Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Luxpro is back...

Luxpro is back...
andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 09:44 PM

-MP3/WMA
-FM
-voice recording

-64 x 48 pixel screen
-or 128 x 64 pixel screen

links: here and here

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 10:28 PM

that looks super!

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Timan
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 10:37 PM

A knockoff that looks more tempting than the thing its knocking off...
- Tim

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 01:16 AM

Actually, does anyone know the relationship between Apple and Luxpro?

Is Luxpro allowed to copy Apple's design, or is Luxpro the "contract designer" or something for the iPod shuffle?

If not, why hasn't Apple taken any action yet?

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 11, 2005, 06:50 AM

AFAIK there is no relationship between the two. Seems as if luxpro is just boldly copying the shuffle - in the beginning to get publicity, and sometime maybe to snatch some would-nbe shuffle customers away. (Wild guess)

But is the luxpro stuff available anywhere? (Ok, pic is from Japan, so they are selling them over there) Now, what about the ones with the screens? Are they just pushing out concepts and waiting for the right one to get favorable coverage?

Oh, and apple did take some action, they had all the luxpro shuffles removed form luxpro's exhibition booth. luxpro then altered its design 180 degrees (isn't that obvious? ) and apple seems to be reluctant to take further action. I thought that was because luxpro shuffles weren't actually available at all...
( Last edited by Ambassadeur; May 11, 2005 at 07:58 AM. )
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ambassadeur
AFAIK there is no relationship between the two. Seems as if luxpro is just boldly copying the shuffle - in the beginning to get publicity, and sometime maybe to snatch some would-nbe shuffle customers away. (Wild guess)

But is the luxpro stuff available anywhere? (Apart from Singapore, if that's where you took the pic, andretan) Or are they just pushing out concepts and waiting for the right one to get favorable coverage?

Oh, and apple did take some action, they had all the luxpro shuffles removed form luxpro's exhibition booth. luxpro then altered its design 180 degrees (isn't that obvious? ) and apple seems to be reluctant to take further action. I thought that was because luxpro shuffles weren't actually available at all...
Erm, I got the pic off the iPodlounge. Haven't seen one anywhere in Singapore yet.

Apparently according to the link from iPodlounge, it's being sold in Japan and other parts of Asia.

And I quote from here:
"As usual, the Taiwan-based company does not offer pricing or availability for the two new players. In fact, there has yet to be any confirmation that LuxPro has even shipped the original Super Tangent player."

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by andretan
Erm, I got the pic off the iPodlounge. Haven't seen one anywhere in Singapore yet.

Apparently according to the link from iPodlounge, it's being sold in Japan and other parts of Asia.
Yes, I just realized that and changed my post before I saw your answer I saw the pics on dapreview.com (more precisely, the place they linked to) as well - and these earbuds really look weird, at least the cord! And, in that store where the pics were taken, the sign relates somehow to the Apple product - but for some reason I am too illiterate to read that
Store announcement/sign
Earbuds

Now, let the Apple legal division get its butt in gear...

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 03:15 AM

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2005, 04:05 PM

Has anyone bought a Luxpro yet?

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 04:36 PM

Well, you might want to read this when interested in the Luxpro in real life
Sounds like a real hit-to-be that's coming our way...
Luxpro Super Tangent first hand experience

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2005, 08:58 PM

I like the screen. That's exactly what I want on the iPod shuffle.

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2005, 02:40 PM

Yeah. But Apple won't let you have it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules