Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Using Icons: legal issues

Using Icons: legal issues
macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2002, 04:48 PM

I was wondering what the legal issues are about using other programs icons/images? My first guess is that it is illegal, but then I see, for example, programs which use the delete icon and pencil icon from Mail. I have noticed other programs with what appear to be identical icons.

If it is illegal, does changing a few pixels constitute enough change to make it legal?

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 05:19 PM

I'd suspect that if you are using the same OS then it is a kind of interface standard and you need not use it. Assuming that it is supplied by the OS. However using say Apple's icons on Windows would be a no-no. So would be copying icons from an other company's application. However I suspect most people would be accomodating if you call them.

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 07:05 PM

Check out Apple's stance.

The same page also has some nice icon templates that you can use to design your own.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules