Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > my iPod tastes like burning...

my iPod tastes like burning...
maccarrp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 11:50 AM

okay firewire/hot sync, whatever you want to call it, take it literally because it really fires up my iPod. after an hour the iPod is very, very warm, and when you hold it to your nose you can actually smell burning (little like plastic burning - nothing too dramatic). nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. everything works fine. although, until it cools down to room temperature, the screen is a little dark at the bottom, apparently a reaction from the heat. is this just a normal reaction as the hard drive is used, similar to the heat issues with the TiBooks? has anyone noticed the same thing?

-ralph

dillerX
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2002, 02:42 PM

Mine will get very warm while fast charging, other than that, it is cool.

Done it hundreds of times, no problems so far.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2002, 02:52 PM

Mine too I was concerned when I first got it - it was downright HOT, but it seems to be working fine...
Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

ryudo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 03:18 PM

I think you have something wrong with your pod, it really shouldn't get that hot. Mine gets hot when it is plugged into the mac, but not to the point where the screen changes colors. and it is never hot when plugged into the wall.

maccarrp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 03:23 PM

i think it could be because i play music off of it the whole time it's connected to my mac. so the drive spins the whole time. whatcha think?

velocipede
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2002, 10:47 AM

Mine does the same thing, even though I don't use it to play music when it's connected. I think the heat is from the hard drive spinning and the battery charging, since (when it's connected to the Mac) the HD spins even when it's not being used.

ryudo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 11:44 AM

I don't know if you saw this in my earlier post, but much props for the reference to ralph wiggums!!

Velocipede and Maccarp, have you guys updated to the new firmware yet? After I updated mine, I noticed that the heat is negligible when plugged into my cpu. Even inside my marware case. I do not think that it constantly spins anymore.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2002, 02:29 AM

You guys should be carefully with the over heateing because it will take life out of the battery.
The only time I plug mine into My G4 is when I need to sync my songs, other then that its pluged in to my car.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 02:35 AM

best title ever?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

velocipede
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2002, 03:39 PM

<QUOTE>Velocipede and Maccarp, have you guys updated to the new firmware yet? After I updated mine, I noticed that the heat is negligible when plugged into my cpu. Even inside my marware case. I do not think that it constantly spins anymore.</QUOTE>

Yeah, I'm running 1.2 on my iPod, but it still gets pretty warm when it's plugged into my Mac. Charging through the adapter doesn't seem to change the temp, though. I've got one of the original 5 gig models, maybe they've upgraded the battery since then?

<QUOTE>
I don't know if you saw this in my earlier post, but much props for the reference to ralph wiggums!!
</QUOTE>

I second those props...

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 04:20 PM

A while back Apple posted a TCL warning telling people NOT to charge thier iPods while in a case, as it would damage the screen. I think the iPod has some heat issues, but nothing too serious when used as recommended.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 10:57 PM

Best Wiggum refernce EVER,

beautifully done, made me laugh out loud...

I think the heat is OK. (at least the iPod isn't too $$ to replace

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2002, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:
Best Wiggum refernce EVER,

beautifully done, made me laugh out loud...

I think the heat is OK. (at least the iPod isn't too $$ to replace

Lee
WHAT>?!??! YEEEEEEEEEEEW IDIOT!!!!

those things cost a fortune.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2002, 06:30 PM

Did someone say that they listened to music while the ipod was plugged into their mac? On my powerbook I can't use the iPod to listen to music when it is plugged into the firewire port. I can do it when I have it plugged into the AC adapter, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules