Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Is my HD Toast? (sorta long)

Is my HD Toast? (sorta long)
MAGNETO
May 21, 2000, 01:56 AM

Hi fellow mac useres,

I have a prob, on one of my older machines a PM6100/66, I ran Norton DD on it and it said I had unrecoverable problems , so I re-installed the system and did the usual stuff and it went away, then I started having all sorts of error (ESP Type2) {im running 7.6.1 BTW} , so I ran DD again and this time it check the problems anf fixed it, Sooo after that I rand Speed disk to check my frag and I see a whole lot of black spot on the drive (color image) marked " ? " and some are marked " ? orphan 8565865" and yadda yadda yadda, and I keep noticeing my drive space flucutuated, At first I didn't notice it becasue I was running VM alot, But I seem to lose space quite ab bit esp after a crash, like if im dling a MP3, it'll lock up hard, I'll reboot, the MP3 will be not visible anywhere on the drive, but I lost like a couple megs. It's very stange and troubling, I ran disinfectant it crashed a couple of thime then checked out ok. I've re-installed 7.6.1 but it keeps coming back... Esp the "?" mystery frags on my disk. Are there jsut possibly bad segments (permanent on my disk ) or could this be something else... ALso the type 2 error are driving me bonkers, I've owned this machine since like 95 been runnig sevensix for a while but it has never been this bad!!!!Please help???

MAGNETO

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 21, 2000, 02:20 AM

well yes you have bad blocks, i'd say

and usually Norton can fix these but someone else recently had an issue with bad blocks and they were 'fixed' by Norton but came back... problem was fixed (at least for now) by reinitializing the HD

if you have not initialized your HD in a while, i'd do so now and use the 'zero data' option

also, have you heard of DiskWarrior? not that it will fix this issue but it is a great HD util: www.alsoft.com

oh, and this post belongs in older macs and clones forum... transferring this post there

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-21-2000).]

park74
May 25, 2000, 04:15 PM

I've heard a lot of talk about "fixing" bad blocks on drives lately. Truth is, you can ignore them but if they are in commonly used spaces on your disk and the problem is caused by physical damage the problem is probaby just going to come back. Some of these bad blocks are caused by physical damage to the platters in the disk. I would try formatting etc as recommend above, but that's a pretty old drive, it might just be time to give it some permanent rest.

MAGNETO
May 28, 2000, 09:54 PM

Yeah, I prolly figured that. It just threw up a ? sad mac 000000f00000d code. (system prob) I ran Norton again but, I'm sick of these problems, thing is I'm gonna give my mom this computer, just as an internet/e-mail box. I need it to be reliable. So I'm just gonna have to buy a new (or used) SCSI HD. Oh yeah, I think I'm pretty sure the HD toast because It started like griding and vibrating (causing the desk to shake almost) yesterday a couple times . I can't imigaine that'd be a good sign. Oh well thanks and I'll give Disk warrior a try. (for the new disk). L8ta

MAGNETO

g4-guy
Jun 13, 2000, 12:38 PM

If you need a new SCSI HD, check out eBay. I bought a 2GB HD for my 6100 for about $70. You need to make sure it's a low profile, 3.5 inch drive. The 6100 does not support Ultra SCSI. See this web site for more info.
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD
Combo Drive, Airport Card

Forum Links
Forum Rules