Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 16x superdrive, a new Combo drive, plus cash!

G5 16x superdrive, a new Combo drive, plus cash!
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2004, 11:14 PM

I was noticing something while looking at a new G5 dualie... In the custom configure screen, you can downgrade the 8x superdrive to a combo drivem and it takes 100$ off your order.

Then go to newegg.com - they have the Pioneer 108 dvd burner. The apple default one is the 107 I believe. Anyway the 108 is 16x +r, 16 x -r, plus dual layer support... They are selling it for 82$, free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...129-156&DEPA=1

So get the "downgraded" g5, swap the drive, get a much nicer drive, 18$ extra, plus a combo drive you can put in another mac or ebay.

I haven't tried it yet, mostly due to a glaring lack of funds to get a G5 - but anyone have a reason this would not work?

kupan787
Senior User
Sep 22, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by stuffedmonkey:
I was noticing something while looking at a new G5 dualie... In the custom configure screen, you can downgrade the 8x superdrive to a combo drivem and it takes 100$ off your order.

Then go to newegg.com - they have the Pioneer 108 dvd burner. The apple default one is the 107 I believe. Anyway the 108 is 16x +r, 16 x -r, plus dual layer support... They are selling it for 82$, free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...129-156&DEPA=1

So get the "downgraded" g5, swap the drive, get a much nicer drive, 18$ extra, plus a combo drive you can put in another mac or ebay.

I haven't tried it yet, mostly due to a glaring lack of funds to get a G5 - but anyone have a reason this would not work?
It is pretty much what I did. I ordered a G5 with a combo drive (saved $100), and then ordered a Sony dual layer drive (2.4x DL, 8xDVD+-R...) for around $80. I still have the spare combo drive (probably going to load it up into my PC...), saved myself $20, and got a better DVD burner!

PeterThomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 01:14 AM

So if you were to buy a Pioneer 107 drive, would you be able to burn from iDVD etc or does Apple use a custom firmware to prevent this?

On another note, is any special software needed to read dual layer disks, or do they just work like normal DVDs?

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2004, 06:49 AM

i had a 107 in an external case for my iBook, got my G5 with a combo drive, took this out and replaced with 107.

works a treat, go into G5 settings and is recognised as a 107 and is fully supported.

already burned an idvd movie made on imovie.

larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 08:02 AM

bells0

i want to do pretty much the same thing you did with the same computer but ive read some people saying that you need to get different standoffs for the pioneer drives. did you do that? did you use the ones from the combo drive? or none at all?
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2004, 10:55 AM

I did have a problem with gettin the 107 to line up. It sat too high with the original stand-offs and so crashed into the slide-down gate.

I called Apple about this and got nowhere, so i left it unsecured for a bit, which wasnt ideal, but at least it sat low enough to open and shut.

I then took the standoffs from the como to a local hardware shop and asked if they has the same but smaller [that is what is needed, the originals are to tall/long]. They didnt, but gave me a screw with the same thread and large head, but much shorter length. I then screwed these into bottom of 107 halfway so that the head would slot under the trap with enough room for it to sit in place and be shut tight.

Works perfectly, if a little DIY.

Sure there are other standoffs u can buy, but Apple Europe didnt have a clue.

Cheers and hope u get sorted!

Chris

majesticmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 01:32 PM

Duh, too late already ordered (ship 10/25). I need to replace the DVD drive in my PC. Will the one that comes with the powermac g5 be compatible with the PC world?

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 03:02 PM

I am thinking of doing this very thing with a G5 tower (that is if the G5 doesn't suck me in) but was wondering if all the iApps work without issue with the Pioneer A08 drive that for example newegg sells. Is some firmware flashing required like with the previous Pioneers. A buddy of mine had to tinker with the firmware of an older pioneer to get it to work with his eMac. Even when it worked iDVD didn't want to play nice. Hoping for some feedback.

kupan787
Senior User
Sep 22, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by PeterThomas:
So if you were to buy a Pioneer 107 drive, would you be able to burn from iDVD etc or does Apple use a custom firmware to prevent this?

On another note, is any special software needed to read dual layer disks, or do they just work like normal DVDs?
I can't comment about the Pioneer 107, but the Sony DL drive works with iDVD.

As far as special software needed for DL burning, at this time yes. I don't think the Finder or iDVD supports it yet. I know that Roxio (in their latest update) supports it, and I would bet that if DVD Studio Pro does dvd burning that it supports it as well.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 06:07 AM

no idea on the 108, but can confirm the 107 works with everything

think the 107 is or was used as the Superdrive in some Apple models and so doesn't need anything flashing for it to work straight away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules