Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 58)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Picture dump
New storage room in progress
5069/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
The machines that make it possible
Next challenge: Build a workroom where you can press a button/lever that will retrieve the desired resource without you having to visit that graveyard of boxes.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Next challenge: Build a workroom where you can press a button/lever that will retrieve the desired resource without you having to visit that graveyard of boxes.
Resouce? Why would I want to get a resource? Press button for Geothermal Generator, press button for Glass Wire...
Unfortunately there's no way to access the item type slot on a condenser

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2012, 08:40 AM

That's a great idea with automatic crafting tables, though I suspect you're not going to be able to set one up for any contingency...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2012, 09:57 AM

I think you missed one of my posts.

5177/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 27, 2012, 12:34 PM

For those of us still visiting the server, I believe Blaze updated the map.

andi*pandi
Aug 27, 2012, 02:46 PM

I've been away for a week, what did I miss? Hmm, let's see...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2012, 06:25 AM

Question for tekkit folks – for work area machines that are used for smaller more infrequent processes, would you use the upgraded machines (i.e., a Rotary Macerator, Singularity Compressor, etc.) vs. the regular version sporting several overclocks? I ask because it seems like a lot of time is wasted doing one stack of coal in a rotary macerator when it takes so long to start spinning up.

Edit: I suppose I could just make sure they're "always on" by finding somewhere to add a redstone current, but I'd have to make sure the drain isn't too high.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2012, 08:44 AM

I have 2 induction furnaces, 3 rotary macerators, a singularity compressor and the extractor whatever that is. In "hot" standby they draw ~6eu/t. It takes them half an hour to drain a MFE.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2012, 09:10 AM

While I'm sure I could probably get set-up to afford that, I kind of like knowing processing is done when the machines go silent.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2012, 03:42 PM

They don't make allot of noise when they're idle and kept hot. Though my sound is really buggy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2012, 03:47 PM

On my tekkit all the redstone-on machines make the sound like they are running all the time, changing the volume silences them for good until tekkit re-starts. Also, sometimes the mobs are silent, which is unnerving.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 07:36 AM

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I'm having some weird issues crop up. In my new quarry a cow appeared twice in the same spot (underground), then a pig appeared in my new work area (deep inside my house), followed by a chicken in my old work lair (all over the course of two days). Then I went to work on my adopted town last night and I realized all the testificates are missing.

I'm weirded out that this stuff happens after I've been playing on the updated version for weeks.

(My FPS also took a shit late last night. I think I'll be backing up my current save real soon. I already had to pull my waypoints from an earlier save because they mysteriously all disappeared)

---

If I remember, tonight I'm going to do a test of a rotary macerator vs. an maxed out overclocked using one stack of ore to see who wins.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2012, 02:59 PM

5260/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Action shot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2012, 06:45 AM

I'm not sure what I'm looking at – other than a volcano.

---

I did my macerator test last night, and it wasn't even close. A regular macerator with 12 overclocks vs. a cold rotary macerator was able to process an entire stack of iron in the time the rotary macerator got 14 done (The caveat being that I manually had to remove the first stack of macerated ore from the vanilla macerator for it to continue).

I then reduced the macerator to 8 overclocks, and against a rotary macerator that hadn't stopped working (i.e., partly warmed up) and with ~20 ore left, it still beat it out to empty with another full stack. Case closed. For short term work, overclocks are the way to go.

---

Started working with world anchors. A little flddly, and since their AoE is controlled but low, I feel like I have to place a lot of them. I've set-up a second Quarry underneath my adopted town (low enough that it won't remove the sandstone holding up the sand) and linked it to my sorting area at home. It's quite cool to see two quarry's worth of material flying through the tubes.

andi*pandi
Aug 30, 2012, 07:13 AM

Tree nearing completion, but needed glowstone... to the nether. Then in boredom, taunted some pigmen. Death resulted.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2012, 07:19 AM

I'm not sure what I'm looking at – other than a volcano.
But its actively erupting. It's not like that all the time.

It's quite cool to see two quarry's worth of material flying through the tubes.
I've had two quarries for quite some time. Soon that mountain will be no more.

[quote name=andi*pandi], taunted some pigmen. Death resulted.[/quote]
I haven't tried it in vanilla, but in my tekkit world there are iron golems guarding my nether portals to keep the pigmen numbers down. They're not smart about heights or fire though. With their height of 3 and reach of 2 it should be possible to set it up so they can walk along a rail but not on it and keep the pigment off it.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 30, 2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Tree nearing completion, but needed glowstone... to the nether. Then in boredom, taunted some pigmen. Death resulted.
You know, so many of my adventures in Minecraft end with the same sentence. "Death resulted."

Looking at Blaze's volcano, I wonder if we need a giant volcano on the server somewhere?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2012, 10:48 AM

But its actively erupting. It's not like that all the time.
Oh. I may have seen one like that on my world.

I've had two quarries for quite some time. Soon that mountain will be no more.
I haven't had the capacity, time, or need til now. I spent last weekend designing and relaying out my lair for greater storage, sorting, and automation, so its only been this week that I could afford to do such a thing without babaysitting it. I still have tweaks to make, however.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 1, 2012, 04:37 AM

hey blaze, did the server go down?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2012, 06:17 AM

No but I failed in my attempt at upgrading my cable modem. And my lan ip changed oops.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2012, 06:15 PM

So I decided to further my mining operation by adding three more quarries. I finally got around to making use of RedPower's conductive pipes and now the juice is teleported via a single energy link hooked to the MFSU in the Factory. The quarries run off of one power "channel" sent from three different power teleport pipes off the energy link. My 4 MV arrays appear to still be up to the task, and during the day with all the advanced machines always on the MFSU stays fully charged. At night, the power starts to drop dramatically, but now I've got so much extra EMC lying around adding MV arrays or even upping to one HV would solve any energy problems.

I've also just finished upgrading my Energy Collecting array (one condensor, 5 Relays, 13 Collectors) to a full Mk3 setup. Now I am using it to condense more Mk3 Collectors and Relays. Eventually I will able to have 6 such setups on the factory roof collecting and condensing absurd amounts of EMC. Maybe I'll build a house out of Diamond Blocks.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2012, 05:47 AM

You only need one source pipe and any pipes set to that frequency will draw power from. Also thanks for reminding me the markers let you make a larger than 9x9 hole but mine are usually up in the air.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2012, 05:21 PM

Well I started using only one 'source' power outlet and one of the Quarries wasn't even building itself, adding two more source powers on the same frequency immediately made everything speed up.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2012, 10:30 AM

I'll tell you what, you keep a Mass Fabricator running on scrap and power drain becomes manageable. I created a set-up where it only activates during day-light (so Solar Panel generation off-sets power consumption), and is regulated by having to draw an LV-power stream to further hamper the drain. It's worked pretty well so far, I now just need to create some larger scrap reserves.

I also doubled the amount of LV Arrays I have (removing my energy collectors in the process for the time being). I have to say, crafting them in my new set-up was actually kind of enjoyable. My new work area is well organized and with my overclocked machines, picking up stray resources was quick. I'm going to begin working toward MV arrays because of this.

My take-over of the village is nearing completion. My backlog f images is adding up and yet I persist in lazily not posting.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2012, 11:14 AM

So I've been scouring the Yogcast forums for a tekkit server, non-PvP, and I've found a couple ones that could be promising. Sent my requests to the admin(s) and just waiting to hear back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2012, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I realized my coreduo iMac likely couldn't handle running a server. I'm not sure I could upgrade it to the necessary OS version.

We could look into renting one.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2012, 11:26 AM

If the price is right, I'm down. Also would be cool to get Blaze in on this as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2012, 11:29 AM

First site I clicked on was $8 a month for 4 players.

My only caveats would be merging our maps and everyone gets admin powers.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2012, 11:37 AM

So I take it starting from scratch again doesn't sound appetizing? Heh.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2012, 11:43 AM

Oh god no. It's not a resources thing so much as a set-up thing. I'm constantly refining my processes and having to start from scratch would be disheartening. I may be very far into the game as far as tekkit is concerned but I still have lots of ideas and challenges I want to delve into that starting from scratch would post-pone indefinitely.

I'm currently delving deeper into EE, working on my first home away from home, still haven't gotten into rail systems, need to polish my lair, have two quarries in progress, and still am working on expanding power sources. That's a lot to do yet.

Edit: And I still haven't finished my big project. (Made more minute progress this weekend but also added another idea for it))

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2012, 11:58 AM

Setting up just the machines and piping again would be a huge pain for me, that's for sure. Copying over my factory would be a very good leg up on the new world.

Okay, so something weird is happening in my world....all the new ores are gone. I didn't realize it, but this has been going on for a while. My 4 huge quarries have yielded not even a single bar of Copper, flying around underground with the Destruction Catalyst shows the same thing....all of the new ores, gems, uranium, etc... are no longer present in my tekkit world.....wtf?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2012, 12:01 PM

That is weird. I hope that doesn't occur to me as well (though I've been constantly converting Copper & Tin to materials since they keep going in danger of filling a chest)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2012, 12:07 PM

I always keep one of everything around, so it's not like converting EMC into anything I want is difficult, I just find this situation very odd.

Not to mention, this makes my extra 3 quarries pretty pointless now, as there isn't much to be mined out of the ground anymore.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2012, 12:11 PM

On the bright side I think copper is one of the most worthless of ores, EE wise. But it has to add up taking maceration into account.

Nothing one collector couldn't negate, probably.

andi*pandi
Sep 4, 2012, 12:14 PM

Had to go back to the Nether for more glowstone. Due to lag, when putting out a fire I accidently hit a pigman and aggro'd his whole tribe. Lost all my lovely glowstone and could not fight my way back to get it. Luckily my part of the nether is relatively untouched and there was more out there... but still. Rargh!

Anyone else notice lag?

There have been Jawbone sightings. I repeat, there have been Jawbone sightings.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2012, 12:14 PM

I'm just bummed that the density of stuff is so much lower now, Copper might be pretty worthless, but it's an added bonus alongside everything else. Not to mention no Uranium and no Gems.

Sooooooo, about that server?

Also, what do we use to copy our bases over?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2012, 12:19 PM

Oh, I misread that. I thought you said you had everything but copper.

That is a problem. Googling help?

I know my first night I panicked because I was mining and didn't find any new ores for a while. But a quarry has to be way more thorough.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2012, 02:59 PM

Had to go back to the Nether for more glowstone. Due to lag, when putting out a fire I accidently hit a pigman and aggro'd his whole tribe. Lost all my lovely glowstone and could not fight my way back to get it. Luckily my part of the nether is relatively untouched and there was more out there... but still. Rargh!
Anyone else notice lag?
There have been Jawbone sightings. I repeat, there have been Jawbone sightings.
It may have been better to wait and have someone else go in and pick your stuff up. I don't recall if the pigman aggro is for all users or not.Your stuff won't despawn while your not in the nether. But you'd have to go elsewhere in the nether to get glowstone.

On a tekkit front i started a new technic world because I wanted logistics pipe. d have to build a room sized machine with probably 2 computers to do what those pipes do. I'm currently hampered by a lack of ender pearls due to all the other mobs added and the anti ogre defenses killing the ones I managed to bait over.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2012, 03:02 PM

First site I clicked on was $8 a month for 4 players.
My only caveats would be merging our maps and everyone gets admin powers.
So I should be charging you guys $25 a month

You guys are gonna push me into updating my NAS with all this. I have the network card and ssd sitting right there.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2012, 03:34 PM

You guys are gonna push me into updating my NAS with all this. I have the network card and ssd sitting right there.

Hehe

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 5, 2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

Hehe
Trust me, Blaze is a really nice guy. That said... I do not recommend poking him with a stick. He has a tendency to poke back... aggressively.

(speaking of which, Blaze, I'll have two new fencing blades the next time we see each other. Better than what we used in college, eh?)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
(speaking of which, Blaze, I'll have two new fencing blades the next time we see each other. Better than what we used in college, eh?)
Hey, hey, hey, no pretending to be cool on the internet.

---

Question for the OG server folks. Anyone ever run into the Mushroom biome in all your travels?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2012, 06:46 AM

On a tekkit front i started a new technic world because I wanted logistics pipe. d have to build a room sized machine with probably 2 computers to do what those pipes do. I'm currently hampered by a lack of ender pearls due to all the other mobs added and the anti ogre defenses killing the ones I managed to bait over.
Technic? That's hardcore. I gave it a brief whirl but the depth was daunting and I'm don't think it suits me – it seems more survival based.

So I should be charging you guys $25 a month
Alright, serious talk. sek and I are really gung-ho to try this online (though I have my reservations about map merging, world anchors, etc.). I know you're not too concerned about associated costs, but as with the OG server, we're both willing to fork out some dough to blunt costs, as a token of appreciation, or in respect to your time and contribution. If our contributing somehow would make this possible, I think we could all agree that playing on the server of an internet acquaintance would be preferable to the faceless unknown quantity that would be hosting services (Assuming we can all agree on whatever caveats you would employ in offering such a thing).

I completely understand if this idea doesn't appeal to you, given most of what we've been able to offer so far is just gratitude.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 07:04 AM

I could have a second server sunning on my MacPro tonight that you could at least log into. Merging worlds depends on if mcedit can handle all the mod blocks. I'll have to try it out tonight to see if it works. If it does then the best best is to strip naked and put your stuff in chests. Then I can use the player files from the other world and edit your locations to were ever your stuff gets copied.

Re technic, there have only been two issues, anti ogre defences since they can destroy all but marble, bassalt and obsidian (thru 2 blocks), and I had to move since my starter home/mine was within loaded chunk range of some creep taint. Four days in and I have Nano armor, a few blocks of irridum ore, my infinite geothermal power loop, and four energy collectors. I burned through most of my stored EMC last night making the power crystals for the armor and MFE. Next is relocating and expanding the energy collector arrays while the mass fabricator runs so I can get the flight ring.

andi*pandi
Sep 5, 2012, 07:39 AM

I have never seen a mooshroom biome on the server.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 08:00 AM

I haven't either. And I have looked. Supposedly distance from spawn matters so I was probably going the wrong way. We need to send our 4 fastest ships, one in each direction.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 5, 2012, 08:08 AM

[quote name="BLAZE_MkIV"]I haven't either. And I have looked. Supposedly distance from spawn matters so I was probably going the wrong way. We need to send our 4 fastest ships, one in each direction.[/quote]

I've got a settlement east of the halfway house now, so I'll take a boat and head that-a-way. Why? Um, why not?

[quote name =The Final Dakar]Hey, hey, hey, no pretending to be cool on the internet. [/quote]
heh. funny guy. fencing isn't cool. bow ties are cool... or so they say.

cycl0pse

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
fencing isn't cool.
Oh it totally is. Captain Picard did it.

I have never seen a mooshroom biome on the server.

I haven't either. And I have looked
Just curious. Between seeing the grass block in NEI and seeing it in some vids I'm curious enough to see one (let alone inhabit it).

I wonder if I can make some of the blocks with UU matter, or if the terraformer could transform and area into Mushroom. (I'll look into it)

Re technic, there have only been two issues, anti ogre defences since they can destroy all but marble, bassalt and obsidian (thru 2 blocks), and I had to move since my starter home/mine was within loaded chunk range of some creep taint. Four days in and I have Nano armor, a few blocks of irridum ore, my infinite geothermal power loop, and four energy collectors. I burned through most of my stored EMC last night making the power crystals for the armor and MFE. Next is relocating and expanding the energy collector arrays while the mass fabricator runs so I can get the flight ring.
Damn son, you must have getting started down to a science because that sounds hella quick.

I could have a second server sunning on my MacPro tonight that you could at least log into. Merging worlds depends on if mcedit can handle all the mod blocks. I'll have to try it out tonight to see if it works. If it does then the best best is to strip naked and put your stuff in chests. Then I can use the player files from the other world and edit your locations to were ever your stuff gets copied.
I'm not in a super rush per se, (over the weekend would be cool but still not necessary) but sek definitely is deadset on experiencing tekkit online. I selfishly volunteer to upload my map for the base of the server in the interim – we were talking last night and there is no foreseeable way I will leave the map given the time I've put it. At worst if we can't merge maps we can at least use NEI do get you guys up and running to comparable levels once you scout suitable locations.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2012, 08:27 AM

The answer is I can make Mycelium with UU matter, and I can make a Mushroom Biome with a terraformer, but the latter is (very?) buggy.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 08:34 AM

Damn son, you must have getting started down to a science because that sounds hella quick.
One think in Technic that makes day 1 super fast? Chop the bottom block of a tree with an axe and the whole thing falls. My tree farm design were I plant a long row of saplings? The effect crosses to any other trees were wood touches.

I managed to find about 6 diamond fairly early and went for an energy collector ASAP. Built a macerator to double the EMC of all the tin and copper ore. Saving only samples of everything high EMC and dumped the rest into the transmutation tablet to get the second collector.

Now that I've got the nano armor and have only lava to fear, next is a alchemy bag so I can make a long duration spelunking trip down at diamond level to get enough EMC for redmatter.

Oh and tekkit folks, before the 1.3 update to tekkit use some uu-matter to make water blocks in case that changes since Ice won't melt into water in the nether anymore. Though if your using NEI nevermind. I wonder if the energy condenser will duplicate water blocks...

Forum Links
Forum Rules