Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Using 12" PB parts in an iBook

Using 12" PB parts in an iBook
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2003, 11:32 AM

Ok, so I was wondering....

I was looking at the QTVRs of the new 12" Powerbook G4. It looks as if it is actually the same frame as the iBook. Look at the layout of the ports, the location of the optical drive, the screen bezel, ect. Now the tinkerer in me is starting to wonder if the parts could be somewhat interchangeable. That could mean:

1) Get a logic board for a G4 12" inch off of ebay some time in the future, swap it into an ibook...

2) Case mode galore

3) somehow put a superdrive in an ibook

One of my clients has a 12" PB on order, so as soon as it gets in i will inspect it side by side with my wife's iBook and see what is going on.....

here are the qtvr links. If anyone has seen the new 12" up close, please tell me if I am way off base!

http://www.apple.com/hardware/gallery/

dencamp
Senior User
Jan 16, 2003, 12:24 PM

I thought I'd seen some side-by-side photos posted somewhere that show that the powerbook is actually more shallow. Could be wrong though.

ibook_steve
Jan 16, 2003, 02:22 PM

It can't be the same motherboard as the iBook. RAM access is on the bottom in the 12" PB while it is under the keyboard in iBook. Besides, the cooling solution in iBook could never handle a 10 to 20 watt G4 processor. Don't hold your breath on this mod/upgrade.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules