Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > COD: Black Ops thread

COD: Black Ops thread (Page 6)
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 01:19 PM

I guess the map styles are much better for me, because I'm having a lot more success than I was in MW2. Which is a little weird given Jawbone's comment because I tend to camp (moving around to set up ambushes) more than not.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2010, 01:49 PM

I'm not sure that it doesn't make perfect sense, actually.

I tend to run and gun about 90% of the time. I make use of claymores (or claymore, now that BO doesn't allow for a second when using Scavenger), but I can't hold an area for longer than about two-three minutes. I become restless and have to split. I got better about it on MW2, but the open maps in BO prompt me to even more action.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2010, 02:33 PM

Here's my take:

The change in play comes down to three things.

The map design is more complicated and there are far more back alleys and routes to take. I think Jawbone said earlier in this thread that most buildings that would have had 2 entrances in MW2 now have 4-5. I've also noticed a heavy use of two-story buildings having entrances from both floors via grade height or staircases. At any rate, holding down a building is no easy task, especially one in a contested area.

The weapons have shifted away from medium-long range focus to medium-short range. This also has to do with the more convoluted maps and less line-of-sight available. More and more I see the AK74u being used by everyone, and it really is one of the better weapons in the entire game. Most of the time I can net a kill from a decent distance and still be able to win close battles. As opposed to engaging enemies at a distance most of time (for me at least) kills or deaths take place rather close together.

The spawning makes the whole game turned upside-down. I am starting to apply a new strategy due to the horrid spawning. If you spawn and see and enemy running away from you, don't even think about chasing him. Instead run perpendicular to his route and you will find at least one to two enemies who have also spawned and would have been behind you had you given the first guy chase. I also have started to spin around and run backwards directly after spawn before proceeding into battle.

All in all it is a much more hectic game, people run n gun like never before and round corners with the trigger half-pulled.

Also, also.... The hit markers you are seeing are also dubious at best (there's that word again Dakar) You may get '4' hit markers and get downed by '2' when in reality you received one real hit and he got three. I think there is an inherent amount of lag present no matter the connection and I hope they can fix it in a patch. The ever-present lag makes the "I got the drop on him!" comment still valid, but in reality he got the drop on you.

Rumor
Nov 17, 2010, 02:46 PM

My roommate picked this up so I'll give this a shot if I can find time.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The map design is more complicated and there are far more back alleys and routes to take. I think Jawbone said earlier in this thread that most buildings that would have had 2 entrances in MW2 now have 4-5. I've also noticed a heavy use of two-story buildings having entrances from both floors via grade height or staircases. At any rate, holding down a building is no easy task, especially one in a contested area.
All true, leading me to depend even more on a run-and-gun style. I've always been restless, but still depended on med/long shots. Now that's really not an option.

The weapons have shifted away from medium-long range focus to medium-short range. This also has to do with the more convoluted maps and less line-of-sight available. More and more I see the AK74u being used by everyone, and it really is one of the better weapons in the entire game. Most of the time I can net a kill from a decent distance and still be able to win close battles. As opposed to engaging enemies at a distance most of time (for me at least) kills or deaths take place rather close together.
Since I lived and died by the FAMAS on MW2, this has shaken me up. So many of my kills in that game happened from beyond 25 yards.

Reading what you guys wrote about the AK74u earlier, I based one of my top classes around it. I've found some limited success, but after being an AR guy for so long, I'm still a bit off.

The spawning makes the whole game turned upside-down. I am starting to apply a new strategy due to the horrid spawning. If you spawn and see and enemy running away from you, don't even think about chasing him. Instead run perpendicular to his route and you will find at least one to two enemies who have also spawned and would have been behind you had you given the first guy chase. I also have started to spin around and run backwards directly after spawn before proceeding into battle.
I'm stealing all of this.

All in all it is a much more hectic game, people run n gun like never before and round corners with the trigger half-pulled.
...which is fun, as long as you don't have more than two bad matches in a row. I love this game -- I just have to acclimate myself to the differences.

Also, also.... The hit markers you are seeing are also dubious at best (there's that word again Dakar) You may get '4' hit markers and get downed by '2' when in reality you received one real hit and he got three. I think there is an inherent amount of lag present no matter the connection and I hope they can fix it in a patch. The ever-present lag makes the "I got the drop on him!" comment still valid, but in reality he got the drop on you.
They absolutely have to fix this. There are times that the lag has been obvious, but others when I don't realize it until I have a face-off and know I connected first.

I saw the list of upcoming patches. Hopefully this gets better.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2010, 03:25 PM

These two statements make perfect sense to me and might explain partly why I am getting hammered. It does seem to me like someone comes around a corner and is practically shooting me before he can even see me, i.e., I'm dead the moment I see him and start to fire. If he is practically shooting before rounding the corner and/or he sees me before I see him due to lag, that might explain why it seems guys are killing me before I even see them and get the chance to fire.

Alternatively, I just plain suck. Damn you Occam's razor.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2010, 08:37 PM

I'll crack the egg of knowledge (and video game analysis) on you guys tomorrow.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2010, 02:09 AM

I expect a biting commentary.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 06:03 AM

The change in play comes down to three things.

Very true. Plus the ****-up of a party system doesn't help.

Yeah, long shots are very rare for me. MW2 I used to get quite a few per game.

Sounds like good advice. This is one of the reasons I'm playing S&D.

I'm SOOOOO glad that other people are experiencing this. I assumed from your K/D that you were just kicking arse like in MW2. I was starting to get worried that it was my network connection until last night. I had several 4 bar S&D and std TDM games. And did very well.

As an aside, I want the extra slots for some more classes, but I'm not going to do the Prestiging thing over and over again. I'm hearing of prestige lobbies, so if you suddenly see me jump several levels, its because I've hacked.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 08:52 AM

Wow. Just ... wow.

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov. 11, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Shattering its own day-one sales record, Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced that Treyarch's highly-anticipated Call of Duty®: Black Ops has become the biggest entertainment launch ever with an estimated sell-through of approximately $360 million in North America and the United Kingdom alone in the first 24 hours of its release, as compared to last year's estimated day-one sell-through of $310 million for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare® 2 in North America and the United Kingdom, according to internal Activision estimates.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Wow. Just ... wow.
I call it the (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Effect. Oasis tore it up in '95 with that album, leading up to a much anticipated Be Here Now selling like hotcakes its first week and becoming the fastest selling album in british history (at the time I'm sure).

What I'm saying is, it's riding Modern Warfare's Corpse's coattails. I'm curious if it can sustain those sales.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 11:32 AM

Call of Duty: Black Ops

11/17 (full title update)
· Improved matchmaking to find matches significantly faster
· Improved matchmaking to ensure that players are more effectively matched to games with the best networking conditions
· Improved host selection to ensure that the best host is always selected in the pre-game lobby
· Improved party system to ensure that parties don’t get broken apart
· Disable ability to join Private Match, Combat Training and Theater lobbies when searching for Player Match games
· Server-side and game-side changes to decrease the amount of failed Film uploads
· Weekly and Monthly leaderboards will now track all kills, deaths and assists properly (All Time leaderboards were not affected by this)
· Prevention of Combat Training stats getting crossed with Player Match stats under rare conditions
· Prevention of temporary loss of functionality when a button was being held down at the point of a disconnect
· Additional fine-tuning of audio levels and ranges for footsteps and gunfire
· Additional fine-tuning of audio levels for bomb plants/defuses
· Additional online security enhancements

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I call it the (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Effect. Oasis tore it up in '95 with that album, leading up to a much anticipated Be Here Now selling like hotcakes its first week and becoming the fastest selling album in british history (at the time I'm sure).

What I'm saying is, it's riding Modern Warfare's Corpse's coattails. I'm curious if it can sustain those sales.
Me too, but I think that they'll be pleased so far.

Call of Duty Black Ops set a five-day record for getting people to part with their money, according to its creators today. $650 million in copies sold around the world in the span of a work week.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 12:18 PM

Actually, that's what I was referring to.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 12:49 PM

OMG you guys are in for a very, very long analysis. It's starting to look like I should break it up into multiple posts.

On the bright side, I'm killing time my first day back at work quite effectively.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 02:22 PM

Multi-posts incoming. There may be a few odd errors thanks to TextEdit.

Black Ops Breakdown: Part I
Matchmaking

Where it all starts. Treyarch did a lot of stuff I here I like.

Improvements:
• Party Leader now has full control over the party. No more "Everyone back out"
• Color coating – Party members are easier to spot in the lobby
• Quick menu – easy access to your friends list for organizing
• Treyarch optimized the game for Party Chat compatibility

Negatives:
• It's impossible for members of a party to tell when a match is being searched for
• It's impossible for a party leader to communicate with his party while searching for a match
• It's impossible for the leader of a party to tell when a problem has occurred
• Quick Menu – No quick ability to scroll with the triggers (MS UI). When someone logs off, you will find yourself in the middle of your friend's list having scroll back up to the top manually.
• Finding a game with as little as two people is utterly broken.
• Lobbies will inexplicably get zero traffic (No joins)

Analysis
I can't give a final score to this portion of the game until I try the new update. Overall, I like their improvements to the party system (some of which can be overcome by creating a party chat, whose integration I consider one of the highlights of the game). If the MM issues aren't resolved, however, I'd trade all the improvements for MW2s old MM system that (mostly) worked.

(I spent over 15 minutes last night trying to get a game with a party of 5. When a game was found, I was booted. I was able to join the lobby and was luckily placed on my friends' team. A few games later I was booted from the lobby and could not rejoin thanks to an error. Really bizarre stuff)

I don't consider the Quick Menu issues too severe, but I would think it scales with Friend's list size. I imagine around 50 it would be too irritating to use.

Bottom line: Treyarch adds a bungie-like polish to parties and partying. MW2 had its own share of MM problems at launch, but none were ever this broken.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 02:24 PM

Black Ops Breakdown: Part II
The Unlock/XP/(Insert pointless COD Dollar sign logo here) System

Pros:
• All Attachments unlock from start
• All Equipment unlocked from start
• All Perks unlocked at start
• All Killstreaks unlocked from start

Push:
• Now you earn XP and Money each game.
• Contracts can increase those earnings, but offerings are limited by both time and seemingly arbitrary weapon choices.
• More character customization has been added, but it costs money. And some of it has requirements
• You can buy almost any weapon camo you like. Once you get to the level they let you do it at
• Instead of unlocking backgrounds by completing challenges or level, you now unlock them by purchasing them. But some are still locked by level
• You buy the right to use emblems. You must also buy these emblems. Layers also increase in cost for no reason
• You now work towards level 50, but the leveling speed seems similar to 70

Cons:
• Guns are locked not only by level, but by odd purchase requirements as well
• Pro Perks now have convoluted requirements to unlock, often requiring counterintuitive gameplay at best, other non-preferred gametype gameplay at worst
• The challenge system feels relegated to obscurity
• Experimentation is disincetivised
• There are 15 Prestiges now. Custom classes still unlock until 9

Analysis:
I think they took a step in the right direction by removing the unlock system, but they then added a layer of complexity and arbitrariness that detracts from it. Why are weapons locked at start? Why can't I view my combat record until level 13? Why can't I paint my face, or add an emblem to my gun until later levels?

It's all arbitrary, and while so was MW2s unlock system, it was far simpler, and promoted trying different weapons and perks out as you did your climb.

A better system, would be to offer so many unlocks at start, and earn unlocks as you level. Each unlock would work on any weapon, perk, killstreak, or equipment. Weapons would come with one free attachment unlock, with the ability to earn more through any kills.

Bottom line: Right idea (almost everything unlocked), convoluted integration (money, money, money).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2010, 04:56 PM

Apparently, money does not carry over after prestige mode...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 04:58 PM

Well, on the bright side it's plentiful. But I'm not surprised. The ability to just create your 5 classes fresh off prestige does seem overpowered.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2010, 05:03 PM

Oh yeah, I took a film clip of an ass-kicking moment from last night and I have run into a huge problem trying to get it to Youtube.

I tried to create a new account via the Black Ops website, but it told me the email I used was already in use, then I remembered I had created an account to log in to WaW online. So I login but all it says is "sek929 logged in" and there is no information pertaining to my gamertag.

WTF?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 05:06 PM

Keep reloading. The Black Ops site is wiggy as hell. I'll log in and the top right will list USERNAME or Log in. And then I do it again and it loads.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 05:23 PM

Two more for the day.

Black Ops Breakdown: Parts III & IV

Explosives/Tactical/Equipment:

Pros:
• Grenade and Claymores
• Introduction of Nova Gas
• Introduction of Decoy

Push:
• Tomahawk replaces the Throwing Knife

Cons:
• None.

Analysis:
I like most of what they've done here, though allowing everyone to start with claymores feels like an odd (but so far not unwise) decision. The most likely explanation was to move Claymores from a section that is being replenished by Scavenger. I can't complain, but I have some tweaks I'd introduce.

Basically, move the Flak Jacket and Tactical Mask to equipment, joining the Camera Spike, Motion Sensor, Jammer, and Tac Insert. Then move the C4 and Claymore back to the first slot.

Still, I admit Treyarch's approach is probably more balanced, as the Flak jacket and Tac Mask both reduce damage, something none of the other equipment can achieve.

Bottom Line: Well done.

-----

Weapons

Pros:
• Ballistic Knife and Crossbow added
• No more quickscoping
• Sight customizations can be useful

Push:
• Offerings appear more limited than MW2
• SMGs have been buffed to the point that they are arguably equal to ARs
• The best LMG appears to be an Assault Rifle in style, magazine, and rate of fire
• Recoil doesn't seem to be consistent, between weapons or classes

Cons:
• Shotguns have been moved back to primaries, possibly buffed as a result
• M16 nerfed for the masses
• Snipers super-nerfed to the brink of unusability
• Suppressors don't seem to affect recoil appreciably
• The unlock system.

Analysis:
There's not a whole lot here that happened to like. The game suffers from moving back 40-50 years in arms choices, but that doesn't fully explain some of the gameplay changes. The choices made do scream of a fan service, but to a degree that feels like playing to the audience rather than making well though-out gameplay decisions.

The biggest change is sniping, which has been effectively marginalized. I'm somewhat loathe to repeat previous takes on situation, but I believed the solution was to introduced exaggerated sway when standing, and at initial scope. The latter has occurred, but they went too far. Going too far will be a repeated theme in this game's breakdown.

Touching on two other issues early, the absence of stopping power increases the necessity of headshots with sniper rifles, something absent from most quickscopes in MW2. Add the dodgy hit detection system (People were getting hitmarkers in MW2 as well) and what you have is a recipe for disaster. And that's what the sniping in this game is, a disaster. Removing stopping power and removing sleight of hand's scoping bonus were likely enough to combat quickscoping.

I'll touch on recoil later.

Bottom line: Offerings take a step back, sniping is now pointless.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 05:39 PM

TREYARCH !!! TREYARCH ?!?!

FIX THE ****IN SPAWNING WILL YA FOR ****S SAKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not even funny anymore.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 05:39 PM

The spawns will never be fixed. That's a fundamental programming issue (IMO). We are all ****ed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2010, 05:44 PM

I forget if I posted this: Black Ops | DenKirson on Xanga

The overall conclusion one reaches is you shouldn't bother with anything other than the Ak-47u (w/grip), FAMAS, G11, or Stoner63.

Awesome graphics, though:

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2010, 04:24 AM

Big brass balls difficulty complete...

If you do decide to go through it, it's not as bad as WaW. Only a couple parts were frustrating.

Time to really get the feet wet in multiplayer and Nazi Zombies.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2010, 09:55 AM

The spawns will never be fixed. That's a fundamental programming issue (IMO). We are all ****ed.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2010, 09:58 AM

If the East coast based players don't mind, I may try and connect to a game or two of yours tonight. If I get shot too much by Dakar then I'll of course quit in a rage and blame network issues. May not have a mike though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Time to really get the feet wet in multiplayer
WE"VE HEARD THAT BEFORE

If the East coast based players don't mind, I may try and connect to a game or two of yours tonight. If I get shot too much by Dakar then I'll of course quit in a rage and blame network issues. May not have a mike though.
Depends on the time, but I likely won't be on tonight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 11:09 AM

Black Ops Breakdown: Parts V & VI
Perks

Pros:
• Simplified
• Removal of Stopping Power allows for more Perk 2 variety

Push:
• Commando is gone, but it's ghost lingers (i.e., a lunge still exists)
• Flak jacket and Tatical Mask seem better suited as equipment
• Scavenger no longer refills the grenade launcher or claymores; Danger Close has been removed
• Lightweight and Marathon can still be combined

Cons:
• Pro Perks now have convoluted requirements to unlock, often requiring counterintuitive gameplay at best, other non-preferred gametype gameplay at worst.
• Ghost no longer masks the player from killstreaks until Pro
• Marathon still allows unlimited sprint (though pro)
• Last Stand returns, with a glitched self-revive no less

Analysis:
I'm going to save the biggest change (The removal of Stopping Power) for later. I'll start at what may appear as a strange commentary: The push on Scavenger and Danger Close.

The reason I put them together is that the flaws in either Perk only became highlighted when used in conjunction with the other (one exception: unlimited claymores). Danger Close tubers were annoying because they had virtually unlimited ammo (yes, they could get crazy multi-kills too, but that required groups of people to stick together). Did anyone complain about Danger Close Pro? Would anyone care about Danger Close if there was no OMA or Scavenger? I think the answers are no. So here is another example of Treyarch over-correcting a problem (removing a perk whose root problem was being used with another perk).

Next up: Lightweight/Marathon. This may become less of a problem if the footsteps sound issue is resolved, but until then, this is Fagmando II. Especially with the ghost of Commando still lingering.

Ghost. Infinity Ward put the screws to us by leaving cold-blooded to 24 and the Stinger around 30. Treyarch went the extra mile and just moved the aircraft masking to Pro (and good luck finding a turret to destroy without providing one). I'm also unclear on if this affects Chopper Gunner (Which is now mega-broken in conjunction with this).

Bottom Line: Put a gun to my head, I think I choose Black Ops' simplified perk system. The benefits feel like they outweigh the negatives, and I think it stands as the games best (and almost only) real gameplay improvement over Modern Warfare 2.

-----

Killstreaks

Pros:
• SR-71 allows full-on radar and ignores Ghost
• No longer count towards the next killstreak
• Care packages offer two unique killstreaks as incentive
• More balanced. There no longer seems to be clear-cut combinations to use

Push:
• Does the Mortar Strike kill people?
• Valkyrie teetering between balanced and useless
• Attach Helicopter may have gotten another nerf

Cons:
• RC-Car seems overpowered at 3
• Napalm Strikes goes through everything (Concrete, really?)
• Chopper Gunner, arguably the most powerful MW2 killstreak, feels like it got a buff
• Still can't select stacked killstreaks

Analysis:
The SR-71 feels like one of those killstreaks that was missing from MW2, so props to Treyarch there.

Killstreaks not counting towards killstreaks feels like a step in the right direction, though teeters on over-nerfing thanks to re-balancing killstreaks in general.

The RC-Car feels like the mini-predator missile, and as such, appears to be too strong a reward at 3. I'd argue its easier to get kills with the RC Car than the Valkyrie Missiles, which are the Predator Missiles. On a personal note, that last thing we need to disincetivise people from using the UAV at 3. Jerks.

I have serious issues with the napalm strike. I've been killed hiding in huts and concrete tunnels. The former is arguable. The latter is unforgivable.

The Attack Helicopter still feels dumber than its CoD4 counter-part, though it appears to fire more quickly than it's brother in MW2. In absence of cold-blooded, it may have finally found balance (But good luck finding cover).

I proposed the Chopper Gunner fix earlier. Make Ghost users invisible by default. I can't comment to strongly, other than that, as I haven't use it, but it appears to have less recoil and fire faster than it's MW2 counterpart.

Bottom line: I'll take Treyarch's killstreak set over MW2s, mostly for the SR-71. Arguably MW2s would be more balanced just by the removal of kill stacking.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 19, 2010, 11:58 AM

Although I only got a few games in last night, we had a good crew. We had some really good games and i was my usual inconsistent self going 17-4 one game and 10-13 the next, but all in all good times.
There is a few maps i absolutely cannot stand (nuketown as an example) but minus some spawn issues the multiplayer has really grown on me the last couple days, at first i was frustrated and annoyed but thats changed quickly as i got my bearings back with this style of gameplay.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 12:26 PM

I forgot how crazy dominant you can be with a large party in the early days. We really need to do this on a weekend night where everyone can go to 4 am win-streak permitting.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 01:04 PM

Oh and G11 is way OP.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2010, 01:39 PM

• Scavenger no longer refills the grenade launcher or claymores
This sucks. Does not being able to protect your arse make the game more balanced? IMHO no.

Oh and G11 is way OP.
Really? Excellent news.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2010, 02:17 PM

I forgot how crazy dominant you can be with a large party in the early days. We really need to do this on a weekend night where everyone can go to 4 am win-streak permitting.
I predicted this right away when our small lobbies were struggling to get a win. Get 6 of us together chatting it up and I dare say we are near unstoppable. We had one loss smack in the middle of what had to be around 20 wins last night, in fact I can only remember the one loss out of all the games, not bad at all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 02:18 PM

This sucks. Does not being able to protect your arse make the game more balanced? IMHO no.
This isn't the problem. Poorly designed maps and terrible spawns are the problem. And really, unlimited claymore don't strike me as a solution, even if they did exist. Don't forget you could also double-up on them in MW2, and I'm fine with that being gone as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 02:19 PM

Don't worry folks, we're nearing the finish line. The penultimate installment:
Black Ops Breakdown: Part VII
Maps

Pros:
• None?

Push:
• No camping. Like, anywhere
• No seriously, every room has more holes to fill than Jenna Jameson
• No more clear-cut desirable positions
• Maps seem overly symmetrical

Cons:
• You will get spawn-****ed. A lot
• On average, maps are smaller than MW2
• Nothing stops bullets
• Layouts feel more haphazard

Analysis:
Here we come upon one of the weakest points of this game. I come looking for Invasion and you give Favela.

I hope you understand the comparison. In MW2, Invasion was a large map whose design allowed for several points of contention. I can think of no less than four areas in the map where you could have prolonged (and exciting) firefights. In Black Ops, most maps feel like a rush to the middle, partly because that's the only place to go, partly because its the only place worth holding, and partly because its the only place you won't have someone spawn with their knife already in your back. (Ex. Summit, Cracked, Launch).

When I refer to Favela, I refer to a map that is close quarters, furiously alternating between cramped and wide-open, and prone to spawning you near people. (Ex. Havana, Hanoi, Firing Range).

You can argue camping is a problem. I can accept that. You can tell me that you prefer run n gun. I can accept that. You can tell me you enjoy chaos (see: Nuke Town). I'll accept that, too. I will tell you that this is not a fun game. You must accept that.

The game runs like what I imagine a 12 year-old dreams of. Organization is not only disincetivised, it's actively curtailed. Rooms seem designed so that any grenade that lands anywhere other than a corner will wipeout all inhabitants. Walls are so flimsy they are arguably almost decorative in nature, allowing bullets to pass through with all the resistance of Jell-O.

Even if you manage to get a larger map with more defensible positions (Ex. WMD, Hanoi, Grid) the spawn system is so completely and thoroughly ****ed it should be checked for STDs. It's not a matter of if someone will spawn behind you, just a matter of when.

Bottom line: Ignore the spawn system issues and what you have is medium-sized maps with straight-forward routes, rooms designed for fire drills, and little appreciable cover, all of which is easier to penetrate than the L.A. Clippers defense. Easily the second weakest point of the game.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2010, 02:57 PM

I'm finding now that I am starting to memorize the maps, and the battles than ensue within, I am able to pretty much play the exact same way I played MW2...by corner camping. Of course it is much harder with the amount of entrances and back alleys that are in the game, but in reality I am playing very similarly to my overall strategy I used in MW2.

However, when it comes to a group strategy I am lost thanks to most of the reason Dakar posted above. Having a whole team occupy one building is asking for the aforementioned 'nade or napalm through the walls. Having some people hold down a building while others take up positions outside leaves several routes open for getting stabbed in the back. I think the only way we've been very successful is splitting the team into two and trying to watch each-other's backs, because that's where more of the deaths come from. Of course this still usually leaves one or two avenues open for a clever enemy to get in behind all of us.

As time goes on we seem to be finding certain areas in most maps that we prefer to fight for, which at least give the game some sort of purpose. On other maps (Nuketown as the shining example) we simply run around like maniacs and try to kill before getting killed. In fact, I've been doing really well in Nuketown lately. How do I know this? I always head for the bedroom, and place a claymore to catch both entrances, and usually I remain in that room until the enemy spawn has entirely switched to my side. In the last 4 matches of Nuketown I started the game with a Napalm Strike, and in two of them I got all the way to a streak of 8 before getting ousted. Still hate the map, but at least I can make it worth my time.

Launch is my second least-favorite map. First off there is a spawn at the back that has, in the past, been just as bad if not worse than Nuketown. On a map its size that is just unforgivable. Second, there is very little high-ground, and what does exist is incredibly cramped and has limited view of the map. Third, it's symmetrical to a fault, and actually quite disorienting to navigate at times.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 03:16 PM

Launch is my second least-favorite map. First off there is a spawn at the back that has, in the past, been just as bad if not worse than Nuketown. On a map its size that is just unforgivable. Second, there is very little high-ground, and what does exist is incredibly cramped and has limited view of the map. Third, it's symmetrical to a fault, and actually quite disorienting to navigate at times.
Launch is by far one of their blandest designs, which is sad to say for a map with a ****ing rocket launch. Symmetrical, 3000 blind corners, 1500 too-open areas, and no good spots for shootouts.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 04:37 PM

...and now the final installment, uncut.
Black Ops Breakdown: Part VIII
Gameplay

Pros:
• **** you.

Push:
• No seriously, **** you.

Cons:
• Auto-aim nerfed (but somehow works through walls)
• Inconsistent recoil
• Hitmarkers of questionable veracity
• Killcams of questionable veracity
• Undecipherable damage scheme, possibly due to removal of stopping power, inconsistent recoil, inaccurate hitmarkers or all of the above
• Kill range has been reduced
• Connection matchmaking and/or quality of questionable veracity
• Client Side Hit Detection (CSHD) appears to have been changed since MW2
• Inability to retreat successfully; Inability to run by an open door and live
• Apparent nerfing of multi-kills
• Spawn system of the damned

Analysis:
I'll go down the list. Auto Aim: You could argue this is fair. I'll argue with all the other issues between increased recoil and lag, auto-aim isn't so much the luxury it's portrayed to be. The worst part is it was likely nerfed as another counter to quickscoping, as if it wasn't dead in the water already.

Recoil: By far the most confusing thing in this game for me. Unless my imagination is amazing, I have seen killcams of people who will hold down the trigger and get negligible recoil with the same weapons I use. I suppose I could yell "OMG HAX" but I see it happen a little too often to believe that. Further, I don't understand why SMGs and LMGs with higher fire rates have less than some ARs. It's boggling, but not that important.

Stopping Power & Kill Range: One of the biggest complaints about MW2 was that Assault Rifles were more effective at long distances than sniper rifles. I think the point was mostly valid (burst firing was only really required for the SCARs and TARs). Flash forward to Black Ops - Recoil has been reintroduced and Stopping Power eliminated.

Eliminating Stopping Power by itself isn't a terrible idea, until you see that Treyarch didn't adjust the damage system for weapons (which is designed to consider kill rates with or without SP) leaving many with strange damage output (ex: FAMAS does 49 damage w/headshot, meaning after two headshots you're 2 pts shy of killing a person. Stupid).

Coupled with the increase in recoil, getting long distance kills has become quite challenging. Then, note that SMGs have been buffed and come with grips that reduce their recoil and what you have left is useless snipers, nerfed ARs and solid SMGs, leading to a game that is played almost exclusively at close range (an almost comical anti-thesis to Halo). I believe we can file this under over-balancing, too. (Note: The G11 is the closest thing you'll find to a MW2 AR and Treyarch knows it because it has close to no attachments available)

Hitmarkers/Killcams/CSHD: The longer I play the more I think this is that immeasurable change that has occurred from MW2 that has vastly changed how this game handles. Going from Halo to MW2, the first thing you notice is your reaction times must increase and time-to-death decrease. This is only exacerbated in HC mode, and this is where connection quality becomes critical.

When I moved to Black Ops from MW2, I felt like I needed to a similar adaption to the reaction and times-to-death as from Halo to MW2. Considering the decrease in damage and increase in recoil, that's completely illogical.

Logic or not, it is true. Enemies get their guns up faster, seem to come around corners practically firing, and eat bullets like candy. Since the gameplay changes don't support this outcome, we're sent looking other places for the answer. I believe the first fact is that CSHD has been changed, meaning more of those hitmarkers you get are no longer being honored by the Host.

Second, the Killcams are a lie. And I don't mean in the traditional sense "This is what Host saw". No we're getting odd hybrids of host/client. This games killcams look nothing like MW2s and most are the ugliest things to behold. Hell, last night sek had host and fired early and through a solid vehicle on a final killcam for a kill. It's completely inexplicable.

Third, the netcode. This is gamer speak for how efficiently the game transmits information. It must be worse as I'm frequently getting the "He killed me with one bullet, killcam shows guy putting out a cigarette then picking up his gun and firing an entire clip into me before even fired my first bullet" situations.

Running: In MW2, I frequently was able to retreat from deadly situations, or run past a dangerous doorways while taking minimal damage. No more. I frequently get gunned down immediately and I'm at a loss as to why. All I know is this game has made it much harder to survive taking a few hits, which, again, is counter-intuitive with stopping power missing.

Multi-kills: It may just be me, but they seem much, much rarer than in MW2. Excluding kill-streaks as well. A likely combination of lag and nerfed weapons, but the outcome has been I've come upon several 1 on 2 situations to my advantage only to die to second person regardless.

Spawn system: And here we come upon the coup de grace of the terrible gameplay in this game. I'd argue in any game there are only a few essential parts: The gun mechanics, the player mechanics, the maps, and the spawns. If any of these is too poorly implemented it will break the game. And consensus (on these forums) appears to be that these are worst designed spawns of possibly any FPS we have ever played.

To call the system indifferent is to be at best kind and at worst ignorant. The system is inept and oblivious. It shows disdain for the concept of territory ownership and terrorizes those who would do anything but run directly from their spawn position as if it contained a crate of C4 primed to explode. It is an abomination and an affront to organized gameplay and general situational awareness.

For those of you who have played with us, Subie again posited last night that the spawn system was a conscious decision of Treyarch and not the vile spew of a particularly incompetent programmer. It doesn't seem possible. It would be biggest "too far" of all Treyarch's too far's this game. Did they really hate camping this much? Did they really want to sabotage team play this hard?

I can't accept that is the thinking behind this. Without WaW to compare to, I'm simply left thinking that the spawn system was a lazy afterthought that wasn't tested properly. Or a flaw too large to fix before the game set sail for stores with Activision's gun to its back. The spawn system is utter chaos, and I won't believe this was what Treyarch wished to promote when people played their game.

Bottom Line: My best conclusion is it all comes down to connection now. Every online game suffers from this, but Treyarch's gameplay decisions exacerbate the situation.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2010, 05:37 PM

Just realized something... we no longer have deathstreaks in this game.

So, the obvious question is... Painkiller or this Spawn system? Pick your poison.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2010, 07:56 PM

Sticks and Stones : Shite

Gun game : Great fun, until you get stuck with the L96 and everyone else has rocket launchers. Lot of work for 30 wooden dollars though.

Network performance is so much better for me. That patch did something magic. 8 in a party chat, with 6 of those in a game party tonight, no problems.

Now Treyarch, use the same devs to look at your monstrosity of a spawn algorithm.

I likey the G11. Pity that you can't silence it.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2010, 03:01 PM

WE"VE HEARD THAT BEFORE
Not my fault you live on the east coast. Usually by the time I'm on you're almost done for the night. Anyways, I sure hope to see you guys on when I can actually get on the game.
( Last edited by KCrosbie; Nov 20, 2010 at 03:26 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2010, 08:36 PM

Been playing the Pure TDM tonight, excellent.

G11 is good for HC but not std games, I need a full-auto weapon.

In other news, got shot once by Kavvika, then the game ended, then he left. I presume he was scared.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2010, 11:00 PM

Petrified.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2010, 09:07 AM

I would have let you play on the same team as me to avoid embarrassement.

G11 with the low powered scope is growing on me. If I can ever get Sleight of Hand Pro then it might be my weapon of choice. No need for scavenger with over 100 rounds.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2010, 03:29 PM

Sleight of Hand Pro wouldn't effect G11 with a scope.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Sleight of Hand Pro wouldn't effect G11 with a scope.
Really? I thought that it sped up aiming down the sight for all weapons.

I gave in to peer pressure and did something that I shouldn't have, I prestiged. It isn't worth it.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2010, 08:15 PM

Sleight of Hand
Ability: Gives a faster reload time by reducing your weapons reload time in half. This is extremely useful with weapons that have long reload times, like shotguns and light machine guns.

Pro Ability: Allows you to aim down the sight ~50% faster than normal. This doesn't work with weapons that have scopes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2010, 04:37 AM

Well shit. I'm presuming the laser and holo 'thingies' aren't counted as scopes.

The iron sights aren't so bad on the G11, it could still be my assault rifle of choice.

Oh yeah, didn't realise that you lose all your money when you prestige.

Forum Links
Forum Rules