Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Terrorists: Please blow up the DMVs if you have to blow something up

Terrorists: Please blow up the DMVs if you have to blow something up
suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 1, 2005, 10:23 AM

K. RANT.

The DMV. HOLY FREAKIN' HELL. If there are any terrorists going to blow up another government building in America, please let it be the DMV. PLEASE.

Here's what I did this morning. Woke up, early, got ready, and was planning on renewing Kristin's plates. The DMV opens at 8:15am. I get out of here at about 8am, get to the DMV by about 8:08am, and walk in the doors at 8:10. Five minutes early. There's already a line about 30 people long. Good thing I plugged the meter for 45 minutes. I wait. And wait. And wait. After about 35 minutes, the line has moved about FIVE PEOPLE. I wait. And wait. And wait. I finally get near the front, and find it oh so convenient that they've posted the sign that says "CASH OR CHECK ONLY" at the FRONT of the line. Check my wallet, sure enough, not enough cash. I didn't bring checks becuase I figured, 'why would they take checks? Most stores don't like checks. They prefer plastic. It can't bounce that way'.

But apparently the DMV is still in the freakin' stone age when it comes to payments. The thought had crossed my mind about asking them if they accepted CLAMS as a form of payment, but I left. I drove home, determined to use the website. www.dot.wisconsin.gov. I click on renew plates, type in the info, and VIOLA!

"The system is unable to process your request at this time.
Please try again later. Thank You."

HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! Not only is the payment archaic, the speed and efficiency archaic, but their f*cking WEBSITE doesn't even work! WAY TO GO DMV! Gee, the only thing that could have made my experience better would be if I got a parking ticket while waiting!

Assholes.

SO yeah... know any middle eastern people? Tell them to tell their friends to hit the DMV. I won't be losing any sleep about it.

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 1, 2005, 10:31 AM

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2005, 10:34 AM

Come to Virginia. I went on a Sat. and waited for 3 hours in line.

They wouldn't take my previous drivers license as a form of ID, but they would take a letter my mother wrote to me...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
They wouldn't take my previous drivers license as a form of ID, but they would take a letter my mother wrote to me...
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 10:59 AM

Be careful what you ask for, you might just get your wish. The problem could be that family or friends could be at the DMV.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
The problem could be that family or friends could be at the DMV.
You mean Rob has friends ?

-t

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 11:09 AM

Wow... guess I should be glad I'm in MD?

Haven't been to the DMV (or MVA as they're called here) for years. I've done everything over the web the last few years. I even renewed my Drivers Licens that way last month (you can only do that every other time though). Kinda weird having a 5 year old picture of me on there - sort of loses some credibility I guess. I'm 20 lbs heavier and definitley don't look at young anymore.

I think the only thing an established driver needs to go in for is to physically return plates.. and the last time I did that... they had a counter dedicated for that. In and out in 5 minutes.

Timan
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Come to Virginia. I went on a Sat. and waited for 3 hours in line.

Ha yea, here in VA beach, you have to be there at least 1 or 2 hours before the place opens if you want to be in there when it opens, if not you'll be outside waiting in line till the place closes.
- Tim

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 11:35 AM

That sucks. Utah mails me my license plates after I pay online and my Arizona driver's license doesn't expire until 2043, so I think I'm good for a while.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 1, 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by macroy
Wow... guess I should be glad I'm in MD?

Haven't been to the DMV (or MVA as they're called here) for years. I've done everything over the web the last few years. I even renewed my Drivers Licens that way last month (you can only do that every other time though). Kinda weird having a 5 year old picture of me on there - sort of loses some credibility I guess. I'm 20 lbs heavier and definitley don't look at young anymore.

I think the only thing an established driver needs to go in for is to physically return plates.. and the last time I did that... they had a counter dedicated for that. In and out in 5 minutes.
I have to agree -- my experiences with the MVA have been pleasant and reasonably speedy up here in the Baltimore area. Now, down in Montgomery County, they had long waits...

tooki

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 12:21 PM

iMOTOR must also darken the doors of the department of maniacal vipers today. Shall thy not turn to waste in the presence of the armpit that is the dmv.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 12:36 PM

Two years ago I had to replace my drivers license because my wallet was stolen. *NOT* kidding ... 10 friggin hours at the Georgia DMV office.

I want to lock my license in a safe deposit box and carry a copy after that! <GRIN>
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 12:48 PM

Is it just me, or does the DMV always smell like a rotting corpse

It's like everyone decided not to wear deodorant.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 01:35 PM

Dane Cook has a bit about this. In the future everything is going to be instantaneous. Food, Custom Clothing, except at the DMV, you're going to have to wait like 10 seconds. They should have someone at the door that punches you in the face as you walk in. Waiting in line isn't so bad now, is it? After being punched in the face.

DarwinX
Aug 1, 2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
Dane Cook has a bit about this. In the future everything is going to be instantaneous. Food, Custom Clothing, except at the DMV, you're going to have to wait like 10 seconds. They should have someone at the door that punches you in the face as you walk in. Waiting in line isn't so bad now, is it? After being punched in the face.
Dude I was thinking the same thing! That skit is hilarious. Everyone should see it!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 02:04 PM

I had to schedule my driving test two months in advance at the CA DMV — and that was after three days of calling just to be able to make the appointment.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
I have to agree -- my experiences with the MVA have been pleasant and reasonably speedy up here in the Baltimore area. Now, down in Montgomery County, they had long waits...

tooki
Interesting. Never a problem - but again, have yet to be in a full service one since 99..?

Working at a Federal client site here in Rockville is great too as they have the MVA come to you every month. There's a bus that parks out there just for the fed employees.... never used them.. .but everyone raves about that "perk".

outsourced
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 03:26 PM

Yet another government entity that should be eliminated and replaced with either nothing (no licensing) or private enterprise.

The other is NASA. Bureaucracy at its finest (aka worst).

If the government controlled the computing/technology industries, we'd still be using abacii.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 1, 2005, 03:30 PM

went to the DMV to renew my license at 10am on a Monday.
waited in line for 5 minutes.
got my new license (with new photo) in the mail that Saturday.

i was convinced there was some rip in the space/time continuum that allowed this to occur.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 03:31 PM

The underground is also a miserable place that everyone hates, but nobody was very happy when terrorists blew it up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by outsourced
If the government controlled the computing/technology industries, we'd still be using abacii.
What's wrong with abacii ?

They never run out of power, you can use them in planes while take off and landing, hard to break, resistant to viruses and worms, never crash etc.

-t

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by outsourced
Yet another government entity that should be eliminated and replaced with either nothing (no licensing) or private enterprise.

The other is NASA. Bureaucracy at its finest (aka worst).

Actually NASA in it's day wasn't bad. Funny that you mention computing technology: Most modern technology is a direct offshoot of the early space program.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
The underground is also a miserable place that everyone hates, but nobody was very happy when terrorists blew it up.
I kind of like the underground.

I guess you have to live in a city that doesn't have anything like it (Atlanta) or a city with a messed up subway (New York) to really appreciate the London tube system. :-)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
K. RANT.

The DMV. HOLY FREAKIN' HELL. If there are any terrorists going to blow up another government building in America, please let it be the DMV. PLEASE.
Don't suppose you learned the first time? Do you LIKE having the FBI come to your house and question you?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 05:24 PM

Thats just too stupid, not to take cash with you .

Railroader
Banned
Aug 1, 2005, 05:33 PM

I love Michigan's Secretary of State offices. There's ALWAYS more clerks/tellers than people waiting and on the couple of occasions I had to wait it was never more than 10 minutes. In regards to payment types, the last time I was there I paid partially with cash and the rest with my debit card.

Their online service is awesome as well.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by amsalpemkcus
Yeah, what an irony...

-t

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Aug 1, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by driven
Two years ago I had to replace my drivers license because my wallet was stolen. *NOT* kidding ... 10 friggin hours at the Georgia DMV office.
Yeah, Georgia's DMV is bad even when their systems are working...I'd hate to see it when stuff goes down.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 10:15 PM

Takes me about 10 minutes to get plates. Just did it last week. Walked in around 2:00 pm, had to wait for a couple of minutes, and was out the door within 10 minutes. Thank God it is easy to get plates, because getting your driver's license renewed is an absolute freaking nightmare. I've honestly seen people waiting outside the driver's license place an hour before they open up. Insane. Fortunately, my job requires me to have a Commercial Driver's License, so not only does my employer pay for my renewal fees (including my motorcycle endorsement ), I get to go stand in line and wait while I get paid!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Ganesha
Senior User
Aug 1, 2005, 10:20 PM

Here in Tucson, they are pretty fast. They took about 5-10 minutes last time I was there.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by driven
I kind of like the underground.

I guess you have to live in a city that doesn't have anything like it (Atlanta) or a city with a messed up subway (New York) to really appreciate the London tube system. :-)
what's wrong with the New York subways? You can get anywhere in the city, always $2/ride (with several free transfers). Maybe not sparkly-clean, but not any dirtier than the street. From what i gather, London tube fares range anywhere from $3.54 to $6.72 (£2.00 to £3.80)

edit: just to stay sort of on topic, i've got to go to the DMV (now MVC here in jersey, too) soon to get my license, and i'm not looking forward to it. They supposedly straightened out their act, but i don't believe it.

"I start fires!"

pathogen
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
what's wrong with the New York subways? You can get anywhere in the city, always $2/ride (with several free transfers). Maybe not sparkly-clean, but not any dirtier than the street.
Don't get me started on my subways.

I don't know what was the better moment this weekend: watching a woman in opened toed sandles slip in vomit she failed to notice by her seat, or the creepy guy crawling out of the tracks at Broadway-Lafeyette as if he'd just gone for a stroll in the dark recesses of the tunnels.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 11:01 PM

CA DMV has made major progress over the last five years. It used to be 30min/3hours (apt/walkin) to 0min/15min now. I am still in complete shock at how fast and streamlined things are.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 11:37 PM

Life in a small town = zero wait at the DMV. But I've lived in LA so I feel your pain Rob.

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 1, 2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by amsalpemkcus
I had $45 in cash. I thought to myself, "should I bring the check book?" but then I considered how most businesses won't even accept personal checks, becuase people are so bad with them....and how they prefer plastic. But nope, not the DMV. We're perpetually 20 years behind!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2005, 11:48 PM

My last experience was actually pretty good a few years ago. My license had expired when working outside of the US. I was in my hometown and went to one of the DMV Expresses. They called Nevada (my previous DL was in Vegas), checked my driving records (last speeding tickets were back in Uni) and did it all up. Took less than 30 minutes which was pretty good considering they had to call another state to confirm and give me a new license, not a renewal.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 2, 2005, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg
Life in a small town = zero wait at the DMV. But I've lived in LA so I feel your pain Rob.
Small town living is teh bestest!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
What's wrong with abacii ?

They never run out of power, you can use them in planes while take off and landing, hard to break, resistant to viruses and worms, never crash etc.

-t
One of mine had woodworm.

Never lost data, though - even without a reformat.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 10:52 AM

I traded in my license for a NY State license in the DMV Express on 34th St & 8th Ave in NYC and was shocked how smoothly it went. I was in an out of the place in 20 minutes, no joke. They took my picture & did an eye test, then gave me a ticket. An automated voice called my ticket number and the lady took my identification and information. License arrived about two weeks later. Easy!

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 03:14 PM

DMV = annoying but mostly harmless

TicketMaster, OTOH, is clearly a terror target we can all agree on.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
That sucks. Utah mails me my license plates after I pay online and my Arizona driver's license doesn't expire until 2043, so I think I'm good for a while.
ahahahahahahah gotta love those AZ licenses. i can use the same pic of me at 16 up until i'm 64.

someone really thought that one out well.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
DMV = annoying but mostly harmless

TicketMaster, OTOH, is clearly a terror target we can all agree on.

OUCH! I couldn't agree more. Legalized scalping .....
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by maxintosh
I traded in my license for a NY State license in the DMV Express on 34th St & 8th Ave in NYC and was shocked how smoothly it went. I was in an out of the place in 20 minutes, no joke. They took my picture & did an eye test, then gave me a ticket. An automated voice called my ticket number and the lady took my identification and information. License arrived about two weeks later. Easy!

Funny, because I went to the same location to do literally the same thing, and I was there for almost four hours. The people running the place weren't sure what to do with me, as I was turning in a license that was only a few months old, and they wanted it to be 6 months or older. Well, it had expired and been reissued. I had my old expired one also, so they decided that to "be safe" they would take both my expired and current PA licenses and destroy them. Not a huge deal, but it means I no longer have my first license with the picture taken on the day I had passed the test five years back, with my big-ass "I passed!" grin.

Also, since it takes two weeks to get your ID, I asked if I could keep my old EXPIRED PA license because I needed a photo ID because I was flying that weekend, but they said I was out of luck and would just have to "call the airline and let them know". I called the airline. They also said I was out of luck and might not get to board the plane when I showed up at the airport, even with a temporary license (no pic).

But at least then I became an official NYS resident!

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 04:11 PM

Thanks to the Illinois DMV, when I turn 21 in March, no one's going to accept my drivers license as valid - it looks fake because they misspelled the word "BUFFALO" in my town name as "BUUFFALO." Jumps out at everyone who looks at it. Plus, the cheap leather of my wallet has rubbed off black dye all over the thing.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 04:21 PM

My DMV is never that busy. I guess one of the pluses of not living in a HUGE urban city.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 05:20 PM

Grow up, Rob.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Grow up, Rob.
Yep. Just me. All these other people agreeing with me don't need to.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 08:38 PM

Your thread reminded me to go online and request a duplicate license since I've moved. I go online and it says I need to register for a PIN. I enter my license number, birth date, SSN, and all that... click submit and... ERROR - Your license number and/or SSN does not match any known records. Please go back and correct your information. Which I do, and of course, it continues to fail.

Looks like I'll have to go to the office and ask how many gold pieces and magic beans it takes to get my address changed.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 2, 2005, 08:43 PM

It's a government agency.... Slow is good for them. If they sped things up, they would implode...

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 01:35 AM

The line is nothing. Try having the DMV lose your license plates, send them to the wrong address, and fail to process your change of address cards, even after having sent 3 of them to correct the mistakes they couldn't get right the other 2 times.

I didn't have any plates on my car for 6 months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules