Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hardware or software graphic issue

Hardware or software graphic issue
Rumor
Jul 22, 2008, 05:46 PM

This comes from a game forum that I play on, being that there is only about three of us that use OSX out of around four hundred, I told the guy I would repost here.

Just got my Macbook Pro fixed (motherboard/cpu/gpu replaced), but games are all acting crazy, missing textures, crashes, etc. making me suspect that its there is still some hardware issue. but i need to demonstrate to apple that the problem would occur on the Mac OS (and not just windows, since all my games are installed on windows), does anyone know any graphically intensive games for MAC OS (tiger or leopard)
something as crazy as say... crysis, etc, never have played any games under mac environment
and where to buy them.

appreciate the help guys.
My suggestion was:

Originally Posted by Rumor
Sadly, most of the games that come to OSX are ports of their Windows counterparts. With that, they are usually recoded in Cocoa, and causes performance issues.

That being said, you may be able to demo the problem with Civ IV, Doom 3, or Battlefield 2142. Try a demo version before you buy the whole game. The issue may not repeat itself while running in OSX. Your video drivers for Windows may have become corrupted. Have you tried reinstalling, updating, or even rolling them back?
Suggestions or further information needed?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

solinomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2008, 11:56 AM

Ok more details here

tested shadow demo on UNITY web player website on OS X, same problem happened, it went fine for a while but after a bit starting to see missing textures.
on the windows side, tested applications like NWN, NWN2, crysis etc, either missing texture, or missing texture then crashed a few sec later or crash right away. seems to happen when rendering 2D stuff as well.

made me suspect it was the ram, because motherboard was replace with everything not detachable on it replaced.

but then after 7 passes of memory test using the apple hardware test, no error was detected

since this problem occuring on both mac and windows, making me believe its not software, even though my motherboard was just replaced. but cant figure out what would be causing this problem, please point me to the right direction guys, thanks

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by solinomac View Post
but then after 7 passes of memory test using the apple hardware test, no error was detected
This means almost nothing. Can you test with known good RAM? (i.e. RAM from a machine that is working fine.)

Rumor  (op)
Jul 24, 2008, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
This means almost nothing. Can you test with known good RAM? (i.e. RAM from a machine that is working fine.)
The RAM is the original RAM that came with the machine. He just go it back from Apple after replacing multiple things (CPU, GPU, Logic Board), and supposedly the RAM came through fine.

Should I send him my spare RAM (before I upgraded to 4 gigs and worked fine then, also now) to test?

He is a friend of mine, and I directed him here.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2008, 03:04 AM

I would send him the RAM.

It would help to narrow down the actual problem. Apple frequently replaces RAM if they even suspect it's bad, but RAM tests are notoriously flakey. If you send him the RAM and the problem persists, at least you can positively eliminate RAM as a culprit.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
...Just got my Macbook Pro fixed (motherboard/cpu/gpu replaced...
Sounds like GPU to me, but IMO the solution is that the problematic box should go back to whomever just fixed it.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules