Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new ram possibly causing problems?

new ram possibly causing problems?
brent0saurus
Dec 23, 2005, 09:46 PM

i just installed 1 gb of crucial ram into my 15" ghz powerbook g4 1.67 GHZ (not the newest ddr2 ones) and i just tried to "verify disk" in disk utiility and i always get that stupid spinning wheel of death (can you feel my hatred?). then i get this message after 5 minutes or so: Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.

in the window it says that one HFS volume has been checked and that it needs repair. I know i need to boot from the disc to repair the volume but i'm afraid i'm going to lose all of my data. Could this error be from my ram or no?
Also, i ran xbench to see if i had any improvements in memory and i'm still scoring around a 30. I don't really understand xbench's ratings because it always compares me to some super awesome powermac g5. But should i be getting better ratings now that i have 2 gigs of ram vs the 1.5 gigs that i had before or is the scoring relative to how much ram you have? and if so shouldn't i be getting better than a 30??

to fill everyone in on the history of my ram, it came with 512, i added a gig of kingmax ram, then i recently got 1 gig of crucial and took out the 512 mb and put in the crucial ram. so i now i have 1 gig of kingmax and 1 gig of crucial.
thanks in advance for any information you can give me!

brent0saurus  (op)
Dec 23, 2005, 10:24 PM

i forgot to mention that if i keep disk utility running, it works when i try to verify disk but still give me the error. I also noticed that it says "illegal name." this is what comes up:
Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Illegal name
Illegal name
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

illegal name is in red in disk utility even though it won't show up in this message.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 11:38 PM

Do you still have the original RAM that came with the machine?

If so, put that RAM back in after you remove all the after-market RAM.

Then run the Disk Utility again. If it happens again, you might have a bad hard drive.

Do you have another hard drive around with OS X on it? If so, you can boot the Powerbook from that drive and run the same checks on the drive.

If you are anywhere near an Apple Store you should consider going there and have the Genius team look at it. Just make a reservation at home first, as the lines are long for the bar especially during the holidays.

Good luck!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 05:16 AM

Well, if you put the original RAM back in after taking all the after market RAM and it still has issues... it's STILL POSSIBLE that the aftermarket RAM gave you issues. The way to test it is to put the original RAM back in, REFORMAT the drive, and run it that way.

Your PowerBook should have came with something called the Apple Hardware Test. It may be part of your restore DVD. Put it in and restart the computer holding down the option key. It should show up a menu with which disk partitions to start up in. The one you want says something like "Apple Hardware Test (OF)." Choose the extended test.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2005, 04:49 PM

Sounds more like a disk or disk controller issue, but it's always a good idea to try to replicate the problem with recent hardware changes (RAM or any other stuff you'e added lately) reverted.

brent0saurus  (op)
Dec 25, 2005, 12:18 AM

i just googled my issue and found some other threads of people with the same issue. Supposedly it's a problem with Adobe CS2 Premium, which i have installed so that could very well be the problem. I don't know how to fix it, though. There are two files that everyone seems to believe are the problem but one person deleted the legal folder that they are in and now his volume info is corrupted...
there's a guy who seems to have fixed the problem but i don't really understand what he means or how to go about doing it... can anyone clear this up for me?

"After installing CS2, I saw the same problems that have been noted in other posts above (2 files with illegal names). I did some searching thru the various Legal folders and located the files. One of them I was able to simply drag to the trash. The other one was more problematic, as every time I tried to drag it out of the window, I would get a little red circle/slash next to the icon. Enabled root, went in thru Terminal and deleted the file with a 'rm'."

here's the link to the forum: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/grou...6006856731/p/1

thanks!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules