Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How does Apple ship an iMac?

How does Apple ship an iMac?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2005, 05:45 PM

Can someone who has ordered a G5 iMac from the Apple Online Store tell me if Apple ships the iMac G5 only in it's box or do they double box it or wrap the box with paper & tape?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 05:52 PM

My G5 came shipped only in its box, and there was a nice sized impact hole in the box too. (Luckily the box took the hit to a spot near the top, away from the case and on the styrofoam instead.) I ordered it from the Apple Store, so I imagine that how they're generally shipped.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 18, 2005 at 06:08 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 11:16 PM

all Apple desktops except the mini are shipped in their retail boxes. the mini, iBook, and PowerBook have shipping boxes.

"I start fires!"

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 11:26 PM

But the Powerbook's shipping box is not corrugated cardboard. It's about the thickness of the cardboard behind a pad of paper.

digimac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2005, 04:51 AM

My G5 iMac shipped in its white box. No other box or paper round it.
Box was a wee bit battered but the foam etc in the box seemed to have the actual computer well protected

sray
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 04:26 PM

Double boxed. Came in a large discreet brown box. I cut it open and the familiar white apple packaging slipped out. Very discreet (compared to the 22" ACD I bought a few years ago, which came in its white box). Btw, this is the new iSight iMac.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 25, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by sray
Double boxed. Came in a large discreet brown box. I cut it open and the familiar white apple packaging slipped out. Very discreet (compared to the 22" ACD I bought a few years ago, which came in its white box). Btw, this is the new iSight iMac.
My laptops and my iMac all shipped in a brown cardboard box, which was the exact size to fit the normal white box.

Timan
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 05:40 PM

I'm so afraid what my new iMac will look like when I get it. I ordered .mac the same day still has yet to arrive (its been on a truck for delivery for 2 days) UPS YUK.

Do you guys know if they use ups to ship computers like that or do they use some other sort of service?
- Tim

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sray
Double boxed. Came in a large discreet brown box.
Similar in my case with a Powerbook. From the posts above, I guess that packaging depends on the local carrier. I am in Europe by the way.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 06:36 PM

The carrier doesn't pack the unit, Apple does.

tooki

powerbookuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 06:47 PM

Yeah double boxed in a descreet brown box. All the way from Shanghai to Yorkshire, England without a scratch on the box! TNT did good!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2005, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
The carrier doesn't pack the unit, Apple does.
That sounds reasonable, but why Apple would pack the units in a different way, according (seemingly) to destination?

Forum Links
Forum Rules