Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Place to buy an Apple Macbook Air in the USA

Best Place to buy an Apple Macbook Air in the USA
simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2010, 07:51 AM

I am going on a hiking trip through some of the West Coast national parks soon and so I’ll be in Washington State then Oregon; Wyoming; Utah; etc. ending up in LA.

I plan on buying a Macbook Air (hopefully after the pending model update - when is it going to happen???) and would like some advice on where is the best place to buy it. I’ve read that Oregon has no sales tax and so it seems to be a winner there – but where in Oregon has the best price and service?

Similarly I would love to know of any other experience as to the best day hikes; hiking shops (REI etc). I have US size 14 feet and I would love to be able to get some new hiking boots and cross trainers – for some reason the big sizes still don’t make it in Australia.

cheers

Simon
this sig intentionally left blank

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by simonjames View Post
I plan on buying a Macbook Air (hopefully after the pending model update - when is it going to happen???) and would like some advice on where is the best place to buy it. I’ve read that Oregon has no sales tax and so it seems to be a winner there – but where in Oregon has the best price and service?
Mac prices in brick and mortar stores don't vary much, so prices will be more or less the same everywhere.

Just go to an Apple Store (like in Portland), they should have all models in stock.

-t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2010, 08:26 AM

If you know anybody you can trust in the areas you'll be traveling through, buy the thing online at Amazon or something and have it shipped to them - it'll save you a chunk in sales tax.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
If you know anybody you can trust in the areas you'll be traveling through, buy the thing online at Amazon or something and have it shipped to them - it'll save you a chunk in sales tax.
That's why he plans to buy it in Oregon

-t

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2010, 12:18 PM

Not if it's bought in Washington, one of the destinations of the trip.
Vandelay Industries

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2010, 08:32 PM

What you using it for? An iPad might be better.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's why he plans to buy it in Oregon

-t
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Not if it's bought in Washington, one of the destinations of the trip.
Oooh, it would help if I read the post before replying wouldn't it?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2010, 05:21 AM

Thanks for the input people.

iPad v Air ??? If the iPad had USB and Snow Leopard then yes but as a Touch on 'roids then no.

Long story {not entertaining and just full of ramblings} - currently I have a Powerbook G4 17" and an iMac G5 (pre-iSight). I was thinking of replacing the PB 17" with a MB 15" and the iMac (a lemon from the start) with an i7 hackintosh but then Apple brought out the big iMac with that gorgeous screen and i7 chipset and so I (stupidly) changed my mind. I'll update the iMac when they are updated later this year. My train of thought is - if I have the mother of all iMacs I can get away with the lightest Apple laptop. The 17" is a fantastic machine but it is so heavy.

I would love Apple to develop/release a successor to Apple TV - until then the PB will become a media server.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2010, 08:31 AM

Do you watch the refurb offers at store.apple.com ?
The offerings change daily. Sometimes hourly. Trim $100-$300 off different models/years.
I've had awesome luck with apple refurbs.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2010, 09:06 AM

But you'll pay tax on Apple Store refurbs, which will negate much of the savings over buying a new model at a brick and mortar in a no sales tax state.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2010, 03:52 PM

But you'll pay tax on Apple Store refurbs, which will negate much of the savings over buying a new model at a brick and mortar in a no sales tax state.
I tend to forget about that... since I buy from (& have shipped to) home... out in the county where sales tax is 3%
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Raman
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2010, 11:21 AM

REI is great. They back their products. Not sure if they'll have the sizes in stock, however. You could go to REI.com, purchase them and have them ship for free to the store you're going to pick them up at.

Are you sure you want to get new hiking boots and then go on long hikes right away (or are you planning on doing some short hikes to break them in?)

I recently traded my MacBook Pro for a new Air and love it. Rediculously light and think. I know some hikers take netbooks but the one I have is bulky and probably weighs the same. Then again, netbooks are cheap and disposable pretty much and make a great flat surface for putting my MSR stove on.

Oh wait. I thought this was whiteblaze.net

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2010, 03:17 AM

Definitely second buying retail while in Oregon.

I'm just so over buying a laptop or desktop online. When you pick it up in the store, you save your laptop from many hours of handling, and shaking on board a truck and/or plane. Not to mention the possibility of it being dropped at multiple points along it's way to it's destination;.

I've seen photos of the boxes laptops are shipped in, and man, do they take some abuse. I'm sure Apple's packing is of a high enough caliber to protect the machine, but why take that chance.

Buy it at the store, and treat it the way an investment should be treated: with care.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2010, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

I am flying out in 2 weeks to Iceland and will end up in the States mid May - hopefully by then an i5 or i7 MBA will have been released. I just wish it were now so I can see if there are any problems with it.

Thanks for the REI tip though I need to try shoes on before I buy. I am travelling with a couple of pairs of hiking boots - one will be thrown out on the trip once the new ones are proven to be comfortable.

9 working days to go...... but who's counting?

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 02:29 AM

So, I am thinking of using the Apple Store in the Pioneer Place mall. Anyone have any better place I should consider/use?

Forum Links
Forum Rules