Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quit on Start: Mozilla 1.4/Netscape 7.1/Camino

Quit on Start: Mozilla 1.4/Netscape 7.1/Camino
boyracer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 01:50 PM

Anyone else having problems with the latest Mozilla (1.4), Netscape (7.1), and Camino (latest nightlies)?

All these unexpectedly quit whenever I try to run them. I've trashed the prefs and Mozilla folder from the Library folder but to no avail.

Just this morning I've done a complete and clean reinstall of MacOS X 10.2.6 with the security updates, java 1.4.1, etc. I'm using a 600 MHz iBook with 384 MB Ram.

I can't work out whats going wrong. I can use Camino 0.7.0, Safari 1.0, and OmniWeb without any problems. No one has posted similar experiences on VersionTracker or MacUpdate. It appears to be just me - but what about my 'virgin' system can be taking these recently built Gecko-based browsers to their knees?

I also downloaded the latest nightly (1 July) of the new Mozilla 1.5a with the exact same results.....

Before I wipe drive and do another clean install, I'd like to know if theres something simple that I'm missing - or could try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-peter
( Last edited by boyracer; Jul 2, 2003 at 05:27 PM. )

boyracer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 02:22 PM

Well, its java 1.4.1 thats making Mozilla, Netscape, and Camino unexpectedly quit.

I just did a clean reinstall AGAIN, but this time I installed and tested Mozilla and Camino before applying any OS updates. With each update I installed, I ran the browsers to see what happened.

After installing MacOS X 10.2.4, I installed Java 1.4.1 and tested without success. I removed the following folders from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/:
Java Applet.plugin
JavaPluginCocoa.bundle

Mozilla and Camino now launch successfully.

Of course, the question NOW is, what am I to do about Java? On my Dual G4 1.25GHz Mac, Java works fine with Mozilla and Camino. What is going on?

Is there anyone I should tell? Who will listen?

Sigh. I'm a Mac user. Drag and Drop, Point and Click, turn it on it works. This kind of inconsistant nonsense is demoralizing. This is the kind of thing Windows users have to deal with...

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 05:38 PM

I don't know about the Java angle. I'll just mention that Camino was crashing on launch for me after I installed the DivX QuickTime component. If I removed the ~/Library/QuickTime/DivX 5.component it would launch fine.

OAW

JeremyA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 10:45 PM

Camino started scrashing on start for me soon after the 0.7 release. After that I started to have trouble with netscape and mozilla. I deleted everything on my computer that have netscape, mozilla, camino or chimera in its name and reinstalled but it didn't solve the problem.

Fortunately, at about the same time the first Safari beta came out so I have been using that ever since.

Jeremy

EDIT: I just tried deleting the java files and it solved the problem for me too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules