Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Fallout 3 Official Thread

Fallout 3 Official Thread (Page 5)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2009, 07:48 AM

This game is a black hole. How does anyone actually focus enough to complete a quest? I find myself wandering, exploring, shooting raiders / super mutants, looking for stuff to sell etc etc, then suddenly its 1am and I MUST goto bed before work the next day. I force myself to take a break and thrash about in CoD4, but it doesn't last long.

I don't seem to be levelling up very quickly.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2009, 10:32 PM

Broken Steel - Trailer (WARNING- contains spoilers for ending of fallout 3)
Release date tomorrow.
anyone picking this up, anyone, anyone, fatty?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2009, 10:36 PM

Your damn skippy I am!

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Your damn skippy I am!
I figured so, i'll be picking it up too (if it was even a question)

kentuckyfried
Senior User
May 4, 2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
This game is a black hole. How does anyone actually focus enough to complete a quest? I find myself wandering, exploring, shooting raiders / super mutants, looking for stuff to sell etc etc, then suddenly its 1am and I MUST goto bed before work the next day. I force myself to take a break and thrash about in CoD4, but it doesn't last long.

lol....

Man, I was playing this game on my ps3 so much. I must've logged in at least 120 hrs according to the logs (and this doesn't even count the times when I screwed up and had to replay sections over again).

I've yet to get back to it since the ps3 YLOD'ed in Feb. Still want to go back and get all the trophies from the latest patch.

I hope there's a goty edition that will include all the expansions, otherwise I'll pick it up again once I get a new mac to replace my dying macbook.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2009, 11:45 PM

no DLC for PS3, sorry

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 5, 2009, 06:31 AM

Broken Steel is up. So tempted to call in to work...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 12:11 PM

Oh yes, I will be getting this as soon as I get home. I too wish I could call in sick to work, but my boss is a tool so....

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2009, 12:13 PM

I'll have to wait until later on tonight to play it, expect to be still playing come sun-up.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 5, 2009, 02:52 PM

This really sucks. I downloaded this morning, and I'm going out of town on Thursday for a week and a half. Not going to be able to play until I get back. Ugh.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2009, 02:06 AM

So far pretty cool. Much more challenging than the other DLC packs.

Advice for your character: Find/buy/steal the Dart Gun schematics...you'll know when to use it, and you'll need it.

Meet my Deathclaw buddy, his name is Slashy.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 06:03 AM

^ and a very suitable name it is as well.

Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 11:50 AM

Oh yes, the Dart Gun has been invaluable against Death Claws. Highly recommended.

I'm liking Broken Steel so far.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 6, 2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Oh yes, the Dart Gun has been invaluable against Death Claws. Highly recommended.

I'm liking Broken Steel so far.
Maroma is coming out of the woodwork
In other news, i'm waiting till finals are over to put my balls back into captial wasteland.

Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 07:20 PM

I'm much better tasting when ingested in small doses. Too much of me causes nausea and minor nosebleeds. I care too much for you MacNNers to put you through that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2009, 04:42 PM

Tesla Cannon FTW!

Also, man those Feral Ghoul Reavers take some damage eh?

Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2009, 07:59 PM

Hell yes, my favorite weapon is now the Tesla Cannon. That thing busts asses, even my own if hit something that's too close to me. I've died a couple times already from doing that. I love taking out the helicopter vehicles in one shot with that beast. Couple that weapon with the Tesla Armor and boost your Energy Weapon skill to 100 (Big Guns too I suppose) and you are dangerous!

And damn those Ghoul Reavers are crazy. Alien Blaster seems to be the best weapon against them that I've found. Gauss Rifle also works well at knocking them down and keeping them away, most times.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 10, 2009, 01:11 AM

roommate took the TV for the summer, I'm picking up a new TV at work on monday, then i'll be putting my balls back in the wasteland. Hows broken steel comparing to the previous two DLC's?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2009, 01:23 AM

Best of the bunch. The new missions and locations are sweet and after you beat those there's still the task of leveling to 30. Combine that with some sweet new weapons, and yeah, worth the admission price.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2009, 10:20 PM

For those who have beaten Broken Steel's main story-line.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 13, 2009, 11:06 PM

Finally got a new TV today so got to download "Broken Steel", its awesome.
Fatty i'm wondering how you didn't get the "death from above" achievement but yet you have got the other two....

its taking all i have to not click that spoiler tag !

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2009, 07:34 AM

There is a problem on Microsoft's side regarding the achievements showing up, someday they'll fix it.

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2009, 12:04 PM

Yeah they didn't count that same achievement for me as well. I heard there is some sort of a user fix, but the guy I work with who tried it said it didn't work for him so he just loaded an old game and redid that quest. I think I'll wait a while and see if they fix it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2009, 12:52 PM

It awarded me the achievement on my machine, it just isn't showing up online. I don't think I'd be able to get it again with another save since it would still be on my GT.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 14, 2009, 01:02 PM

Mine unlocked and has been showing up....weird.
Finished the story of "Broken Steel" today, that last section was pretty difficult for me (0 stimpacks/Quarter health and could only find 3 in the area i was in)

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2009, 01:03 PM

I hope you managed to find the Alien Blaster ammo located in the mobile base before you destroyed it, because I didn't.

I finished the game with over 150 Stimpacks

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2009, 01:19 PM

There was an Alien Blaster gun at the Air Force Base as well. I used it to repair the one I already had.

There is also a stash of Alien Blaster ammo where you got the Tesla Coil in that one quest.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2009, 01:20 PM

Also, save your "Here and Now" perk for level 29, unless you want to gain 4500XP three times for all the achievements. Yet another thing I screwed up.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
There was an Alien Blaster gun at the Air Force Base as well. I used it to repair the one I already had.

There is also a stash of Alien Blaster ammo where you got the Tesla Coil in that one quest.
Considering I have all locations discovered and generally got every item known to man it's funny I did most of that last quest without discovering the Tesla Cannon, and I had no idea there was AB ammo there as well. D'oh.

Another sweet area for Alien Blaster ammo (96 shots, to be exact) is west of the Jury Street Metro Station in a large radioactive crater.

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2009, 04:59 PM

The Tesla Canon was inside a crate just after you got off of the train at the Air Force Base. It also contains ammo and a holotape with orders from whatshisface.

I did that missions twice, and I found all sorts of stuff I didn't find the first time, including the Alien Blaster.

BTW, if any of you haven't used this site, I highly recommend it for finding things and making sure you see all there is in the game:

Broken Steel - Fallout Wiki - The Vault

Here's what they say about that 2nd Alien Blaster location:

In the Broken Steel DLC, another one can be found at Adams Air Force Base. It is held in the armory inside a locked box (Hard lockpick) in the giant Mobile Base Crawler. There are also alien power cells in the numerous ammunition boxes in the room. There are 4 ammunition boxes that contain 9 power cells each (significantly more if you have the Scrounger perk), and the Armory Master also has some on his corpse. There is a fairly good chance the Armory Master, a Security Officer or a member of the Enclave Squad Sigma will pick up the Alien Blaster before you can make your way to the armory where it is held. If the gun container is empty, be sure to check the corpses of everyone in the vicinity.

finboy
May 14, 2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post

OMG I can't believe I missed this thread all this time. I've done the 360 version through The Pitt and up to the final quest. What a SINKHOLE of time. My wife is convinced I'll never finish.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2009, 12:17 PM

Got my 30!

Final thoughts on Broken Steel.

Best value DLC for any game I own thus far. New enemies are extremely hard to battle, especially if there is more than one. The Albino Radscorpion is just about invincible and deals out an absurd amount of damage. The new Tri-Beam Laser Rifle and Tesla Cannon are great weapon additions and the new areas were consistent yet fresh.

All I have left now are 8 more speech successes and the last 7 or so ingots in The Pitt and Fallout with be completed. I have every location discovered, almost every unique weapon and armor, all the goodies from Operation: Anchorage, and soon all the goodies from The Pitt.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 19, 2009, 12:16 PM

i'm gonna have to step away from COD4 to get my 30 achievements, what missions/stuff did you do to help gain all the exp? i think i finished the story at about level 25/26

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 19, 2009, 12:22 PM

Surprised I'm the first to post this.

IGN: Aliens Invade Fallout 3
(Automatically retrieve titles from links was finally enabled by default!!)

Summing it up:

- 2 new DLC add-ons for Fallout 3. Point Lookout (based on the park) and Mothership Zeta (aliens!)
- ALL DLC will be coming to the PS3.

AWESOME!

In other news, though I have played a few of the Fallout 3 DLC's, I don't actually own any yet. Yeah, I know. But I haven't gamed in soo long. And I recently picked up Left 4 Dead, hoping to get in on that action. Again, it's been shelved for a later time... Ah, once summer starts...
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2009, 12:37 PM

Considering the amount of dick-slapping the Guitar Hero games do to their audience by releasing full priced 'new' games every month I really cannot praise Bethesda enough for their powerhouse of gaming excellence. Even with the two unreleased DLC packs prices added in that would make 100 dollars for a massive ARPG game and five added packs of content. Compare that with 6 Guitar Hero iterations (which there actually are) and that would cost you 360 dollars....without the guitars.

Two more DLC packs are almost astounding at this point, I really can't get enough of the F3 universe and Bethesda is amazingly keeping up with me. They got my money.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
i'm gonna have to step away from COD4 to get my 30 achievements, what missions/stuff did you do to help gain all the exp? i think i finished the story at about level 25/26
Are you killing Super Mutants for Paladin Tristan? That gives you a sh!tload of XP, and if you set the game to hard or very hard killing them is quite a bit of XP too.

Do any quests your character hasn't completed yet, kill plenty of Overlords, and just basically loot and pillage all you see. I re-did Operation: Anchorage as a level 29 and got to 30 by the end (again set of very hard difficulty)

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Surprised I'm the first to post this.

IGN: Aliens Invade Fallout 3
(Automatically retrieve titles from links was finally enabled by default!!)

Summing it up:

- 2 new DLC add-ons for Fallout 3. Point Lookout (based on the park) and Mothership Zeta (aliens!)
- ALL DLC will be coming to the PS3.

AWESOME!
Oh hell yes! I gotta hand it to Bethesda, they are churning out a lot of solid extra content. Sure we gotta pay, but its well worth it to me.

Can't wait to battle aliens on a mothership. Hot dang!

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2009, 04:52 PM

Regarding Point Lookout...

It's also big. Really big. It's a mini wasteland swamp to explore
I hold Bethesda fully responsible for the waste of my life 2009 has been thus far.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2009, 02:06 AM

I hate to say it, but I was a little disappointed with this game.

Maybe I should give it another chance. What do you guys think?
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2009, 07:41 AM

I don't know what you expected, but I love this game and all it's add-ons.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2009, 03:21 PM

Even though my "Death From Above" achievement is still MIA on XBL, I would like to congratulate myself for 100% on Fallout 3. Seems I only had three really obvious Steel Ingots left and only a handful of Speech Successes.

Now I just gotta wait for the next round of DLC for this awesome game.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 24, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Even though my "Death From Above" achievement is still MIA on XBL, I would like to congratulate myself for 100% on Fallout 3. Seems I only had three really obvious Steel Ingots left and only a handful of Speech Successes.

Now I just gotta wait for the next round of DLC for this awesome game.
Good work sek, i figure i'll finish all mine up as the next DLC comes out.
I'd like to get my 30 but i'm stuck in cod4

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2009, 04:02 PM

Point Lookout Teaser Trailer

Drops June 23rd, looks AWESOME, could easily best Broken Steel as the better DLC pack. Has that creepy "deliverance" feel to it.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2009, 05:05 PM

Oh man, they just keep em coming and they are all great. I cannot wait for this to be released. My only wish is that they'd raise the level cap with each DLC, even if its just a few levels or so. But that's small potatoes. I will have my stupid MS points ready for this one.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2009, 05:08 PM

I'm curious sek, since you have all the achieves, what are you doing in the game nowadays (I still see you playing)

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 3, 2009, 05:24 PM

lol

I can't tell you how many times last year I was up until 4 a.m. in the morning, still plugging away.

The tragedy here is only that I have to do it over again after my console died, with no backup.

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
OMG I can't believe I missed this thread all this time. I've done the 360 version through The Pitt and up to the final quest. What a SINKHOLE of time. My wife is convinced I'll never finish.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I'm curious sek, since you have all the achieves, what are you doing in the game nowadays (I still see you playing)
I don't know what sek is doing, and I know you weren't asking me, but I have all achievements now and I still play and plan to play more just to get more gear and such for my character. Even though I've played this game to death, I still find areas that I've never explored, sometimes stumbling upon rare ammo or other rare gear to snag. But mostly just to kill time and run around shooting at stuff.

That reminds me, I need to hold a garage sale and sell all my useless crap I have in my locker.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2009, 05:31 PM

I was running under the theory that the achievements are usually the last thing you clean up.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2009, 05:37 PM

Well I have this little running competition with medium 9 to see who can get all of the achievements first in Fallout and L4D, which is why I personally got them before I did other misc stuff. He beat me in Fallout, but I think I'm slightly ahead in L4D.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Playing on Very Hard difficulty, setting up a not-totally-maxxed-out character to enjoy the new DLC with, and still discovering new places I haven't yet found...which is impressive given the amount of places I already discovered and my overall play time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules