Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ipod skipping with higher bit rates?

ipod skipping with higher bit rates?
brent0saurus
Dec 28, 2005, 10:08 AM

my ipod has been skipping/freezing a lot lately and i think it may be because i've been ripping cds at higher bit rates (usually 192 kbps, sometimes higher). is it normal for it to do this? It seems like it happens most of the time now. whenever i select a song to play, it just stays in songs menu and doesn't do anything and i can't do anything. even if my move my thumb around the scroll wheel the back light doesn't come on, so it's definitely frozen. and then sometimes it will eventually start playing the album, but other times it is frozen for what seems like forever so i reset it by pushing in the select and menu button down and then the screen gets kind of frazzled (kind of like when you turn off a gameboy and the image of the game is still kind of there) and then the apple logo comes up and then (only as of late this part has been happening) i get the " ! folder " and then it resets itself and it's 'normal' again.
i recently rebuilt it with disk warrior and that didn't help.
if the ipod is supposed to do this then that's ridiculous. My ipod always was slower than the non color screen ones. i don't know why but whenever i selected stuff it would just take longer and screen transitions were jumpy (as it seems on all color screen ipods that i've seen).
my other question is can the video ipod handle higher bit rates? i assume it can because it can play videos but i have no idea what i'm talking about so i could be wrong in assuming this.

oh, and here are my specs: ...except i don't know how to describe my ipod besides that it's the 60 gb color screen ipod that isn't an ipod photo because apple just made all ipods with a color screen and discontinued ipod "photo". and i'm feeding it with a mac.
thanks for any info you can give me!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2005, 03:10 PM

I ripped all of my CDs to MP3 at 320kbps and have had no problems at all. Note that 320 kbps is the maximum supported by MP3, so I do not think it's the tunes themselves. And my iPod is the same 4G version as yours.

I think you have a bad iPod. If it's under warranty, send it back for replacement-it's not going to get better on its own.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brent0saurus  (op)
Dec 28, 2005, 08:10 PM

okay, thank you very much for your reply! now i know it's not just apple's fault which is good because they should be able to replace my ipod. do you have album artwork showing? i recently turned that off and it may have made a difference but i can't be sure because i haven't had enough time to test it. thanks again for your response!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2005, 09:18 AM

Album artwork shows on my iPod. I needed to "help" iTunes find the artwork for some of my CDs, but once I did, they all work fine. I haven't messed with changing settings like turning off album art.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brent0saurus  (op)
Dec 29, 2005, 03:48 PM

so something is probably wrong with my ipod... i guess i'll have to bring it in. thanks for the replies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules