Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Huge SS/APE bug

Huge SS/APE bug
jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 05:38 PM

Yeah yeah, everyone always gets crapped on for blaming SS for everything that goes wrong with their system, but I dunno what else it could be. I updated to 10.3.3 last night, and saw this afternoon that SS 1.2 was out. I had always had problems with APE and SS, so I didn't have it installed. But I saw what was changed so I'd figure I'd give it a try. Really I just wanted to try out Swiz's Simple X theme.

So I go through the whole setup. It installed APE for me and told me to log out/restart to have the changes take affect. I restarted. X starts to boot and I get that blue designed background. That's it, nothing else. No login window, no finder, no dock, nothing. I can't do anything at all. However, cmd-option-escape is recognized (although there are no apps listed in the list), hitting the power button brings up the shut down prompt, but I can't restart (I hit the button and it does nothing). I can't log out to get to another user, nothing.

Now, this is EXACTLY what had happened before when I had tried SS. And nothing had changed in my config except for installing APE and SS. So either APE or SS is doing this.

After reinstalling X, I've decided to keep SS off of my system. I'm only posting this because it seems like a major bug and the devs may want to look into it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 05:43 PM

This happened to me several times on my old powerbook G4, long LONG before SS was available. So I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with ShapeShifter.

I wish I could help you out, but unfortunately I never figured out what caused it. I allways ended up formatting the drive and doing a fresh OS install.

revmitcz
Mar 16, 2004, 05:45 PM

I don't think you'll get flamed for posting a bug report about SS/APE. I mean, it stands to reason that with your described setup - SS/APE is responsible, but I doubt they're solely responsible.

If you want the developers to look into it - you should prolly post if you have any 3rd party extensions, PCI/AGP cards, firewire/USB devices, etc. etc. etc. If this weird error was common, I'm sure they'd have had it fixed by now - and I doubt they've ever even heard of this kind of thing before. I'm not a developer myself, but I'd venture to say it's impossible to fix something you've got no way of reproducing (I design websites, and error reproduction is an important step in that, as well - so I'm kinda in that boat).

Please understand - I'm not flaming you - I respect that you were very respectful and calm w/your post. I'm just trying to... help you help you. Err... help you help them to help you. Yeah.

Best of luck.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
This happened to me several times on my old powerbook G4, long LONG before SS was available. So I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with ShapeShifter.

I wish I could help you out, but unfortunately I never figured out what caused it. I allways ended up formatting the drive and doing a fresh OS install.
This is a brand new hard drive, and I had just installed 10.3.3. Why would the sudden just pop up after installing APE/SS if it they weren't the culprit? And why does it not happen with those programs removed?

Edit - Oh, and revmitcz - you're right, I should've posted that stuff.

iBook 700, no 3rd party extensions (in fact, APE was installed solely for SS), no usb/firewire devices hooked up... The only thing not standard about my config is an aquified Safari.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules