Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 2.0 Software Launch

iPhone 2.0 Software Launch
cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2008, 12:54 PM

I found this link when searching for any iPhone updates and it seems like there's a possibility (isn't there always?) that the App Store, and thus the iPhone 2.0 software, might launch early.

No new information, just wanted to post this. I'm a sucker for any news article that seems to hint at an early release, since Friday feels like an eternity way.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2008, 04:35 PM

There was talk early on of an early 2.0 release but recent reports say it'll all be on the 11th.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2008, 04:41 PM

I'd say if it doesn't come tomorrow (Tuesday) then it won't come until Friday.

I'm reeeeally hoping for tomorrow. I want apps!!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'd say if it doesn't come tomorrow (Tuesday) then it won't come until Friday.

I'm reeeeally hoping for tomorrow. I want apps!!
I agree. It's tomorrow or Friday (July 11). I'm hoping for tomorrow as well. I want to see how much 2.0 changes the user experience on my 1st gen iPhone before I decide whether I want to buy the 3G.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2008, 06:24 PM

I just thought that it would be in Apple's interest to release 2.0 before Friday, if for nothing else to ease some of the initial traffic on their servers. They're either going to have every single person who's interested (current iPhone owners, and new buyers/upgraders) flooding the update and app store servers on Friday or they can let the current iPhoners flood their servers a few days early so Friday isn't potentially a terrible experience.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 10:49 PM

My guess is that iTunes 7.7 will be out by Thursday since it's required for the app store as well as activating the new iPhone, but the iPhone software could still come as late as Friday.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 7, 2008, 11:28 PM

It would be nice to see iPhone 2.0 early; with the imminent launch of MobileMe on Wednesday, it would also make sense: from the Mac.com home page:
MobileMe Launch
7/9/2008, 6pm-12am PT

As part of the MobileMe launch, www.mac.com will be taken offline at 6pm PT on Wednesday, July 9th.

Members will be unable to access www.mac.com or any .Mac services during this time with the exception of .Mac Mail accessed via a desktop application, iPhone, or iPod touch.

MobileMe will be available as soon as possible during this maintenance window.
It would make sense to have staggered launches rather than a deluge of new services all at once; start with iTunes 7.7 and iPhone 2.0 software, then switch on MobileMe, then launch the iPhone 3G. Spreads the load out somewhat.

But then again, with all the marketing horsepower, everything at once makes for better hype.

cwosigns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2008, 08:54 PM

iPhone 2.0 will be available by midnight Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) June 9th; taken directly from: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

What will I need for my iPhone or iPod touch to use MobileMe?
You will need to update to software version 2.0 or later to enable push mail, push contacts, push calendar, and push bookmarks. This software update will be available when MobileMe launches.
( Last edited by cwosigns; Jul 8, 2008 at 09:50 PM. )
Chris

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2008, 09:02 PM

Please, people, at least wait a few hours before jumping on the update ... if only to read about any bugs being experienced by others.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 8, 2008, 09:13 PM

Nope, not gonna do it...I'm gonna pound the "Check for Updates" button repeatedly until my fingers bleed!

Well, OK, not really...but I will update at first opportunity. If it sucks, I can drop my SIM in a spare phone or (hopefully) downgrade back to 1.1.4 until the problems are fixed.

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Please, people, at least wait a few hours before jumping on the update ... if only to read about any bugs being experienced by others.

Yea, why not. We have waited this long for actual Apps anyway. Whats another day or so

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
... or (hopefully) downgrade back to 1.1.4 until the problems are fixed.
It's that "hopefully" that I don't fully trust. Apple has never offered easy downgrade or "undo" paths for their upgrades on any platform. I've been burned too many times by buggy Apple updates to jump on them when they're released. I prefer to watch the lemmings rather than be one of them.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
iPhone 2.0 will be available by midnight Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) June 9th; taken directly from: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

What will I need for my iPhone or iPod touch to use MobileMe?
You will need to update to software version 2.0 or later to enable push mail, push contacts, push calendar, and push bookmarks. This software update will be available when MobileMe launches.
Well that's good news! But now I hope they wait until I get home from work, since I'll be tortured if I have to sit here and read about others having fun with it all day.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 12:49 PM

Well that's good news! But now I hope they wait until I get home from work, since I'll be tortured if I have to sit here and read about others having fun with it all day.
I wouldn't count on that. He was just reading into something that probably wasn't intended. It will be available on Friday morning, I'd bet.

cwosigns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I wouldn't count on that. He was just reading into something that probably wasn't intended. It will be available on Friday morning, I'd bet.
I'm not reading into anything; that's what Apple stated very recently. And with the hype regarding the launch of MobileMe, iPhone 2.0 and iPhone 3G, I'd bet they're not going to overlook something like that.
Chris

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
I'm not reading into anything; that's what Apple stated very recently. And with the hype regarding the launch of MobileMe, iPhone 2.0 and iPhone 3G, I'd bet they're not going to overlook something like that.
I think that statement just meant that the iPhone 2.0 OS and MobileMe will be released around the same time, not exactly the same time. A 36-hour window (Wed. night to Fri. morning) seems reasonable to me. And I just don't think they're going to steal any thunder from the iPhone 3G launch by getting the software update out to original iPhone owners first.

But since you're so certain, I'm willing to bet you: If you're right, iPhone OS 2.0 should be out tonight, and if I'm right, it won't be out until Friday. Handshake?

cwosigns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 02:15 PM

I just don't think Apple will do a product/service release half-assed. A big part of MobileMe is how it integrates with iPhone. If it's up and running Thursday morning, people will (and should) expect to get the full benefit of the service. I just don't think they'll do it half-assed.
Chris

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 02:33 PM

DIdn't 1.1.3 come out a day or so before it was announced? I remember my buddy had it on his iPhone the day before it was official.

cwosigns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 03:04 PM

Per The Unofficial Apple Weblog, iTunes 7.7 will be available in a few hours which would pave the way for iPhone 2.0 (hopefully) to come tomorrow.
Chris

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
DIdn't 1.1.3 come out a day or so before it was announced? I remember my buddy had it on his iPhone the day before it was official.
1.1.2, but you're correct. I had it a day before it was released as well. I believe it was even MacRumors that reported how to download it and then install it, since it wasn't downloaded through iTunes til it was released.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
1.1.2, but you're correct. I had it a day before it was released as well. I believe it was even MacRumors that reported how to download it and then install it, since it wasn't downloaded through iTunes til it was released.
Ah yes. Makes me want to comb through the intarwebs to find 2.0

I'm sure it's up there somewhere. It sounds like though if MobileMe and 7.7 are going to drop tonight that 2.0 will as well. *fingers crossed*

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by gump2010 View Post
Your a ****ing douche bag. that site only says early july it doesnt say any specific date. Stop lying to people and getting they all excited.
Ok you can calm down now and get rid of that Henman!!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 09:40 PM

I'm pounding the "Check for Updates" button faster than grass through a goose. Gotta be on that cutting edge. So what if it bricks my first gen iPhone!

cwosigns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 09:49 PM

Your a ****ing douche bag. that site only says early july it doesnt say any specific date. Stop lying to people and getting they all excited.
First of all, it's "you're" not "your."

Second, MobileMe is launching tonight. The transition from .Mac to MobileMe FAQ says that the 2.0 software update will be available when MobileMe launches. That would be overnight.

How does that make me a douche bag?
Chris

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 10:03 PM

...and third it is "them all excited", not "they" all excited.

Word is 2.0 will be released tomorrow morning at 5 am PT. Now everyone get all excited already!
( Last edited by kcmac; Jul 9, 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: date)

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2008, 12:02 AM

You're new here, so I'll just be blunt. Change how you speak to others here or go find another forum to post in. There are plenty of forums where that sort of nonsense is not only tolerated, but encouraged. This is not one of them.
Nemo me impune lacesset

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 12:45 AM

Sigh, and with the further advent of new "Mac" users a la iPhone 3G, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of this going forward...

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
You're new here, so I'll just be blunt. Change how you speak to others here or go find another forum to post in. There are plenty of forums where that sort of nonsense is not only tolerated, but encouraged. This is not one of them.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 12:45 AM

1) Switch to decaf. No, seriously, switch to decaf.

2) Spell checking can be your friend. Or take a second and re-read your post to see if it makes any sense, much less have proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 03:46 AM

I just downloaded iTunes 7.7, but where is my 2.0 software? Probably not till morning...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 04:04 AM

.mac is still down so it'll probably be up when the transition has been completed.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 04:11 AM

<---- can't wait a few more hours!
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 06:42 AM

App store is up in iTunes, and I've already downloaded a bunch of apps in preparation of 2.0.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2008, 07:33 AM

Me too! Some of these I've been waiting on for months!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
App store is up in iTunes, and I've already downloaded a bunch of apps in preparation of 2.0.
Don't forget to recommend your favorites in this thread.

</shameless plug>
•

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 11:13 AM

2.0 is supposed to be available later today for iPhone and iPod touch users.

bhandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
2.0 is supposed to be available later today for iPhone and iPod touch users.
How is it you came across this little tidbit of information?

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 01:08 PM

It's available now. www.appleinsider.com

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bhandy View Post
How is it you came across this little tidbit of information?
It's basically written in Apple's support documents. And Apple's XML files tell all (that's how this download was found).

cwosigns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2008, 04:53 PM

I downloaded it and am running 2.0--now I really can't wait to upgrade tomorrow!
Chris

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2008, 06:25 PM

Worked well, but it took a long time to install. So far I have no complaints.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 06:47 PM

When is the OFFICIAL 2.0 gonna be released anyone know?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 06:49 PM

I wonder what Apple is waiting for? 2.0 is still not available through iTunes.

cwosigns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
When is the OFFICIAL 2.0 gonna be released anyone know?
As far as I know, this is the "official" 2.0. The file was found on a server where Apple queues software updates (the same server where I got a hold of the MobileMe branding update for OS X). I wouldn't have downloaded it and installed if I thought it was a hacked version.
Chris

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 07:24 PM

I think he meant official as in available through the official iTunes updating. I'm wondering why Apple has the App Store up on iTunes for people to browse, but they can't use any of those apps until Apple releases 2.0 through iTunes (for those who aren't able or won't download the installer themselves).

The OSX Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 07:44 PM

I just updated to the 2.0 version. Phone took about 30 mins to update. Now I am enjoying the application store. Super Monkey Ball rocks. Enjoying the ebay plugin as well.

Where is Flash and Java for the iPhone? Then it will be a complete platform for me.

But I am digging what apple has done so far...

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 08:14 PM

This 2.0 software is like having a new phone... I love it!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 08:18 PM

I think he meant official as in available through the official iTunes updating. I'm wondering why Apple has the App Store up on iTunes for people to browse, but they can't use any of those apps until Apple releases 2.0 through iTunes (for those who aren't able or won't download the installer themselves).
Probably because of the launch of the 3G in New Zealand today, they had to have something to show for that icon

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 08:23 PM

Very good point. That explains it, but I'm still drooling over these apps. And I'm one of those paranoid dorks who won't update until Apple officially releases it. Damn my paranoid dorkness!

SShoot3r
Jul 11, 2008, 01:23 PM

I can't seem to update for some reason. I click check for updates on the iphones/itunes menu and it says I already have the current version (1.1.4) Damnation.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 01:43 PM

Yeah, nobody can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules