Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BlacBook may have flaking problems with its matte black finish (Pic!)

BlacBook may have flaking problems with its matte black finish (Pic!)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 17, 2006, 08:52 PM

The MacBook Black is flakey?

The white model basically looks like an iBook, just widescreen’d—nothing too exciting. The black model, though, is really impressive. When it was closed, it looked almost like a black PowerBook. It has a black matte finishing all around. No glossy iPod-like finishing to attract and collect scratches. The plastic did, however, have a multitude of customer fingerprints–I could just about identify every customer that touched the unit. Considering how many people have probably played with this during the day, though, this probably isn’t anything to worry about.

But, as I stood in admiration, wondering how much I could sell my Pro for, a customer decided to try scratching the lid with his fingernail. Much to my dismay and horror, as well as to the Apple Reps., pieces of a plastic coating on the lid began to flake off… What’s going on here? (EDIT: not a crazy ninja-claw scratch. More like “I’m trying to remove this fingerprint from my computer and accidentally made contact with my fingernail” kind of scratch). The coating reminded me of the kind of protective plastic cover that watches come with as protection from scratching, except… I don’t think this one is supposed to come off. The sales representatives just smoothed off and pretended like nothing happened.

At this point, all my ideas and longing for the new computer flew out the window, Superman-style. I can already see customers coming in for technical help at work, with a noticeable layer of the plastic coat missing from a portion of the computer, like someone got tired of peeling an onion halfway through.

I will definitely hold off on any spontaneous Apple purchases for a while. After the heat and the whine of my MacBook Pro, and the weird flaky skin on the new MacBooks, I am content to let others find the bugs for me before I relinquish control of my wallet to Apple again. No use purchasing another machine that has the potential of mutating any future children I might have, or depositing weird computer dandruff on my workspace.

Oh, and did I mention it also produces a very familiar electronic whine?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 08:57 PM

NOT sexy.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 09:17 PM

It seems I might
Have chosen the right
Colour for the light
MacBook iSight

It could have been as dark as night
But this 'Book is as bright as daylight
I don't have to deal with this flaking shite
Because I chose to have my MacBook white!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 09:33 PM

Yet another reason to get the white one.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 09:39 PM

As I said in a related thread, I saw "wear" much more apparent in the black finish MacBook. Apparently, it gets worse than that. More cost and finish problems.... I don't really see any reason why I would want a black finish MacBook. I'm definitely staying away from this one. White it is.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 17, 2006, 10:08 PM

Seems like Apple's gonna have to adjust their margin on the BlackBook...negatively. I'm now thinking the BlackBook should be 1099$ and the WhiteBook should be 1299$+.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 10:19 PM

Too bad, b/c I was really trying to get myself to like the matte finish, but I couldn't. If this is true then there is no way that I'm getting a blackmac

edit: this wouldnt be the first time apple has made this blunder. My TiBook had some seriously flaky paint, unacceptable.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; May 17, 2006 at 10:31 PM. )

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 10:23 PM

I hope this is just a fairly isolated event.

I have other devices with a matte black finish and they don't scratch like that.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 11:24 PM

I saw one today and you could see the paint damage - I would have thought that after all those years with the TIs, they would have learned about paint!

masugu
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 11:56 PM

Hmm... The Pismo / Lombards never had this issue - right?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 12:10 AM

The only thing they might have had was the rubberized part in the middle getting worn off. But the plastic itself was fine. I still find it hard to believe that the MacBook's finish is damaged that easily. Maybe it wasn't a production model or something? Or was the stuff that rubbed off actually dirt from being handled? I don't know.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 12:17 AM

I'm gonna have to try a little scrapey-scrapey when I finally get my ass to an Apple Store to gawk at the new 'Books. From pictures, I'd heretofore thought they both look great.

I wonder if Apple Store employees will be watching visitors like hawks now, trying to prevent them from determining whether this is a widespread problem. I imagine I'm not the only one planning on testing this on some floor models..

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 12:23 AM

well, the op seems to imply you could test this simply by rubbing your finger along the finish and pushing your nail onto it, casual like, just a little. you don't need a screwdriver.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 12:30 AM

Yeah, that's why I conjectured they'd be watching like hawks, not like, um, things that don't see so good.

masugu
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 12:39 AM

Maybe the scratched demo books will go on sale

Seriously, I need to go to a store and look c l o s e l y at the BlacBook. I got lucky with my Ti PB. No paint peeling. I want to stay "lucky."

Jazzjackrabbit86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 01:38 AM

Tried the scraching trick earlier in an Apple store, and didn't get any flakes

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 02:19 AM

Assuming this story is true, how could Apple screw this up? How long have manufacturers been making black laptops? Seriously, this sort of thing shouldn't happen anymore.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Assuming this story is true, how could Apple screw this up? How long have manufacturers been making black laptops? Seriously, this sort of thing shouldn't happen anymore.
Originally Posted by sixsept
Tried the scraching trick earlier in an Apple store, and didn't get any flakes
Yep. I'm ready to believe this is an isolated incident. If just brushing over it with your nail would make something flake off, Apple's QC/QA would have detected it before shipping. Are the store demo models from the pre-production runs or are they the same build rev that you buy?

TiDual
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 05:58 AM

I also suspect this is isolated, or we'd be hearing about it more. I'm ordering the BlackBook today! If flaking is really as bad as suggested, it'll be easy enough to return it anyway.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 07:24 AM

hrm the black definitely looks sexy if it's matte...but i have to say with regards to the ibook i was always more of a switch kind of guy vs apoch.

freshyill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 07:54 AM

I had a Pismo, and that thing could take a licking and keep on ticking. Over the years, it picked up a few minor scuffs because it had a "rubberized" coating on parts of the exterior, but they were all extremely minor. It was an incredibly durable laptop, and still pretty sexy even by today's standards.

I ordered it the night it was announced at the expo in Japan in February, 2000 and it just finally died last month. It died running Tiger, and running it well. Try running a PC laptop from that time with Windows XP.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 07:59 AM

I dunno... we heard this about nano scratches at first, and the TI paint problems lasted for years. I hoped that they were going to use black plastics, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 08:14 AM

yeah that whole doubleshot w/ rubber thing was awesome, those clambooks were indestructable.

TiDual
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by freshyill
I had a Pismo, and that thing could take a licking and keep on ticking. Over the years, it picked up a few minor scuffs because it had a "rubberized" coating on parts of the exterior, but they were all extremely minor. It was an incredibly durable laptop, and still pretty sexy even by today's standards.

I ordered it the night it was announced at the expo in Japan in February, 2000 and it just finally died last month. It died running Tiger, and running it well. Try running a PC laptop from that time with Windows XP.
I also had a pismo from around Feb 2000, that died about 4 months ago, running tiger. Great machines. The dual battery option was simply wonderful: plenty for a full transatlantic flight!

I hope my new BlackBook lives up to its promise ...

The Pismo is dead! Long live the Pismo!

masugu
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 08:56 AM

my Pismo won't start up! Been dormant for about a year...any suggestions? Was still running os 9. Not sur what could have happened!

TiDual
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 09:00 AM

no suggestions ... I thought my problem was the HD, but it wasn't ... mine just goes to the white/grey bootscreen, and never any further.

Pismo, R.I.P.

freshyill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 09:05 AM

I think that's how mine finally died. My sister has had it for the past year or so, but I can ask, just to be sure.

Originally Posted by masugu
my Pismo won't start up! Been dormant for about a year...any suggestions? Was still running os 9. Not sur what could have happened!

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 09:16 AM

I think that all these cases that are being listed here on the board are rare instances.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 09:25 AM

My Lombard is still alive running Panther, but I have been using it less and less (once every few days). I've been thinking of selling it for years, but I just can't part with it. I may be able to once I see a black Macbook .

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
I think that all these cases that are being listed here on the board are rare instances.
The TiBook flaking thing mentioned here lasted throughout the lifetime of the TiBook and was not that uncommon. I didn't have it except in areas I know I scratched, but then again I babied my TiBook.

The BlacBook flaking thing could be isolated though. We dunno yet. It's too early to tell.

freshyill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 09:56 AM

Checked with my sister... it doesn't turn on at all. Could be related to the power supply/battery, but hard to say.

$2349 (student price) x 6% sales tax / 6 years = $414.99 per year of computing. Not too shabby.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 10:16 AM

Ya seriously, my TiBook's paint scratched of on the front side, where my wrists made contact, on towards the back where my fingernail would scratch off a little paint every time I would plug in the power cord.

So this blacbook scratching problem is totally plausible.

bolero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 03:04 PM

mine is starting to flake off as well...

it's happening on the corners, where it's most easily scratched etc. the paint is very easy to flake off.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:28 PM

Pics?

masugu
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Pics?

Pics of Ti Flaking??? Getting nostalgic ???

I recall - not so fondly - seeing photos when I got my Ti PB 1GHz...Mine never flaked, but then again, I babied mine as well. Leather key cover and everything...

Now bring on the BlacBook!!!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 04:18 PM

Most black PC's are just black plastic. Apple seems to use some sort of paint.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 04:20 PM

Of course not.

Pics of the darn black MB with peeling paint.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 04:23 PM

I recall - not so fondly - seeing photos when I got my Ti PB 1GHz...Mine never flaked, but then again, I babied mine as well. Leather key cover and everything...

Now bring on the BlacBook!!!
I think they'd pretty much resolved the flaking problem across the board by the time that last generation of TiBooks came out (I've got one too, and it's battered but still going). I think I'm gonna go try the scratch test in Ardmore today. Have there been many other reports of flaking besides the one Eug quoted?

ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 09:03 PM

I was just at the apple store and tried pretty hard to get any type of scratch on it, and I got nothing. I probably tried 7 or 8 times in different places and nothing at all happened. so I think this has gotta be some unique situation. nothing to worry about at all, Im gonna pick one up for sure!

Duracell
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 09:18 PM

I don't understand, why not just use black plastic?
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 09:23 PM

I think they did.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ryanhugh
I was just at the apple store and tried pretty hard to get any type of scratch on it, and I got nothing. I probably tried 7 or 8 times in different places and nothing at all happened. so I think this has gotta be some unique situation. nothing to worry about at all, Im gonna pick one up for sure!

You made my day, ever since seeing this posted I couldn't stop thinking of getting my blackflakebook... hopefully it was isolated, my ship date originally was may 25th and got shipment notification this AM.

Cheers-- for now

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 09:47 PM

I can't see crap in that photo.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 02:27 AM

So, it's been more than 24h since that photo and the alleged 'problem' popped up. Since I haven't seen any evidence that this has been reproduced (no new photos, etc.), I'm going to assume this was a single isolated event. I'm anxious for my BlackBook to arrive.

iMacfan
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 09:52 AM

Hi everyone - flame me if this point is too obvious - but maybe this is a case of peeling instead of flaking. Just like you can only peel a price sticker off from the edge, have you guys who have tested this concentrated on the edge of a panel, just like the pic at the start of the thread?

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 10:05 AM

Hmm..make me think about getting a white, still wish the black was glossy, at least some scratches can be buffed out, but I baby my laptops so I'm sure others would complain.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
Hi everyone - flame me if this point is too obvious - but maybe this is a case of peeling instead of flaking. Just like you can only peel a price sticker off from the edge, have you guys who have tested this concentrated on the edge of a panel, just like the pic at the start of the thread?

David
yep I tried to scracth it in the same exact area in the pic, I got nothing. I rubbed, scratched all of it right along that edge....it held up like a champ! I really think these are fine guys. like someone eles said, we've only seen this one set of pics so far.

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 10:11 AM

I find this whole thing kind of hard to believe. I mean, not that its a huge hoax or anything, but this entire thread cna only produce one photo and one, maybe two other occasions where this happened.

I guess I'll be finding out for myself, I ordered the black as well.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Draco
May 19, 2006, 10:28 AM

I think this claim is just an isolated incident. I got my Blackbook yesterday and the finish seems quite durable. Chill out people, there are always going to be a few lemons out there.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2006, 10:50 AM

Can anyone clarify whether this the matte finish is painted on, or if it's solid black plastic?

Forum Links
Forum Rules