Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 103)
starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 01:46 PM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 01:52 PM

Well looks like Mario Cart is going to be another really save/non-inovative game for the Wii. Once again the motion controls just make it "different" not better.

Also, Nintendo should have spent more time on fixing the rubber banding AI that has been there since the first Mario Cart 20 years ago rather than adding moterbikes that act the same as cars.

"A few issues do persist, though, some more frustrating than others. First of all, I am still not at all convinced that playing the game with the Wii Wheel adds anything to the experience. It improves upon playing with the standalone Wii remote if only because you will be more comfortable turning a wheel than a peripheral shaped like a television remote, but that's really about it. And truthfully, I feel like I'm at a disadvantage when I play Kart with motion controls because every so often I will take a turn incorrectly, not because I made the wrong motion, but because the Wii remote did not translate my motion correctly."

IGN: Mario Kart Wii Review

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 01:54 PM

"The average Wii owner buys only 3.7 games a year, compared with 4.7 for Xbox 360 owners and 4.6 for PlayStation 3 owners, said a Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter. “It reflects the broadening of the demographic,” he said. “Nintendo’s market doesn’t feel the same sense of urgency to buy every game that’s coming out.”

My lord that is terrible! 20 million systems out there and most people stick with Wii Sports and Brain age.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/21/te...ss&oref=slogin

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 03:55 PM

But it's profitable!
It's innovative!
It's....dusty.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
But it's profitable!
It's innovative!
It's....dusty.
Ha ha. Good one

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
"The average Wii owner buys only 3.7 games a year, compared with 4.7 for Xbox 360 owners and 4.6 for PlayStation 3 owners, said a Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter. “It reflects the broadening of the demographic,” he said. “Nintendo’s market doesn’t feel the same sense of urgency to buy every game that’s coming out.”

My lord that is terrible! 20 million systems out there and most people stick with Wii Sports and Brain age.

That's hilarious. If true, that means that the Wii is totally spanking both the 360 and the PS3 in software sales on average. ie. Neither the 360 nor the PS3 are even in the same league.

To put it another way... with these US numbers for March:

Summary (March 2008 US sales):

Wii: 721000
DS: 698000
PSP: 297000
360: 262000
PS3: 257000
PS2: 216000

That means Nintendo will sell more software from these March Wiis than Microsoft and Sony will sell from the 360 and PS3 combined.

Wii software: 721000 x 3.7 = 2.67 million games
360 software: 262000 x 4.7 = 1.23 million games
PS3 software: 257000 x 4.6 = 1.18 million games

In other words, the fanboy claim that the Wii doesn't move software is utter bull.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 21, 2008 at 11:53 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 11:40 PM

Eug, shhhh..they'll call you a witch doctor for doing that sort of magic with numbers. save yourself

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
In other words, the fanboy claim that the Wii doesn't move software is utter bull.
Oh like that story says it moves the software, just not many games which is the whole point. Also 3rd party is a risky business as always for Nintendo.

I mean look a the big sellers.... all Nintendo titles.

Theodour
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2008, 02:17 AM

I was going to buy a wii for the family. However, they've been out of stock at all the places I shop for the months I tried to get one. So I bought a PS3--my reasoning was that it had motion controls as well.

Cons: Not many kids games--in fact, a lot fewer games in general than the other platforms, it seems.

Pros: It is so much more than I thought it would be. The whole media center thing is pretty cool, decent web browser for watching youtube on TV (don't use it for anything else), and the motion controls really are cool. I love it for steering in Motorstorm, and my kids like it for casting spells in Harry Potter. (It is useless for steering in Sega Rally Revo, though. Plus, you can't use both conrollers with motion control at the same time in split screen for Sega Rally Revo either. Wierd. I plan on getting a Driving Force Pro anyway, so whatever.)

I like the mouse/keyboard style FPS controls, which I've been using since Marathon, so it took some getting use to the gamepad for FPS, and I'll probably never fully like it. I DO like being able to kick back on the couch and play Call of Duty from across the room, though.

Anyway, I'm glad the Wii was out of stock, 'cause I would definitly have bought it, and never known how cool the PS3 is.

Someday, I'll get my kids a Wii, though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 08:29 AM

That's hilarious. If true, that means that the Wii is totally spanking both the 360 and the PS3 in software sales on average. ie. Neither the 360 nor the PS3 are even in the same league.

To put it another way... with these US numbers for March:

Summary (March 2008 US sales):

Wii: 721000
DS: 698000
PSP: 297000
360: 262000
PS3: 257000
PS2: 216000

That means Nintendo will sell more software from these March Wiis than Microsoft and Sony will sell from the 360 and PS3 combined.

Wii software: 721000 x 3.7 = 2.67 million games
360 software: 262000 x 4.7 = 1.23 million games
PS3 software: 257000 x 4.6 = 1.18 million games

Dude, stop. you're going to work yourself into utter disappointment.

I have three words for you:

Grand
Theft
Auto

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 08:31 AM

Never heard of it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 08:32 AM

It's a Wii game, but you have to actually clock people with your Wiimote. Gonna be big.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 08:34 AM

I'm sorry, let me try again.

Never heard of it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 08:56 AM

I think your sense of humor detector is broken.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 08:59 AM

No, I find your trying to piggy back a joke on my dry humor annoying.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 09:04 AM

Bring it, tough guy. One week from today.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 09:07 AM

:d.

Edit: **** no caps

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 12:38 PM

Actually the claim is that it doesn't move third party titles that is why so many are scared to develope for Nintendo. Nintendo fans just want Nintendo games even if it is just once or twice a year.

I mean look at the upcoming Mario Cart. it is teh same game as it was 20 years ago with 16 of the 32 levels being from the older games remastered but the Nintendo fans will make it the biggest seller since the last Nintendo game.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 01:50 PM

Brawl is a perfect example. How has it really evolved? You can't even look at your trophies in the Wii version.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 03:30 PM

OK. So now that the Wii-doesn't-move-software!!!11 myth has been debunked, the goalposts have now been moved.

"Yeah OK the Wii does move titles, but I don't like them!"

Nintendo fans just want Nintendo games even if it is just once or twice a year.
Or 3.6 times a year according to your link, which is 21-22% less games per console... noting of course that the worldwide installed base of consoles is over twice as much for the Wii as compared to the PS3, and a third more for the Wii compared to the 360.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 03:39 PM

The problem is those numbers are HORRIBLY skewed because of Wii Play and Wii Sports. Wii Play is a $10 game you get for buying an extra controller. It is essentially a group of demos, same as Wii Sports. But companies track those as software sales instead of hardware sales.

Take those games out and I guarantee the attach rate for the Wii drops like lead (considering they're the two highest selling games for the system).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 05:12 PM

How can Wii Sports be included in software sales if it's bundled with the system? As far as I know you can't buy a Wii without getting Wii Sports. Please try again.

As you can see from this list:
List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bundled games are naturally the "best selling" game for any system (if it has been bundled with a system for a period of time). No surprise there, is it?

Let's compare some numbers though:

Top 3 for Xbox 360:
Halo 3 (8.1 million)
Gears of War (4.5 million)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (3.118 million approximately, 3.04 million in US,[21] 78,000 in Canada)

Top 3 for Wii:
Wii Sports (17.85 million)
Wii Play (9.23 million)
Super Mario Galaxy (5.19 million)

Even if you do take away Wii Sports and Wii Play, the third selling game is still less than three million copies behind Xbox 360's top selling game (H3), and has sold more copies than it's second best selling game (GoW). Now consider that those numbers are for one month, while the Halo 3 number is for three months and your argument is pretty much well shut down.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 05:30 PM

Speaking of numbers, most talked about on Facebook over time:

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 05:31 PM

OK. So now that the Wii-doesn't-move-software!!!11 myth has been debunked, the goalposts have now been moved.

"Yeah OK the Wii does move titles, but I don't like them!"
Perhaps if you even used a wii in your life or even EVER bought a game for your HD-DVD player sorry, Xbox 360 you would have a better understanding of what owning a Nintendo system means..... don't hold your breath for any 3rd party games that are on all other systems and look forward to a sequel of a Nintendo game twice a year that will sell like mad cuz Nintendo owners are desperate for anything good.

What do you think the point of that whole story I liked to was? The guy was writing about ME not liking the available games?

Do you even know why you are defending a system you have no knowledge on other than to be on the other side?

$10 minigames is hardly a way for 3rd parties to make money and wii owners to get excited about. you got a Wii as a present sure you are going to look to grab a game over the next year... just have to wait for Mario Party #23 or Zelda every 5 years. In the mean time here is another minigame that will entertain you for 2 hours.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
How can Wii Sports be included in software sales if it's bundled with the system?
I don't know - why did you include it in software sales further down in your post? You made my point for me. The best selling game for the Wii is Mario Galaxy, which is sad that it's not the best selling game on any system considering just how many Wii's are out there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 08:39 PM

Perhaps if you even used a wii in your life or even EVER bought a game for your HD-DVD player sorry, Xbox 360 you would have a better understanding of what owning a Nintendo system means..... don't hold your breath for any 3rd party games that are on all other systems and look forward to a sequel of a Nintendo game twice a year that will sell like mad cuz Nintendo owners are desperate for anything good.

What do you think the point of that whole story I liked to was? The guy was writing about ME not liking the available games?

Do you even know why you are defending a system you have no knowledge on other than to be on the other side?

$10 minigames is hardly a way for 3rd parties to make money and wii owners to get excited about. you got a Wii as a present sure you are going to look to grab a game over the next year... just have to wait for Mario Party #23 or Zelda every 5 years. In the mean time here is another minigame that will entertain you for 2 hours.
You don't get it do you? I actually have no interest in buying a Wii. (Well, I did buy one, but for a friend. I wasn't going to keep it.)

The point of my posts was just to counteract the FUD posts about how Wii doesn't move software. Those claims are blatantly false regardless if you like the platform or not. What you don't seem to understand is not everyone likes Gears of War or Resistance or whatever. The person I bought the Wii for is a senior and he loves it. Just because some people don't share those tastes doesn't make the FUD about the Wii any more true.

The irony of all this is as you said, I have a 360, but more importantly, I am probably closer to the average 360 owner in terms of software purchased than you are. The average 360 owner doesn't buy a bazillion games a year. You own link states 4.7 titles per year on average, per console. I'm at eight 360 games now, after 2 years, so I'm 1 game short of the average of 9 (if you don't count the original Xbox games I have or the Arcade games).

So how many games do you have? 20? Cuz if so, you're way above the average 360 owner.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 22, 2008 at 08:48 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I don't know - why did you include it in software sales further down in your post? You made my point for me. The best selling game for the Wii is Mario Galaxy, which is sad that it's not the best selling game on any system considering just how many Wii's are out there.
Err no, here are the points:

1) Bundled games are not retail software sales.
2) Wii Play is still a game that count as a retail sale as it was not bundled with the console. It has sold more than Halo 3.
3) Super Mario Galaxy sales were for one month versus Halo 3s sales for 3 months. 8.1/3=2.7 million per month.

No matter how you toss and turn, the numbers still come better out for the Wii.

But guess what? That only proves my point that the Wii appeals to a much broader market than the typical console gamer and thus competes in a whole other niche rendering this stupid "console war" null and void. Please do continue discussing the merits of the Xbox 360 vs the PS3 though.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Err no, here are the points:

1) Bundled games are not retail software sales.
2) Wii Play is still a game that count as a retail sale as it was not bundled with the console. It has sold more than Halo 3.
3) Super Mario Galaxy sales were for one month versus Halo 3s sales for 3 months. 8.1/3=2.7 million per month.

No matter how you toss and turn, the numbers still come better out for the Wii.

But guess what? That only proves my point that the Wii appeals to a much broader market than the typical console gamer and thus competes in a whole other niche rendering this stupid "console war" null and void. Please do continue discussing the merits of the Xbox 360 vs the PS3 though.
1) Except Wii Sports *IS* counted in software sales. For some insane reason.
2) Wii Play is a group of demos included with an extra controller. It should also count as hardware sales, but isn't.
3) So what? The article above noted that Smash Bros sales dropped off 90% after four weeks. You think Mario Galaxy will buck this trend?

I agree that the Wii appeals to a broader audience. I also think that it doesn't appeal to most *gamers*, which is what prompted this entire discussion in the first place.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I agree that the Wii appeals to a broader audience. I also think that it doesn't appeal to most *gamers*, which is what prompted this entire discussion in the first place.
And what some of us are suggesting some have too narrow a definition of "gamer". As far as I'm concerned, anyone who enjoys playing console games and is willing to spend money on them is a console "gamer".

The Wii has opened up an entire market that the Microsoft and Sony chose to ignore, which is why we have a such a huge lead for Nintendo. Basically Nintendo made a gamble and won, and it's almost as if some hardcore "gamers" are bitter about it because it dilutes their industry with all sorts of new gamers who don't share the same interests.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 12:30 PM

The Nintendo Wii Is Nearing The End Of The Road:

"Poor game marketing.
They rely too heavily on sequels.
Low quantities of consoles on the shelves.
Poor relationships with 3rd party developers.
Limited access to quality information for the media."

Oh look same points as most of us Wii OWNERS have.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 12:37 PM

I don't understand why there's a shortage.

But other than that, I'm curious what 1st person titles are left to be made. I imagine they'd have to be new, as all the franchises I can think of have been made now.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
-The XB360 has yet another 'killing simulator'(GTAIV)
I missed that you edited your post after I asked what the killing simulator was.

Congratulations on sounding like Jack Thompson. Also on your inability to see what makes GTA stand above the rest.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 05:58 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 10:35 PM

Buahahahaahahaa.

That was awesome.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I missed that you edited your post after I asked what the killing simulator was.

Congratulations on sounding like Jack Thompson. Also on your inability to see what makes GTA stand above the rest.
I think you missed my point there. i got nothing against violence in video games, in fact i could have made the above statement about any overplayed genre.

My pint was yeah..it's another shooter-sandbox game.... so ? thats like what the bulk of the 'A' games on the XB360/PS3 seem to be. It's like watching Van Damme movies....there's only so many i can bother watching before giving up on the genre. I think shooters have been overplayed on the 'hardcore' consoles..... thats all. So i wonder what sort of difference to console market share 'yet another killing simulator'(for lack of a better description of the genre) will make. (i mean that it could go either way).

I gave up on fps' after RtCW. i know GTA has a huge following, and i dont doubt it will sell well, im not so sure if its a console pusher thats all.

Cheers

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 10:50 AM

I think you missed my point there. i got nothing against violence in video games, in fact i could have made the above statement about any overplayed genre.

My pint was yeah..it's another shooter-sandbox game.... so ? thats like what the bulk of the 'A' games on the XB360/PS3 seem to be. It's like watching Van Damme movies....there's only so many i can bother watching before giving up on the genre. I think shooters have been overplayed on the 'hardcore' consoles..... thats all. So i wonder what sort of difference to console market share 'yet another killing simulator'(for lack of a better description of the genre) will make. (i mean that it could go either way).

I gave up on fps' after RtCW. i know GTA has a huge following, and i dont doubt it will sell well, im not so sure if its a console pusher thats all.

Cheers
No, you're the one who missed the point. Calling GTA just another shooter is like calling Mario just another action/adventure game.

First, GTA isn't a shooter -- if you think it is, it's obvious you haven't played it. Yes, you can do a lot of killing in it, and many do, but most of my friends and I used Mario Paint to create some depraved stuff, and that doesn't make Mario Paint a porno creator.

GTA is an open world game, no, the open world game. It defines the genre in the same way that Mario defines platformers. And platformers have been far more overplayed than open world (or even FPS) games (mostly due to them having been around far longer).

I have no idea how you compare Return to Castle Wolfenstein to Grand Theft Auto. It's cliché to say we're losing respect for someone in this thread, but seriously Hawkeye, they've got nothing in common other than people die in both. GTA has more in common with Mario than Wolfenstein.

GTA IV has as much ability to move consoles as Mario Galaxy. Of that I'm 99% positive.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2008, 11:47 AM

Cheers
My God, man, pull your head out of your ass.

I'm amazed at how someone can write so much about videogames and not understand them AT ALL.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 12:03 PM

Hawkeye,

RtCW was a mediocre shooter at best.

I assume you haven't played the Half-Life 2 series...which is pretty much the best FPS ever made, IMO.

GTA invented it's own genre, as Dakar said, and really has no parallel in any game market.

As for shooters being 'overplayed' I guess we are in agreement about Nintendo games then too, right? Mario is on, what now, it's 20th iteration? Mario himself has appeared in over 100+ games (the best i could extrapolate from the internet, some sites say 200 games)

Then there's Zelda, which makes his 6th 'Zelda' game appearance on the Wii. Talk about overplayed ideas. Bungie would have to come out with Halo 10 to even touch the amount of recycled ideas Nintendo keeps churning out. Even Metroid is on number 9, if you count the handheld games as well.

You don't like shooters, that's cool man, but they ain't no different than the rest of the games you seem to prefer.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I assume you haven't played the Half-Life 2 series...which is pretty much the best FPS ever made, IMO.
I was all excited to play that game as I never had before so I grabbed my friends copy of Orange box.

I started with HL1 and it was ok but I quickly got stuck as they add some pretty strange and non-logical puzzles randomly in the middle of the action. I gave up and tried HL2 and ran into the same problem pretty quick.... in the middle of a big shoot out and them some totally bazzar puzzle to solve before I can move on.

I can see the appeal of it but it didn't quite sit right with me.

But on the topic of Nintendo:
Revolutionary: Wii can has hard drive? - Nintendo Wii Fanboy

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 02:38 PM

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Hawkeye,

RtCW was a mediocre shooter at best.

GTA invented it's own genre, as Dakar said, and really has no parallel in any game market.

As for shooters being 'overplayed' I guess we are in agreement about Nintendo games then too, right? Mario is on, what now, it's 20th iteration? Mario himself has appeared in over 100+ games (the best i could extrapolate from the internet, some sites say 200 games)

Then there's Zelda, which makes his 6th 'Zelda' game appearance on the Wii. Talk about overplayed ideas. Bungie would have to come out with Halo 10 to even touch the amount of recycled ideas Nintendo keeps churning out. Even Metroid is on number 9, if you count the handheld games as well.

You don't like shooters, that's cool man, but they ain't no different than the rest of the games you seem to prefer.
Agreed.

I guess what it boils down to, for me, is .... i prefer eating mushrooms, chasing white rabbits, saving princesses and solving puzzles as opposed to carrying around guns and figuring out new and 'interesting' ways to whack someone . to each his own. And your right, i haven't played any HL nor any GTA(i did play some on a PSP for 15 minutes, and was pretty unimpressed)... Like i said, i got tired of the Van Damme movies a long time ago. Portal on the other hand, has me interested.

starman... get a grip. GTA may be a great game for the hardcore(like SSBB) but i find their lack of appeal to larger audiences and inability to entice new players disappointing. I dont 'want' to play SSBB nor GTAIV.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2008, 03:34 PM

SSBB isn't "hardcore", dude. It's just not. Have you watched this?

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

You really should.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 03:37 PM

It seems as though *someone* has been pulling numbers out of their arse yet again.

Nintendo Wii Production: Nintendo Talks Profits, Sales, And Increased Wii Shipments

And to quote..
"Through March 31, 2008, Wii enjoys a life-to-date tie ratio of 6.07 games per system worldwide."

Some 'virus' eh ?

It's one thing to not like a company's products, its another to fabricate statistics and pass them off as facts.

So where does that place the Wii as far as tie-ratios compared to XB360 and PS3 ?

To summarize Wii's position..
-Biggest installed base
-Highest software sales per system

And hence... the system selling the most games to 'gamers'.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 24, 2008 at 03:52 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 03:38 PM

SSBB isn't "hardcore", dude. It's just not. Have you watched this?

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

You really should.
Seen that, funny. Not a Smash Bros. fan either, it caters to it's fanbase, just like GTA. And im not a fan of either.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2008, 03:53 PM

It seems as though *someone* has been pulling numbers out of their arse yet again.

Nintendo Wii Production: Nintendo Talks Profits, Sales, And Increased Wii Shipments

And to quote..
"Through March 31, 2008, Wii enjoys a life-to-date tie ratio of 6.07 games per system worldwide."

Some 'virus' eh ?

It's one thing to not like a company's products, its another to fabricate statistics and pass them off as facts.

So where does that place the Wii as far as tie-ratios compared to XB360 and PS3 ?

-Biggest installed base

And yet.....

All my friends have 360s and PS3s.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 03:56 PM

So what your saying is... your lonely ?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 03:57 PM

I guess what it boils down to, for me, is .... i prefer eating mushrooms, chasing white rabbits, saving princesses and solving puzzles as opposed to carrying around guns and figuring out new and 'interesting' ways to whack someone
"Ya just don't get it, do ya Scott?"

Would it be clever if I said something dumb in return, like, "Jumping gets old after a while?"

And to quote..

Some 'virus' eh ?

-Biggest installed base

And yet.....

All my friends have 360s and PS3s.
I wonder how much Japan colors those numbers. Like it or not their "hardcoreness" colors everything.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 04:48 PM

And to quote..

Some 'virus' eh ?

-Biggest installed base

I can understand counting number of Wii units shipped the same as sold, since they're sold out pretty much everywhere. But to say that shipping 119.6 million software units is the same as selling them is just plain stupid. Wii games sitting on the shelves do NOT count towards the attachment rate, and Nintendo should know that.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 02:28 AM

Arstechnica - Nintendo earnings reveal an unstoppable gaming juggernaut

“The middling performance of the 360, coupled with the PS3’s slow start has led IDG to the conclusion that the core gamer market is in fact saturated. On a combined hardware and software basis, the global market grew by 21 per cent with the DS and the Wii in 2007, but declined by seven per cent without the two Nintendo platforms. In short, the balance of power has significantly shifted towards Nintendo.” - IDG Research ( �Core gamer market is saturated� - news - www.mcvuk.com )
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 26, 2008 at 02:59 AM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 02:32 AM

And the rebuttle from the very source the NYT used in the article...

VGChartz.com | News
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 26, 2008 at 02:59 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules