Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new iBook G4 and dvd+r

new iBook G4 and dvd+r
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2003, 12:36 PM

Hello - I have a question for all you new G4 iBook owners - does the slot load combo drive read a burnt dvd+r disk? I'm planning on buying a new laptop over the holydays, but I have a large collection of things on dvd+r disks, and I need to be able to read them. Has anyone actually tried this? If not, I should be able to make it out to an apple store or chumpusa with a test disk next week or so.

Thanks in advance for any info...

macrick1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 02:39 PM

I have a new ibook g4. To my knowledge, the ibook g4 line does not support DVD burning at all (though I have seen postings to the contrary). At least from the tech specs I've read, it only supports burning CDs and reading DVDs. This is a non-issue for me since I have an iMac desktop that has the Superdrive.

My 2 cents worth :-)

moep
Senior User
Dec 7, 2003, 03:01 PM

to answer your question:

yup, mine does read dvd+r/dvd+rw/dvd-r/dvd-rw (recorded with a nec1300 in a doze 'puter) without a problem.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by stuffedmonkey:
Hello - I have a question for all you new G4 iBook owners - does the slot load combo drive read a burnt dvd+r disk?...
I don't know how well those discs hold up to fire...

Oh. Did you mean pre-recorded?

Sorry, I felt like making a joke.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

stuffedmonkey  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2003, 05:22 PM

Thanks Macrick!

Forum Links
Forum Rules