Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can a router or cable modem hold any DNS info at all?

Can a router or cable modem hold any DNS info at all?
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2009, 03:04 PM

I'm getting rather lost as to what the issue is here.
I have a new site and the other day the site was linking properly then stopped. I double checked my DNS settings with my domain provider "NetFirms.com" and everything looks right.

When I go to my domain I get "404 Not Found". I have tested this on the 8 different broswers I have on my desktop and ensuring I cleared all cache, tested with two other laptops here at the house and also booted up Virtual MS XP to see if I can get anything and I still get "404 Not Found". I sent the domain link to some friends through msn and everyone I send it to gets the page they should see which is a construction page for my site. Oddly I'm the only one that can not see my own domain without getting error 404.

My ticket/reply from NetFirms.com says they see the construction page as well.

It's been a couple days like this and can not figure out what's up. I have rebooted/cycled the modem and router and still nothing has changed.

Any ideas with what could be the issue.

Tks,

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2009, 03:39 PM

It wouldn't be the router holding old DNS information, it would be the OS, which happens at times. Try this: Open the Terminal and type "dig domain.com" where domain.com is your domain name, then press return. It will do a DNS query on the name and should update it if need be. That's how I fixed a similar problem I once ran into.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2009, 03:40 PM

Have you installed some pron video codecs lately ?

-t

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It wouldn't be the router holding old DNS information, it would be the OS, which happens at times. Try this: Open the Terminal and type "dig domain.com" where domain.com is your domain name, then press return. It will do a DNS query on the name and should update it if need be. That's how I fixed a similar problem I once ran into.
Gave it a go and this is was I got:

My Domain is www.TwistedMac.com and the domain should show me this on the page with Bart & Homer which is what all my friends get when they go to TwistedMac.com but I still just get the 404 error.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Have you installed some pron video codecs lately ?

-t
Nothing as of late plus I have tried going to TwistedMac.com from my other two laptops and through a virtual system. So it should not be something on my computer itself I would think.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2009, 06:39 PM

This is getting very strange now.

I just reset my router and re-programed it, went to my domain and it showed up as it should. When I went away from the page and went back, I was getting the 404 error again. I then cleared my cache and also used other browsers and still got the 404 error.

Second step, I remove the router and plugged my desktop directly to the modem, restarted the cable modem and once I got an IP address, went to my domain, I got the page I should stating that it's under construction then I refreshed the page, same thing happen, I got the 404 page as well after clearing cache and tested with other browsers.

No idea with what hell could be causing this mess?

( Last edited by carterx; May 27, 2009 at 06:48 PM. )

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2009, 12:23 AM

Anyone else have an idea what could cause this. I need to have access to my own site yet can not. Can someone go to TwistedMac.com , once loaded, close your browser and try to go back to the site. Looking to see if anyone is having this issue.

I have already ruled out that it's not the computer as I have tried on 4 different computers, removed the router and still got the issue.

Tks,

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2009, 12:40 AM

Your site works fine for me, including closing and reopening browsers (tried several) and going to the site again. They all worked.

Your other computers might be set up similarly and could share some common issue. I assume you have checked your DNS entries in the Network Settings? Take one of your laptops to a coffee shop or car repair place (or Apple Store), somewhere where internet access is provided, and see if the problem persists. That would tell you it is specific to the way you have configured your computer(s), or if there is something going on with your internet provider.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2009, 01:22 AM

Thanks. Asked on a local bike forum if anyone that is in my area with the same Internet provider to try. I have been reading up and they have been known to block sites. No idea why they would block mine, but ran out of ideas.

gaming4fun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2009, 01:33 AM

Maybe they blocked a range of IP addresses and your webpage was in that range.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2009, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by gaming4fun View Post
Maybe they blocked a range of IP addresses and your webpage was in that range.
By using the server address and my share space I can access the page without an issue. For some reason it's just when going to the domain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules