, though. Halo 2 almost has me ready to plunk down, but I think I'm spoilt with PC controls for Halo. And I might as well wait for PS3, now. Screw getting a PS2. We'll see how the next gen. games are.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 01:51 AM

I've never had the "Nintendo and nothing else" stance. I've never seen a compelling enough game that gave me the desire to buy either of the other consoles, especially since my friends have them.

Perfect Dark 2 might make me look twice at an Xbox, though. Halo 2 almost has me ready to plunk down, but I think I'm spoilt with PC controls for Halo. And I might as well wait for PS3, now. Screw getting a PS2. We'll see how the next gen. games are.
The damn things are all so cheap you really should have all 3. You would really like a PS2 I am sure as Ratchet and Clank 1 &2 and Jak and Daxter 1 & 2 are worth the system alone.

Halo is overrated like no tomorrow but the x Does have some AWESOME other games.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 01:52 AM

Pikman is cool. Apple and nintendo should team up to create the ultimate gaming device since apple knows the fad market
Aloha

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 02:57 AM

Thats truely sad. First Rare, then Silicon Knights and now Factor 5.This is truely depressing and extremely frustrating since the cube has so much potential... both in terms of capabilities and market size. Both Silicon Knights and factor 5 have developed awesoem games for the Cube, i own both Eternal darkness and Rogue Leader(which is why i baught the cube in the first place). i plan on buying Rebel Strike shortly as well. But i think they have made a great contribution to the G library with some awesome titles.
Is it just me or did one of the images posted above with future GameCube itles have Rogue Squadron IV on it ? i wonder whos developing that. Also Nintendo needs to court developers the way Apple has been doing.

As far as game sales go, it's kinda disappointing across the board in my opinion. Prince of persia Sands of Time from UbiSoft looks and feels amazing, but hasnt done too well, despite the promotions and reviews for all platforms. i find that really surprising, as it had everything going for it. I wonder whats going on in the Gaming world. it could be that the gaming market has become very saturated what with 3 consoles and tonns of games, and ppl cant afford to keep buying games as they come out. Gamers have become more selective.... i know i have.

Cheers.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
it could be that the gaming market has become very saturated what with 3 consoles and tonns of games, and ppl cant afford to keep buying games as they come out. Gamers have become more selective.... i know i have.

Cheers.
I don't know about that. The N64 was a huge bomb whe the PS2 was the only other one on the market. Nintendo screwed up large with the N64 and they said they would fix things with the GC, it seems they just repeated many of the mistakes though.

OH-N'omac
Apr 15, 2004, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
True. The ONLY reason for the Mini DVD's was to prevent piracy. Nintendo has lost more sales because people want a DVD player then they would have to pirates.
Even that was a failure, the GC is the only system of the big 3 that can be used to play pirated games using items locally available to most consumers. No mod chip or fancy burners required, just (Edit: Those who don't already know can google for it)...

The GC was Nintrndo's second miss in a row in the console world. So many of the problems with the N64 were repeated with the GC, it's pathetic. They are fortunate to have such a strong grip on the portable market, without it they might have to pull a Sega.
( Last edited by OH-N'omac; Apr 15, 2004 at 07:36 AM. )

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 07:20 AM

I can't wait to get Paper Mario 2. That's going to be great.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 07:48 AM

Those games look bad! Burnout 3 I cant wait to get them!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
I can't wait to get Paper Mario 2. That's going to be great.
Isn't that a RPG for kids?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2004, 11:36 AM

Isn't that a RPG for kids?
No, but its PPLQ (Perceived... um... Personal Length Quotient) is low enough that sexually-insexure gamers will complain about it not being a Manly Game like Halo or DoA: Extreme Beach Volleyball.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:
The GC was Nintrndo's second miss in a row in the console world. So many of the problems with the N64 were repeated with the GC, it's pathetic.
Wasn't it the third miss in a row in the console world? The Virtual Boy can't really be defined as portable. Virtual Boy -> N64 -> GC.

It is pathetic that so many mistakes were repeated. It is pathetic that they are losing so many good developers. It is pathetic that they lack a decent online plan.

I'm looking forward to Metroid", and that's about it. Hopefully Factor 5 will stop doing Star Wars games, and start doing something more original.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
No, but its PPLQ (Perceived... um... Personal Length Quotient) is low enough that sexually-insexure gamers will complain about it not being a Manly Game like Halo or DoA: Extreme Beach Volleyball.
Well it is not about that. Pikman is kiddy looking but it is more for adults.

I just heard paper Mario was really easy.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
Hopefully Factor 5 will stop doing Star Wars games, and start doing something more original.
More likely not.. Check the screenshot at middle:

http://www.cube-europe.com/newsgfx/e32004excl2.jpg

"Rogue Squadron IV: New Rebellion"

They haven't shown us a truly fun game yet so I'm not holding my breath for them. All of their games have been "Technology Interactive"

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 01:38 PM

I just heard paper Mario was really easy.
Good for you. Don't play it then and let me enjoy it.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2004, 01:56 PM

The thing is, Graphics is a big part og PPLQ. It's one of the Big Three: Graphics (gritty and photorealistic -> higher PPLQ), Guns (or other forms of violence, more quantity or quality -> higher PPLQ), and Girls (less clothing -> higher PPLQ).

Pikmin scores quite low on all three of these, with cartoony graphics, very little violence, and basically no females at all, much less actual sexual content. In the face of these, gameplay hardly matters to the average gamer today, which is an incredibly sad state of affairs, but that's how it goes.

Nintendo's problem is that good games don't sell a console anymore. Sex and violence sell consoles.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 02:01 PM

Sex and violence sell consoles.
That's cuz those 2 things are fun.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

OH-N'omac
Apr 15, 2004, 02:31 PM

The thing is, Graphics is a big part og PPLQ. It's one of the Big Three: Graphics (gritty and photorealistic -> higher PPLQ), Guns (or other forms of violence, more quantity or quality -> higher PPLQ), and Girls (less clothing -> higher PPLQ).

Pikmin scores quite low on all three of these, with cartoony graphics, very little violence, and basically no females at all, much less actual sexual content. In the face of these, gameplay hardly matters to the average gamer today, which is an incredibly sad state of affairs, but that's how it goes.

Nintendo's problem is that good games don't sell a console anymore. Sex and violence sell consoles.
What is a "good game" is as subjective as what is a good song, or what is beauty. Personally, I think the PPLQ arguement doesn't apply to enough gamers to explain Nintendo's failure. You could argue that Nintendo failed because it lacked traditional RPGs just as easily.

Games (and marketing) sell consoles. The GC, while having a unique library and some very good games, quickly fell behind the PS2 when it comes to the variety of games and generes available. PPLQ-attractive games are part of what is missing from the GC library, but they are only one missing piece out of many.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 02:48 PM

Wheres my Conker Live and Uncut?!?

-Owl

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Wheres my Conker Live and Uncut?!?

-Owl
XBOX only by the end of the year I think.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Forum Links
Forum Rules